PDA

View Full Version : JBL Horns and Lenses

dancing-dave
02-29-2004, 07:24 PM
Dumb questions(?):

- Why do people sell the JBL difraction lens assemblies by themselves and NOT with the accompanying horns?

- Which lens assemblies are compatible with which JBL horns?

I want to build a system like my avatar eventually, so the 2395 lens/horn assemply will be an issue at some point. (I've also got some UREI 809s I'm fixing up that I will post photos of later this week).

Thank you all for looking/posting!!!

Hofmannhp
03-01-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by dancing-dave
Dumb questions(?):

- Why do people sell the JBL difraction lens assemblies by themselves and NOT with the accompanying horns?

I want to build a system like my avatar eventually, so the 2395 lens/horn assemply will be an issue at some point. (I've also got some UREI 809s I'm fixing up that I will post photos of later this week).

Thank you all for looking/posting!!!

Hi Dave,

thats a interesting theme.......with historical background.
- the lens and some horns from JBL based on developments from Bell Laboratorie (Wente/Thuras) and also from Western Electric in the early 20ths of the last century. They were on their highest time in the 50s to 70s through the work of Bart Locanthi from JBL who developed the Slant Plates and others.
There were different horns with different lens to form a system with different applications.
- Today the lens were not in use anymore, cause with special horndesigns, like CD or Mantaray or.....you can get the same or better results. BUT THE BIG LENS LOOK SO COOL :D

- There are different types of vintage horns and lens.
1" like the 2312 with 2308 lens (small slant plate)
2" like the 2311 with 2308 lens
2" like the 2309 with 2310 folded lens
2" like the 2343 horn with the 2395 lens

in this time they where also sold as a system like
HL xx (HL = horn/lens)
HL 90
HL 91
HL 93
HL 89
etc. all from the consumer series

- For your system with the 4530 and 2395 I can tell you, that you exactly have to know what you want to do with. This systems only have a vintage cause. The 4530 bass horn is very unsteady with its frequency response and ends with 40 Hz low. You can more easy get a good power sounding system with reflex enclosures with only less 4 dB efficiency but smooth frequency response. Thats not only the reason for JBL to close the sale of this systems.

HP

EdSawyer
03-01-2004, 08:03 AM
I have a set of 2395's with horns and brackets that I was thinking about parting with soon. In good shape, a little paint flaking but not bad. Feel free to email if you are interested. The Asian market has a big appetite for these but it would be nice to keep them in the USA if possible. They are great sounding, I liked them a lot but just a little too big for my space.

thanks,

-Ed

boputnam
03-01-2004, 08:19 AM
Originally posted by dancing-dave
Here's a JBL Pro Obsolete (Vintage) Acoustic Lens Family - Link (http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/Acoustic_Lens_Family1.pdf) to the vintage horns and lenses.

A wider listing is available on: http://www.jblpro.com/pages/obsolete.htm

dancing-dave
03-01-2004, 08:32 AM
HP - My intention on having the 2395/4520 set up is to have that hard chest-pounding club style bass kick at home with the extra crispy high-mids. Almost everything I listen to is on vinyl which rarely goes less than 50Hz, so 40Hz response is fine. I've experienced JBL 4520/4530 "scoops" in clubs as well as the 2395 slants and I can honestly say that I would be very satisfied to have such a set up in home.

Ed - I'll contact you today, thank you for presenting them to me.

bo - Thanks for the lnks

Lion - You always had courage inside of you....

paragon
09-18-2004, 10:00 AM
Seen this thread while searching.
I`ve heared both 4530 and 4520 in a Rock-Disco
in the mid 70`s.
First they had 4530 with 2205, 375 with HL 89 and
a little box hanging down the ceiling(?) with 075 and 077.
To me it sounds great, never heared such good sound before.
One year later they changed the 4530 into 4520 but with the same MID-HIGH components.
Bass Drivers are also changed into EV EVM 15 B.
The 4530 in my little (3x3 meter) "Listening-Room" goes down
to 50 Hz. The 4520 will go to 40 Hz (to big for this room).
Both you can use for HiFi. Where is the difference to paragon
or hartsfield, all are hornloaded speakers.

Best Regards
Eckhard

dancing-dave
09-18-2004, 10:24 AM
I've got a 3 meter by 3 meter listening area too; so I'm curious why you would opt for the 4520 instead of the 4530 for bass. Would you consider a subwoofer to handle the lowest octaves?

Since I put that last post on I have had the chance to hear a few club systems where they use modified 4520 cabinets with larger chambers for bigger magnets and with larger cabinets (called the Waldorf). The JBL 2395 (HL90) is also very common in these set ups along with the 075 and 077 in clusters of 4 hanging from the ceiling.

The overall quality varies on these systems depending on the drivers that are used and the positioning of the speakers. Of the ones I've heard I prefer the 2441 (375) and the BMS 4590 2" coaxial driver. The TAD 4002 drivers become fatiguing after several hours of music when used in the upper-mid region.

The HL90 lens is appealing since I have a small space and don't require the same SPL as a larger system.

paragon
09-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Yes, a 4520 wouldn`t be bad:D , but the 4530 is good enough.
Yes, i have a reflex subwoofer with an eighteen inch Craaft
driver. This goes down to ~35 Hz, but i doen`t use him often.
A guy here in germany uses 10 ! 4520 for his oldie partys.

Best Regards
Eckhard