PDA

View Full Version : Interesting "White Van" article

SEAWOLF97
10-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Here is a list of name of white van and what they go by.... Dont get ripped off...
Do not buy it's a SCAM !
Theater Logic L8ti Kirsch K3 Divinci DV-606 DiVinci D-6 Genesis G-6030 Millenium MTS-3200
Theater Research TR-6100 Matrix Audio Concepts MX-1300 DanWave DW-6 Epic Sound 7.1
Please Copy now, repost somewhere and share this info with others.
The scammers don't want anyone to know about their scam
so they will flag and remove this ad !
Do a good deed and save someone from getting scammed !
The speakers sold by the speakermen are of exceptionally poor quality,
typically obtained for less than $50 from a local distributor.
The speakers themselves have been reported as potentially damaging to any amplifier they are connected to.
The risk of damage stems from an impedence curve that in some cases may drop
below 2 ohms, which may overheat, short out, or permanently damage an
amplifier not designed to handle such loads.
Do a search for " white van speakers " you'll see how this scam goes
Guy in suv or van drives up to you has these $3000 speakers , extras ??
You can have em for a deal you can't pass up .
He will try to get you to give him $50 or more up to $1500.00 for these $40 china speakers.

He will tell you it's worth something crazy like 2000 or 3000 dollars
show all kinds of crap like receipts , invoices , magazines , ads sheets, etc.
He'll even point you to the company website to prove they are worth the 3 grand. Don't be fooled !
So when he lowers his price to $100.00 you'll think you got the deal of a lifetime. $3000 speakers for $ 100 bucks ,
no you got a crap set of $40 speakers and paid $100 or more for them.
Just do a search for "white van speakers" and you'll see that not only are
they worth only 40 bucks shipped from china , they may also be UNSAFE and damage your system.
Watch out for the speaker guys in suv's or pickup trucks and vans
selling home theater equipment.
Many of the sales take place in the parking lots of Best Buy, Home Depot, Circuit City , Banks ,
Carwashes , Gas Stations , Construction sites , etc
heck they will even flag you down while you are driving down the road.
Do not fall for the white van speaker scam , they are looking to rip you off !

White Van Speaker List
Acoustic Response Series 707
Acoustic Image 3311 / 3312
Acoustic Lab Technology
Acoustic Monitor
Acoustic 3312 Studio Monitor
Acoustic Response

Advanced Sound Technologies AST X2 1055
Audiofile 583LR
Audiofile 835LR
Audiofile THX 6.1
Audio Tech
Dahlton KV 1500
Dahlton KV 2500 TI Speakers
Dahlton AV 5.1 THX
DanWave DW-6
DanWave DW-606
DanWave DW-607
DanWave DW-608
Dan Wave DW-1000
http://www.divincisound.com
Divinci Sound
DiVinci Innovative Sound & Bass
Divinci Sound D6 D-6
Divinci Sound DV7010 DV-7010
Divinci Sound DV6030 Dv-6030
Divinci Sound DV505 DV-505
Divinci Sound DA6.1 DA-6.1
Divinci D-52
Divinci DV-606
Divinci DV-607
Divinci DV-608
Divinci DV-1420
Divinci DV-1450
Divinci DV-1412
Divinci DV-1450
Divinci DV- 607
Divinci DV-2150
Divinci DV-2100
Denmark
Denmark Loud Speaker E830LR
Digital Audio DHT 5.1
Digital Audio SL-3810
Digital Audio DA 2000SL / 2000CS
Digital Audio 2000
Digital Audio 2002
Digital Audio 2012 7.1
Digital Audio Professional Speaker Systems SL-3810
Digital Audio Skyline 900-SL
Digital Audio SL-3910 Speakers
Digital Audio 2003 DA 5.1 Pro-Series III
Digital Dogg Audio
Digital Pro Audio
Digital Pro Audio SL-T 2.8
Digital Research 5.1 Pro Series
Digital Research DA 5.1 Pro Series III
Digital Research DR-1000
Digital Research DR-2810
Digital Research DR-1610
Digital Research DR-1611
Dogg Digital
Dynalab
Epiphany Audio speakers
Elite Audio
Elite Audio EA-505
Elite Audio EA-608
Elite Audio EA-1620
Elite Audio EA-7012
Epic Sound 7.1
Fleetwood Audio
Genesis
Genesis Media Labs
Genesis G-6.1 Digital Series
Genesis G-505
Genesis G-506
Genesis G-507
Genesis G-608
Genesis G-609
Genesis G-610
Genesis G-1420
Genesis G-1620
Genesis G-1630
Genesis G-2810
Genesis G-2815
Genesis R-2810
Genesis G-2840
Genesis G-2850
Genesis G-2870
Genesis G-2875
Genesis G-2880
Genesis G-2885
Genesis G-2950
Genesis G-2960
Genesis G-6030
Genesis G-6035
Genesis G-6040
Genesis G-7012
http://www.genesismedialabs.com

