PDA

View Full Version : ebay consequences

Guenter
03-01-2004, 09:00 AM
As some of you probably know there is a 4315 near me for sale and I've bid on it. because of that bid I'm now receiving multiple spams from people trying to sell me brand new unopend boxes containing 4315 with different payment options..... these offers are so ludicrous they are laughable. Nevertheless, I assume they are sent out because sometimes they must work. Mind you - natural, Darwinnian, selection comes to mind and possibly I don't feel as sorry for them as I should - Anyway, is this becoming coomon place or am I one of the lucky few :confused:

- regards

johnaec
03-01-2004, 09:11 AM
I've bid on a ton of JBL stuff recently, but only components, not systems, and have never had anyone contact me with offers. I find it unusual very many people would have unopened 4315 systems around...

BTW - 'just curious - what was the list price on the final production run of 4315 systems, and when were the last ones produced?

John

Mr. Widget
03-02-2004, 12:34 AM
I put a low bid on a pair of Altec Model 19s and am getting tons of this crap! It is really annoying. The first message I opened and replied to the sender in Asia asking them to never do it again. I have received several since then ostensibly from other sellers. I've marked them as spam and am deleting them all.

It is really too bad that there are enough stupid people out there that the rest of us are burdened with this virtual refuse.

Widget

BTW John look here:

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=349&highlight=price+list

johnaec
03-02-2004, 06:46 AM
Thanks for the link to that chart, Widget - 'most informative!

John

thevott
03-02-2004, 11:55 AM
I receive very little Ebay related spam. Perhaps the higher priced items like the forementioned studio monitors draw the most attention of the spammers.

Mr. Widget
03-02-2004, 12:09 PM
I had never received any either until last week. I am getting two or three a day from "different" sellers. They are all off shore and want to give me a great deal on a variety of speakers all outside of eBay of course.

I reported it to eBay this morning. I am not sure what if anything they can do.

JuniorJBL
03-02-2004, 12:53 PM
I bid on a crown Reference 1 and all of a sudden I was getting this as well. I emailed them back telling them to list it on ebay at the price they said with buy it now...... No reply Hummmm... I wonder why! I also looked up the ip address where it was comming from and contacted Ebay and the ISP that hosted it. Im sure it will pop up again soon from a different one.
Shane

thevott
03-02-2004, 02:06 PM
There are a lot of really good sellers as well as buyers on Ebay, not to mention access to merchandise unlike ever before. I suppose the spammers and scammers are just a part of the whole picture---I hope this particular wave is only temporary!

Triumph Don
03-02-2004, 10:54 PM
Oh Wow-bid on a high end McIntosh amp, the s**t will come rolling in from all over the world! I curse thy mothers, send eBay a fraud alert...

jarrods
03-03-2004, 03:00 AM
I bid on a pair of 4430's earlier this year and then got 5 'spam' offers for the same.

The funny thing was they ALL offered new unopened with all manuals and accessories. FREE shipping (even when I probed that it had to come to Australia) at that weight.

The best was after exchanging some emails with these guys I did some tracert's on their IP addresess and eventhough they claimed to be from various parts of the world they all were from a .ro domain... Romania.

Good deals really so I have posted of 5 packets of USD $1200 cash and await with baited breath for my 5 huge heavy boxes to arrive. :D :D

Mr. Widget
03-03-2004, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by jarrods

Good deals really so I have posted of 5 packets of USD $1200 cash and await with baited breath for my 5 huge heavy boxes to arrive. :D :D

Those generous Romanians! You got a smokin deal. Do let us know how you like them once they arrive.:D :D :D

JBL Dog
03-03-2004, 12:51 PM
Bid on a pair of 150-4C's and watch the offers come in. My canned response is "I can say F*** You in 93 different languages, what is your native tongue?" That and a few references to how their mother raised them....... :blah:

Most of the spam I get involves some listing I do on a local musicians site where I place classified ads. I have some E140's listed and I got response from a guy from God knows where saying he wanted them. He said he would send me a check for $3800, asked me to deduct my fees and write him a check for the difference.

Of course, I knew it was a scam, but I played along. I told him to send me a check made out to Amanda Hugenkiss (A-Man-To-Hug-And-Kiss) to see if he would send it. Well, he did. It showed up Monday. He sent it FEDEX Priority International from Lagos, Nigeria. I will take everything to my bank and see if their security would like to follow up on it.

People are actually falling for this scam!

