PDA

View Full Version : L300 Grille Help

macaroonie
11-09-2007, 05:39 AM
Could some kind soul and lucky owner of 300's possibly post some pics of the guts of a 300 grille. Specifically I would like to pick up the angle that the grille tips in at the side but also am keen to see the frame construction.
This will help me complete the Backyard project.
Thanks in advance:)

57BELAIRE
11-09-2007, 09:41 AM
Any help?

The angle is very subtle...

57BELAIRE
11-09-2007, 09:49 AM
Here's the angle

macaroonie
11-09-2007, 10:30 AM
Thanks a lot Looks about 7-10 deg. Actually the innards are of as much interest. JBL have taken some trouble to not enclose the output from the drivers too much. As you can see from this pic I have two probs, one being space for a frame and second there is not a lot available going horizontally between the drivers ( about 1/2 inch ).
I could build a frame using 1/2 x 3/4 hardwood with fillets I suppose and then build up from there.
Since I do not have a lens I do not need the depth of the original but I still want to retain some of the flavor.
I had had it in mind to use 34mm square stock all round with the angle and the rounding on the outside and use my 25mm rad rounding over cutter to round over on the inner forward edges. I would have to rebate to accommodate the edges of the horn.
I also had the idea of splitting the grille as in the B380 but this is not feasible physically so the idea came to me to put a spar across horizontally to bridge over the bass drive and then to route a channel on the outside face to allow the grille cloth to be fed into and held by some kind of O ring strip or somesuch. There is a name for this stuff but it escapes me.
Thanks again for your help. Mac

57BELAIRE
11-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Nice job!

That looks so good who needs a grille :D