PDA

View Full Version : Component options .... suggestions?

barkingdog
11-07-2007, 06:17 AM
Hey folks,

I finally have all the components together for my sort of modular 4343 project. They are : 2235H, 2123H, 2344 horns (I was going to use 2312/L91 combination but threads on this site indicate the 2344 is the better option) and 2425H or 2425J for mids, 2405 slots. The plan is to tri-amp the LF, LM and MF drivers using 2 Bryston 4B's mono-blocked, 3B and 2B amps and Ashly 3-way mono active crossovers (2 of them). Between the mids and 2405s a passive 3105 crossover (maybe an attenuator on the 2405s).

My question is "are there any advantages of using 2425H's versus 2425Js?". I also have a pair of 2426J's available if that's any better.

I was also toying with purchasing an Ashly 4-way stereo crossover and using the second 4B for the low mids instead of mono-blocked for the 2235H's. That would take out the requirement for the 3105 but only give me 250W for each LF driver instead of 800W. Opinions on that are sought as well.

Suggestions or opinions?

Robh3606
11-07-2007, 08:26 AM
Hello Barkingdog

I ran a very similar set-up for over a year. The 2425H vs J is really not an issue using as active crossover. However if you are going to run 2344's I would use the H's as the compensation is designed to work with an 8 ohm driver.

The passive compensation is the way to go with that horn and is easy to build. You can charge couple it as well for very little cost. l left the 20uf pole off and it worked out fine crossing with a 2123 active with 24db L/R analog crossover. Look at the 4430 schematic with the biamp switch in the biamp position. The 20uf pole is the first series cap in the network.

You may not feel the need to add the 2405's. Have fun and post some pictures.

Rob:)

Bullet
11-07-2007, 10:36 AM
Theres 1 thing i like to know before i give a reaction,

Why do you all like the crossovers???

The thing is less is more!!!The more coils att resistors caps enz is between the line the more distortin is coming out the units,please try for arguments 1 coil 1 c for the bass and mid/high horn and some resistors to compromise the horn output to the bass unit,also if u use bullets putt some caps parralel and than right on the speakerplugs.
Than tell me what kind of sound ALTEC/JBL gives you you be surpriced!!!!
But bear in mind that the new caps and coils enz need setin time,
its a molecule thing!!

This is not an attack but some things i find out myself and was flabbergasted on what happend in my system.

TU-BE or no TU-BE
Thats no question!

Bullet

Robh3606
11-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Why do you all like the crossovers???

The thing is less is more!!

Hello Bullet

I don't think anyone does really like them but you can't run these multidriver systems without them. Less is more only if you can get the response you want using simple one and 2 pole networks. It doesn't always work that way. I think you see the most gain on the lowend once you get the inductor out of the way which is why many of us run biamp set-ups. But then you have the pitfalls using actives. This will always be a set of compromises.

That said the compensation for the 2344 is a very elegant 3 component circuit in it's most basic form. A resistor, cap and coil.

Rob:)

Bullet
11-08-2007, 05:01 AM
Dear Rob ,

Can you tell me youre buildup of units ??
Perhaps a picture of youre LS.

I dont wanna be stubourn but in my case i use RCF 17 inch woofer
RCF TW100w horn tweeter,and a 075 bullet,is youre setup simmular??

As i said i dont wanna be a drag but like to help where i can.
Also learning al the time

Dutch greetings:bouncy:

Bullet