PDA

View Full Version : Who can tell me more about the M552/M553?

David Dryden
03-01-2004, 10:38 AM
As some of you may know already, I'm in the market for an electronic crossover. I'm looking at the Crown VFX-2A, a new Behringer, or ??? I can't find any detailed info on the JBL M552/M553. I've looked EVERYWHERE for even a decent pic of the front panel with no luck :banghead: Specifically, do they have individual low pass and high pass frequency adjustments (like the Crown does)? Can anyone enlighten me? :confused: Thanks!

johnaec
03-01-2004, 10:42 AM
This link has some info: http://www.jblpro.com/pages/electronics/mseries.htm - there's also a link for a brochure there.

Do a search at jblpro.com and you'll find more info.

John

Robh3606
03-01-2004, 10:45 AM
"Specifically, do they have individual low pass and high pass frequency adjustments (like the Crown does)? Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!"

No. Adjustable range of say 18HZ to 200 Hz divide by 10 or 180Hz to 2Khz symetrical 24db LR.

Rob:)

David Dryden
03-01-2004, 11:36 AM
I looked on JBL's website and at the brochure. Unfortunately, it's not that specific. :(

Rob, that's what I needed to know. So far, the Crown VFX-2A is the way I'm leaning. Wish I still had my old one, it was cherry! Thanks for the info guys!

boputnam
03-01-2004, 12:13 PM
Originally posted by David Dryden
I've looked EVERYWHERE for even a decent pic of the front panel with no luck :banghead: I can take a couple of pics of the front tonight, if you're still in need. It's in the rack (in the trailer...) but can do. Lemme know.

Specifically, do they have individual low pass and high pass frequency adjustments (like the Crown does)? :yes: They most certainly do. And, it seems either Rob has mis-typed ("No."), or I'm about to. As Rob posted, the crossover frequencies ARE variable:

I have a .pdf on the series - pm me with you email if you want it (too large to post).

David Dryden
03-01-2004, 12:55 PM
Yeah Bo, what I liked about the Crown was the ability to asymetrically set the crossover points for the high and low pass frequencies, i.e., low pass at 70 Hz. and high pass at 80 Hz (not that I would use those settings...).

I looked all over the internet for a copy of the owner's manual to see how it's configured. A pic of the front panel would be great! Since my Sub1500's should be here by this weekend, I'll be anxious to play once I get the boxes built. Thanks!!!:thmbsup:

boputnam
03-01-2004, 01:23 PM
OK. I'll try and get 'em, this evening. First-things-first, though is a stop by the paint store... :banghead:

I only have a copy of the M552 manual, which I could scan to a .pdf, if needed Again, if these .pdf's are of interest, I will need your email address.

boputnam
03-01-2004, 02:33 PM
Just had a thought - and pinched this from the cover of the M-Series brochure...

Shows (L to R) the Input Level / Xover Frequency Low-High / Low Output / High Output

NB: The image is edited (I removed some blank space on the front to keep the image file-size minimal).

boputnam
03-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Ibid...

Shows (L to R) the Input Level / Xover Frequency Low-Mid / Xover Frequency Mid-High / Low Output / Mid Output / High Output

David Dryden
03-01-2004, 05:15 PM
Thanks Bo for all the good info!