Grafdale
Hauffman
Innovative Sound Digital Pro Audio
Kirsch K3
Kirsch K10
Kirsch Prodigy K803
http://www.kirschloudspeakers.com
Linear Phase studio monitors
http://matrixaudioconcepts.com
Matrix Audio Concepts
Matrix MX-1300 MX1300 MX1300S
MX-404
MX-550
MX-6160
MX-2060
MX-605S
Millenium
Millenium MTS-2006p
Millenium MTS-2208
Millenium MTS-2328
Millenium MTS-2300
Millenium MTS-2605
Millenium MTS-3100
Millenium MTS-3200
Millenium MTS-4200
Millenium MTS-5200
http://www.mtsspeakers.com
Omni Audio
PSD (2.8)
PTS PT-5500S
PTS (Precision Transducer Systems)
http://www.ptswoofers.com
Palermo VA6.1
Palermo VA 6.1
Paradyme
Pro Audio
Pro Dynamics Pro Platinium Series
Pro Dynamics PD-9600
Proline Acoustic
Protecsound PT-5000 digital surround sound system speakers
Samurai 518
Skyline AD-900SL
Skyline Digital Denmark 800 or 900 "series"
Studio Tech (Pro Poly Series)
Theater Innovations (Ti 5100)
TI-440MR TI~440MR
TI-440R TI~440R
TI-440M TI~440M
TI-5100 TI~5100
TI-5150T TI~5150T
TI~1250 TI-1250
TI~1255 TI-1255
TI~1300 TI-1300
TI~1650 TI-1650
TI~1655 TI-1655
TI~6000SD TI-6000SD
TI~6100 TI-6100
TI~1750 TI-6200
http://www.theater-innovations.com
Theater Logic
http://theaterlogichomecinema.com/
Theater Logic L5ti
Theater Logic L6
Theater Logic L8TI 5.1
Theater Logic T 2400
Theater Logic T 2450
http://www.trtheaterresearch.com
Theater Research DS-6.1
Theater Research TR-12
Theater Research TR-501
Theater Research TR-502
Theater Research TR-504
Theater Research TR-505
Theater Research TR-602
Theater Research TR-603
Theater Research TR-604
Theater Research TR-605
Theater Research TR-606
Theater Research TR-607
Theater Research TR-900
Theater Research TR-1100
Theater Research TR-1101
Theater Research TR-1120
Theater Research TR-1400
Theater Research TR-1410 Digital Sound Speakers
Theater Research TR-1610
Theater Research TR-1611
Theater Research TR-1620
Theater Research TR-1621
Theater Research TR-2380
Theater Research TR-2810
Theater Research TR-5210 Professional Home Theater
Theater Research TR-5160
Theater Research TR-6000
Theater Research TR-6020
Theater Research TR-6030
Theater Research TR-6100 Digital Sound/5.1 Home Cinema
Theater Research TR-6120
Theater Research TR-7010
Theater Research TR-8010
Theater Research TR-8810
Theater Research Pro Series III Professional Home
Ultra Digital Labs

I've been involved in the audio industry for over 25 years, and have to say that these speakers have the worst components I've ever seen. As someone who has built and repaired speakers, and written published audio reviews well before the Internet came around, I am appalled at the chutzpah shown by manufacturers and sellers of this junk. The 'reviews' and 'guides' that speak positively of these things have undoubtedly been posted by those who stand to profit from the sale of these inferior items. Take the Kirsch, Theatre Research, Genesis Media Labs (Genesis PHYSICS was a good brand in the 1980's) and DiVinci speakers, with their glossy ads and websites full of meaningless techno-babble and claims of outrageous 'retail' prices - not that any reputable retailer would carry these dogs. There are good reasons why they are mostly sold out of the back of white vans, and here, where comparison to good equipment is impossible. Most recently peddlers of the Genesis Media Lab and DiVinci's have trumpeted an ad taken out by the company, and purchase of a booth at an electronics show as evidence that this is an established brand-when you have the kind of profit margins based upon $ 50 worth of components in a "$ 3600" package, I suppose you can afford a booth or an ad.

Imagine if a peddler of fake Rolexes', or 'Rolex quality' watches posted a website claiming that their junk that cost maybe $ 50 to manufacture is worth thousands - that is basically the case we have here.

