PDA

View Full Version : L112 Refurbishing

AMACNEE
03-01-2004, 07:39 PM
As a newbie to the forum and a neophyte in working with speakers I am seeking advice and counsole in refurbishing my L112's. I purchased these new in the early 80's and they have been treated well but not used for the last few years. In the twenty plus years that I have owned them there has been nothing done to the speakers other than wiping the cabinets down with lemon oil on occasion.

What I noticed the other day when I pulled off the covers was that the foam around one of the woofers was obviously deteriorating and the other appears to be begining to.

My question is where do I start to evaluate what needs to be done to bring the speakers back to peak performance? What steps should I go thru to ascertain what needs to be serviced, repaired and/or replaced?

Advice, help and counsole will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Art

boputnam
03-01-2004, 07:51 PM
:rotfl:
Reminds of a great party I was at a few years ago, and the host was showing-off his Flair 45's. I asked to remove the grill, and well, there on the floor developed a veritable pile of surround. Hilarious for me - humbling for him!

No worries! :no:

There is a Thread on how to do your own resurround: Resurround step-by-step (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=469&highlight=stepbystep) , duly documented thanks to encouragement from Giskard ;), which contains sources for parts, and or getting the work done outsource, too. Don't be timid - the Thread shows redoing the irreplaceable 2122H, and everything turned out dandy...

That 128H is my personal favorite 12-in woofer - so be kind... Here's a Tech Sheet on them bad-boys...

AMACNEE
03-02-2004, 07:31 PM
Bo,

Thanks for the very detailed how-to on resurronding the woofers. You obviously spent a lot of time and effort that should be of benefit to anyone who wants to undertake this project. Before I get started on the woofer part of the job, I would also like to get some idea as to what else I should be evaluating in the midrange, tweeter and any other parts of the speaker system. What should I look for, listen for and test for? Input would be appreciated from anyone who has been down this path before.

Thanks,

Art

boputnam
03-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Hey, Art...

Personally, I've found the MF and HF a bit less "worse-for-the-wear", but if you're inclined to refurbish the lot, it can be done (or can be done for you since pedestrians like us cannot get recone kits). The diaphragms, however, are available to us'ns.

Check eBay for the kits, too...

And, if you're not inclined to got it alone, we can direct you to some of our favored factory authorized service centers...

AMACNEE
03-04-2004, 08:07 AM
Bo,

Thanks for the input. I will start by redoing the surrounds on the woofers and go from there. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Art

AMACNEE
03-04-2004, 04:22 PM
Bo:

I admired your pair of little Altecs but I couldn't find any so I picked up a pair of L 15's to keep me in sound while I undertake this project.

Thanks again,

Art