PDA

View Full Version : JBL 4312 problem with a woofer?

schwanncell
11-06-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi everybody

I'm a new member of Lansing Heritage having recently acquired a nice pair of JBL 4312. I'm already in love with those beauties! However, looking carefully to the speakers, I've noticed that the white color does not cover all the cone of one woofer. Does it mean something special? Thank's for your help.

brutal
11-06-2007, 02:42 PM
Pics will get you a good answer.

Cheers!

edgewound
11-06-2007, 02:55 PM
Hi everybody

, I've noticed that the white color does not cover all the cone of one woofer. Does it mean something special? Thank's for your help.

Sounds like some Aquaplas coating has peeled off the cone.

A pic would help...it's probably not a big deal unless it sounds bad.

schwanncell
11-07-2007, 02:54 AM
Thank's for your help. Here are the pics. As you can see the coating seems to have peeled off the cone for the woofer on the left. However if it is the case the peeling is amazingly regular! By the way, the woofer sounds great.

Sounds like some Aquaplas coating has peeled off the cone.

A pic would help...it's probably not a big deal unless it sounds bad.

ratitifb
11-07-2007, 03:48 AM
je ne pense pas que ce soit l'aquaplas qui se détache du cône mais on rencontre ce genre de chose sur les 2212/123/2213 de JBL même avec des # de série très proches (dispersion de process (collage, goop ?) en production). J'ai chez moi une ou deux paires comme celà ... et ça marche très bien! Seule l'esthétique fait défaut ... quand on écoute aussi avec ses yeux ! :blink:

I don't think it is an aquaplas peeling problem because we can see some differences like that on JBL 2212/123/2213 range even when speakers have very closest SN (scattering from JBL process (glueing, goop ?) in production). I have one or two pairs like that at home ... and they sound great! Only aesthetic is wrong ... when you listen with your eyes too !

pos
11-07-2007, 03:58 AM
Could it be that a resurround was made on the front of the cone and then redone on the back, pilling off the aquaplas when removing the glue on the front?

Robh3606
11-07-2007, 05:59 AM
Looks like a glue line for the surround material. Looks like the aguaplas is under it

Rob:)

schwanncell
11-07-2007, 06:01 AM
Je pense aussi que cela est une différence d'origine au stade de la fabrication. Mais je suis bien de votre avis, c'est l'esthétique qui fait défaut... et c'est important aussi!!! Existe-t-il un moyen de remédier à cela???

I think too that this is coming from the fabrication process. But in the same time I feel sorry for the look... it's important too!!! Any way of fixing it???

je ne pense pas que ce soit l'aquaplas qui se détache du cône mais on rencontre ce genre de chose sur les 2212/123/2213 de JBL même avec des # de série très proches (dispersion de process (collage, goop ?) en production). J'ai chez moi une ou deux paires comme celà ... et ça marche très bien! Seule l'esthétique fait défaut ... quand on écoute aussi avec ses yeux ! :blink:

I don't think it is an aquaplas peeling problem because we can see some differences like that on JBL 2212/123/2213 range even when speakers have very closest SN (scattering from JBL process (glueing, goop ?) in production). I have one or two pairs like that at home ... and they sound great! Only aesthetic is wrong ... when you listen with your eyes too !

schwanncell
11-07-2007, 06:04 AM
Looks like a glue line for the surround material. Looks like the aguaplas is under it

Rob, I'll take closer pics tonight and post it but it seems to me that the aguaplas is above it and not under.
Cheers
Thierry

ratitifb
11-07-2007, 08:39 AM

regarding my own speakers with the same issue, aquaplas is under this "glue" line if i well remember (if not, we could probably see black paper cone).

How fixing this cosmetic issue ?

Close your eyes:cool: and listen :band:with your ears ... or purchase an other 2213H pair on epay like i have done (for cosmetic issue 15 pairs (2212/123-1/123-3/2213/2213H) got my home without thinking about WAF problem ...:o: I'd probably sell some of them ;)

schwanncell
11-07-2007, 12:24 PM
Rob, I'll take closer pics tonight and post it but it seems to me that the aguaplas is above it and not under.
Cheers
Thierry

Here are the closer pics, what do you think?

Zilch
11-07-2007, 12:36 PM
Depending upon vintage, that's what they look like. I see no deterioration of Aquaplas there....

ratitifb
11-07-2007, 01:06 PM
these speakers are right ! No aquaplas peeling ... The problem is with JBL we are waiting for perfection and it seems that perfection is not with JBL process from production lines ... even with cosmetic issue :bouncy:

edgewound
11-07-2007, 01:33 PM
Here are the closer pics, what do you think?

These are fine. Probably from different production runs.

schwanncell
11-08-2007, 01:35 AM
These are fine. Probably from different production runs.

Thank's to everyone, I'm feeling better now!

Cheers

Thierry