PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Canadiana: Large Electrohome SC-501

ARRAY
11-03-2007, 04:47 PM
For your downloading pleasure, introducing the Electrohome SC-501 3-way loudspeaker in poly'd walnut over 1" particle core all-around, circa late 50's / early 1960's. 21"W 15"D 29"T. Never seen them before, and probably won't again. 12" three way with a canned 8" driver doing midrange duty! - can you say "goose honk"? Check out the leaves on those cores, and the whopping 35volt cans. Tweeter controls, labels intact (because we all know a loudspeaker without wax seals / labels / logos only sounds 50% as good - tops!). Switchable satellite pairs integration via the funky push button selection on the front. The cabs are parked upon attached mitred plinths for that extra show. Ohhhhh mercy!

spkrman57
11-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Looks like the mid and woofer are ceramic (ferrite) magnets. They look too new to be from the 60's unless they were just prior to 1970.

Tweets look to be alnico magnets.

Wish I could see the front of the woofer and mid!

Ron

SEAWOLF97
11-03-2007, 06:53 PM
love that 4 tweeter array :D

what is the wood circle sitting on the left deck of rear interior pic ? looks like a port cover for the mid ?

Jan Daugaard
11-05-2007, 02:41 AM
These Electrohome loudspeakers bear a striking resemblance to the Bang & Olufsen Beovox 5000 from 1967:
http://www.beocentral.com/products/bvox5000-1

They, too, could be equipped with satellites:
http://www.beocentral.com/products/bv2500

ARRAY
11-05-2007, 02:52 PM
Looks like the mid and woofer are ceramic (ferrite) magnets. They look too new to be from the 60's unless they were just prior to 1970.

Tweets look to be alnico magnets.

Wish I could see the front of the woofer and mid!

Ron

They probably are from the early 60's rather than the late 50's even though ceramics were developed in the early 40's. The midrange might be useful as a musical instrument speaker in a practice amp. They're nothing fancy in terms of the exotic, a medium-sized whizzer and 10 oz magnet. The woofers aren't bad, I'll give them to a friend of mine to heave on the pile. Accordeon suspension, 2" voicecoil. As for the rest, well, expediency calls.

ARRAY
11-05-2007, 02:55 PM
love that 4 tweeter array :D

what is the wood circle sitting on the left deck of rear interior pic ? looks like a port cover for the mid ?

Hi Wolf, it is indeed the hardboard cover to the back of the can. I took it off for the photo but left it present for show. The driver's pole peice is milled out to receive a fastener to secure it in place. The can was packed with fibreglass. They did get the tweeter orientation correct, but with the lack of magnet present they are lacklustre.

ARRAY
06-23-2008, 05:23 PM
Here's another peice of Vintage Canadian audio - Clairtone style!