PDA

View Full Version : Need help with Santana project

halfdef
11-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Way back when, I purchased new the Altec Lansing 911 with the 420A Santana speakers. The transisters don't last long and after too many repairs, I am "modernizing." The Santanas stay, added is a Pioneer Elite VSX 52TX, a pair of Mission 772 speakers and a single Sonus Faber Electra for a center. Is this making sense? Will they work together? My ears aren't that good anymore, and I think it is OK, but it is hard to tell. I would appreciate anyone familiar with these components to speculate how well they will work together. The room is large, easy 30' sq. with a 15' ceiling. Glenn

CONVERGENCE
11-10-2007, 01:33 PM
These speakers you bought are expensive. You have a mix match system that will require RTA. If you still have your receipts keep them. I would go Altec for all the speakers. I would choose Duplex in 620 cabs.

This way you have a seamless system don't require RTA and can keep your Santana's.

My 02. cents worth.

I can't stand Franken speaker systems.

halfdef
11-10-2007, 04:24 PM
What is RTA?:blink:

CONVERGENCE
11-10-2007, 04:58 PM
RTA stands for Real Time Analysis. We measure in real time the output of the speakers between 20 and 20k and make sure that at 300hz it has the same DB out at another frequency say 2000HZ. This makes for linear reproduction. Then the same principle is applied for the ensemble of the speakers.

In a Movie theater the sound system is adjusted frequently using this technique . It requires an RTA with a microphone and a parametric EQ
or active cross over to make the adjustments.

In large systems you might have two different sound speakers this make
the job even longer.

That's why we try to limit ourselves to one brand of speakers.

halfdef
11-10-2007, 05:06 PM
The Pioneer Elite VSX 52TX amp has a microphone/process that is suppose to, in conjunction with the TV screen, adjust the speaker outputs. Is that what you mean?:)

CONVERGENCE
11-10-2007, 05:29 PM
Basically that's what it should do but to what extent does it do it . Speakers individually and then as a whole.

Since your using multi types of speakers I doubt it can make them sound seamless as a whole.

halfdef
11-10-2007, 07:15 PM
Well, it has a microphone that you set up "at ear level, near your normal listening position." It then sends out a series of tones at high volume. "The receiver uses that information from a series of test tones to optimize the speaker settings and equalization for your particular room." I need a 25" S cable to get the TV hooked up, which is used by the receiver to display information, that I don't have right now. This is for surround sound, bi-amping speakers and such. That is why I thought that the Missions and the Sonus Faber would work as the performance levels are set automatically. However, maybe the levels are not going to jive because of differing efficiencies. ??? The Altecs have to be much more efficient than the others. Thanks for replying, Glenn

JBL 4645
11-25-2007, 01:04 PM
Ideally the tone with matching fronts LCR should sound like (Left HISS, Centre HISS, Right HISS) rather than ( Left HISS Centre hiss Right HISS) there should be equal tonal matching. The centre channel can exhibit just as much bass than the left and right or even the LFE.1 since it’s a full range channel and can be quite unpredictable at times; you never know when it’s going to slam with some kick!

halfdef
11-25-2007, 07:42 PM
I got the 25ft. S cable, hooked up the TV and did the automatic thing. Not satisfactory. Then did it manual. Got it good. The sound is excellent on movies. Different tracks and dialog are "good enough" for me. The Santanas are the key. The Sonus Faber is good as the center on dialog for SS.