:no:

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

JuniorJBL
03-03-2004, 12:57 PM
Let us know how this turns out.......
I am very curious to know.:hmm:
Shane

Mr. Widget
03-03-2004, 01:00 PM
Grow up Bart.:D :D :D

JuniorJBL
03-03-2004, 01:09 PM
This person was dumb enough to write it to that name.
LOL:rotfl:

boputnam
03-03-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by JBL Dog
I told him to send me a check made out to Amanda Hugenkiss (A-Man-To-Hug-And-Kiss) to see if he would send it. Well, he did. This message comes from JBL Dog :band: "Bank of Frankewing" Tennessee checks out - except it looks to me like taht should be check number 166. "20931" is the Routing Number - I can't imagine they do it differ'nt in Tennessee - er, check numbering, I mean. ;)

You might call them and see if the Cashiers Check number can be verified. :confused:

Chas
03-03-2004, 01:28 PM
Guenter, did you get the 4315's?
Charles.

JBL Dog
03-03-2004, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by boputnam
"Bank of Frankewing" Tennessee checks out - except it looks to me like taht should be check number 166. "20931" is the Routing Number - I can't imagine they do it differ'nt in Tennessee - er, check numbering, I mean. ;)

You might call them and see if the Cashiers Check number can be verified. :confused:

Bo:

On the checks I have for my business account, the number order is:

1) Check number

2) Routing number

3) Account number

which is the same order as the "hugenkiss" check. I don't know what the 166 means. The check does look authentic. It is possible it is stolen or someone ordered checks with that information.

I am getting some satisfaction that it cost someone a few dollars to send this to me from Nigeria. But, for every nine people that toss these in the trash, one person is following through. Just like anything else, it's a numbers game.

This message comes from JBL Dog :band:

boputnam
03-03-2004, 02:06 PM
OK, cool. Then, the check number jives with the numbers-order at the foot of the check. I think a call to Jack Daniel's state, is in order!

Guenter
03-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Chas, well, I certainly didn't get the 4315's when I saw the price move well above 1.500 US. They just didn't seem worth that much.

However, interesting is that I then did a followup on the buyer and all I can say is 'very strange'! He also bought diffraction horns for over $500US which surely is extravagent at best BUT, get this, he paid $450 or close to that for some throat adaptors (ie going from 2" round to rectangular in the diffraction horns) now that has to be a scam OR ebay has now completely worthless/unreliable as a pricing reference.

Mr. Widget
03-03-2004, 08:05 PM
Guenter,

I agree that over $1500 for the 4315s is way too much for those 43XXs, and I was shocked at the $400+ Price paid for the 2328 throat adapters, but $550 for the 2397 diffraction horns is only slightly high. Clean 2397s go for $300 on the low end to over $700 per pair. I have seen several sets go for $1200 a pair.

And then there are these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3074237568

:D :D :D :D

Mr. Widget

boputnam
03-03-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by Mr. Widget
And then there are these:... Man-oh-man, you do phenomenal work. But, truly, looking at the gorgeous photography of your pro. wifey, and your pro. handiwork, all I can say is "let's do dinner!!" :yes: I've got a few weeks between gigs...

Mr. Widget
03-03-2004, 10:20 PM
Hey, I took those pics!

So this guy in Canada kept asking questions about how I made them. Then he asked for the dimensions etc. Look what he made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3082490569&category=50597&sspagename=STRK%3AMEBWA%3AIT&rd=1

Not quite as precise. Not hand rubbed oil, but not too bad either.:)

Widget

Dinner? Good idea, I'll give you a call.

JuniorJBL
03-03-2004, 10:47 PM
Hey, I took those pics!

Very Very Nice:yes:
That is GREAT work.
Shane

jcdahl
03-03-2004, 11:24 PM
I have received several offers for Paragons that are brand new selling for $5,000 and will be shipped prepaid via UPS. All I have to do is transfer the money to the seller via Western Union.

WOW! What a deal...
I sent them to Ebay and Western Union... They both claimed that the seller had Pirated someones Ebay account. Ebay is pursuing the guy with their Fraud unit.
JCD

boputnam
03-04-2004, 07:46 AM
So this guy in Canada kept asking questions about how I made them. Then he asked for the dimensions etc. Look what he made. Yea, well I hope that your typical generousity was not enough to have impacted your market! :banghead: Looks like he didn't ask about those seemingly important steel rods to thread the throat mounts to. I favour the thin-lips Widget design. :yes:

John
03-06-2004, 12:53 PM
Well for the last month or so i have got tons of offers to purchase almost every 43xx series moniter brand new in boxes,free shipping and insurence in as many units as i want at fire sale prices. I replied to one and asked him if i could get a better price on the 4350,s if i purchased 200 pairs!!! Well he has not got back to me yet.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: