PDA

View Full Version : JBL Center Studio LC2 vs. L880 / L890

arwun
11-11-2007, 08:30 AM
I am thinking about purchasing the JBL Studio L-Series speakers for a 16'x21'x9' theater room that I am building in the basement. I will have a projector, and hence a screen that is a ways above the floor w/ nothing underneath.

My Question is this: If I'm using a pair of L890 speakers as my main front L&R's, what's the best center channel to match? If I truely want the soundstage to have an exact match of timber, etc, should I purchase a single L890 or L880 to go along with the two sides, or should I purchase their complementary LC2 center channel, and mount it to the wall - which will sound better? Since most of the audio comes from the center channel in a theater room, I would think that it's the most important speaker; I am assuming that most people use two large speakers for their F L&R, and then use a smaller matching center channel speaker because of the fact that they have a CRT, LCD or Plasma TV that it has to incorporate with, no?

BTW, I'm also planning on utilizing one or two JBL L8400P subwoofers in the room. Do I need one or two? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

hjames
11-11-2007, 09:00 AM
I think you'll get the best response if you post ONE THREAD and wait for folks to reply.
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18920
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=18921

I've notice you started two threads this morning on the same topic. I've gotten help from a bunch of folks here over the 2 years I've been posting, but it works best if you can focus your question and just post it once. The dynamics here are that folks will reply to you and reply to the replies and its all tied together in one central discussion that will get you really good information. If its posted twice you don't get that same richness of response/ cross pollination of information.

No flames, just an FYI - good luck.

arwun
11-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes, I agree; sorry. Given the descriptions, I am a little confused about which sub-fourm this type of question should go into (Lansing Related Gear, or Lansing General Stuff)... that's why I posted it in both - hoping that the right people would see it in the proper place and it would take off from there.

MJC
11-11-2007, 10:51 AM
Using identical speakers is considered best, tho, some think that a center w/two mid-bass drivers fills in the middle of the front stage better.
If you have the room for a floorstanding speaker behind the screen, try it to see how you like it and compare it to using the LC2. Which is a very good center.
The entire Studio L series is very well matched.
As to if people use large L/R depends on what they use them for, 100% movies, or 50-50 for movies and music. And some just prefer large while others prefer small speakers. Other just don't have the space for large floorstanding speakers.

I am thinking about purchasing the JBL Studio L-Series speakers for a 16'x21'x9' theater room that I am building in the basement. I will have a projector, and hence a screen that is a ways above the floor w/ nothing underneath.
My Question is this: If I'm using a pair of L890 speakers as my main front L&R's, what's the best center channel to match? If I truely want the soundstage to have an exact match of timber, etc, should I purchase a single L890 or L880 to go along with the two sides, or should I purchase their complementary LC2 center channel, and mount it to the wall - which will sound better? Since most of the audio comes from the center channel in a theater room, I would think that it's the most important speaker; I am assuming that most people use two large speakers for their F L&R, and then use a smaller matching center channel speaker because of the fact that they have a CRT, LCD or Plasma TV that it has to incorporate with, no?

BTW, I'm also planning on utilizing one or two JBL L8400P subwoofers in the room. Do I need one or two? http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/images/smilies/confused.gif

arwun
11-12-2007, 06:10 AM
Using identical speakers is considered best, tho, some think that a center w/two mid-bass drivers fills in the middle of the front stage better.
If you have the room for a floorstanding speaker behind the screen, try it to see how you like it and compare it to using the LC2. Which is a very good center.
The entire Studio L series is very well matched.
As to if people use large L/R depends on what they use them for, 100% movies, or 50-50 for movies and music. And some just prefer large while others prefer small speakers. Other just don't have the space for large floorstanding speakers.

I have the space for large speakers, but will use the room for 75% movies / 25% music.

MJC
11-12-2007, 08:54 AM
I have the space for large speakers, but will use the room for 75% movies / 25% music.
One thing I just thought of is the L890/880 might only sold in pairs. The E Warehouse, for instants, only shows them paired up, but that is only one place. Other places might sell them in single units.

arwun
11-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Nope, a lot of on-line places sell them stand-alone.

scott fitlin
11-14-2007, 03:48 PM
By me, PC Richard and Sons, carries the JBL Studio Series. I happened to be there a week ago, pricing out a plasma and LCD flat screen. Anyway, I listened to these affordable JBL,s! And, they are good! Yes, they are. Very dynamic and alive. Bass was really good considering they have small woofers. Highs and mids were nice, and they are AFFORDABLE! They were really dynamic sounding to me.

I thought to myself, they would be nice in my apt living room, with a good powered sub, really rocking, at reasonable price! but, I already have a system. I wouldnt have believed it if i didnt hear them, but, I really liked them, best of all, i thought they were fun to listen to. Thats important, IMO!

WAY TO GO, JBL! :thmbsup:

MJC
11-14-2007, 06:42 PM
Yes, for the price the Studio L series is a very good line. And even a better bargain @ about 50% of retail, as they are sold at The E Warehouse.

scott fitlin
11-14-2007, 08:07 PM
Yes, for the price the Studio L series is a very good line. And even a better bargain @ about 50% of retail, as they are sold at The E Warehouse.I know, and thats a plus. But i was shocked when I heard the L880,s! 6.5in woofers, and they make good bass, and get down fairly low, considering cab size, driver size, and price, and they were really dynamic and punchy too, lots of fun energetic drive. the mids were nice and full sounding, with a bit of warmth. Highs were clean, smooth and easy to listen to.

I never expected to be that impressed, but I must say, I was. And for what someone can score these for with smart shopping, they are a bargain, GOOD sound for reasonable price!

Vintage Nut
11-15-2007, 11:13 AM
Without opening any discussion on any sort of comparison on the L250/250Ti/TL260 60th anniversary models, it could be pointed out here that the speaker components in the TL260 60th anniversary appear to be the same ones found in the current L-series offered by JBL.

Titanium Dome
11-16-2007, 08:32 PM
I'd say that's pretty accurate, right down to the 12" driver that appears in the L8400P.