For example, as I write this, there are at least 3 pairs of the "K803 Prodigy" speakers being posted on E Bay for $ 1500 or more, yet superior drivers (the speaker drivers -woofers, tweeters, midranges and the like) can be had for $ 15 or less per driver. The internal electronics such as the crossovers, are by far, the absolute worst I've ever seen in nearly 3 decades as a hobbyist. The DiVinci hucksters have the nerve to advertise their 'high energy crossover', which is a $2 piece of junk - a good crossover is complex, not inexpensive, and is critical to sound quality. Even the glossy cabinets are made of cheap, lightweight wood, whose resonances distort the already awful sound, and lack the internal bracing you will find on quality speakers.

The drivers on the Kirsch and DiVinci "$ 3000 pair" (K803- DiVinci 1740-Dahlton- same speaker) are pretty much the same as on another set of these towers sold under an earlier "White Van Scam" name that a friend bought for $ 59 in a local pawn shop- one set of DiVinci's' is listed for $ 2500 buy it now - that is on line piracy.

Just for fun, we compared these Kirsch 803 beasts' to a pair of Infinty SM-255's bought off of E Bay for $ 300, using both analogue and digital sources, receivers and high end separate electronics. A sound level meter was used to ensure that the listening occured at the same volume level.

One of the girlfriends said it best : the Kirsch sounded like a clock radio compared to the Infinity's and one thought that a clock radio might sound better. Technical measurements confirmed what our ears told us - a ragged response curve that is the worst I've ever seen, bar none.

Maybe it was unfair - the Infinity's weigh 77 pounds versus 28 for the Klipsch... er Kirsch - but then the Kirsch is a $ 3000 speaker, the Infinities were $ 1000 new ... the weight alone should tell you just what junk the White Van Speakers are. We also compared the Kirsch with a vintage set of Klipsch KG-3.5's which you can get for around $ 200-250 - needless to say they blew the K-803 Prodigy away.

We've also performed listening tests comparing the "$ 2495"- oh please - Kirsch K3 home theatre system to a vintage set of Infinity Qb speakers dating back to the 1980's, which you can buy for $ 150 or so; a Samsung Home Theatre in a box and to Logitech Z-5300 and Klipsch Pro Media 5.1 computer speakers, hooked to a 5.1 receiver via the headphone jack ( a decent option for a small room). Experienced listeners suggested the best use of the Kirsch's was as a boat anchor or firewood, kids unanimously preferred the other sets and as one eloquently put it - ' the fancy ones stink like poo.' You would be much better off with a used set from Energy, Polk, or another quality speaker company.

I also had the (dis) pleasure of listening to a set of the "$ 3600" DiVinci's often posted here - even the best electronics cannot make a silk purse out of these sow's ears. We compared the DiVinci 607 model to a Polk RM-6800 5.1 home theater set up that can be had for $ 400 or less- $3200 less than theDiVinci's so called retail value.

It was no contest-- as my 12 year old put it 'where did all the instruments go' - there was no category- NONE- imaging, detail, tightness of bass- you name it- where the DiVinci's were remotely competitive.

Not only are the speakers unspeakably bad, the 'receivers' included with the DiVinci, Theatre Research, Digital Research and other "White Van Brands' lack even basic AV functions such as Dolby and DTS processing, and HDMI and component video outputs -as well as measuring and sounding horribly - try watching "Master and Commander" with one of these pieces of 'bleep'- a used Denon, Yamaha or Onkyo at any price is light years superior.

With profit margins that would make oil companies jealous, I can see where they could now buy ads in magazines - one E Bay posting claims they are an 'established high end speaker' - you would have to be high to consider these anything but the low level junk they are. Scam is not a strong enough term, and these have earned their place on rip-off report.com.

The brand name of the speakers is often intentionally confusingly similar to a well regarded speaker manufacturer. For example, the excellent reputations of manufacturers such as Klipsch, Paradigm, Dahlquist, and Wharfedale are used to sell speakers with the respective brand names of Kirsch, Paradyme, Dahlton, and Grafdale.

The speakers sold by the speakermen are of exceptionally poor quality, typically obtained for less than $50 from a local distributor. The speakers themselves have been reported as potentially damaging to any amplifier they are connected to. The risk of damage stems from an impedence curve that in some cases may drop below 2 ohms, which may overheat, short out, or permanently damage an amplifier not designed to handle such loads.

FOOTNOTE: The latest White Van Scam brand is Genesis Media Labs- just took a look at 2 sets bought from a E Bay power seller who should be ashamed of themselves. The buyers thought they got a good deal and even left positive feedback for the seller. We had them listen to a Yamaha home theatre in the box bought at ... Marshalls !!! ....for less than for 1/2 ($ 250) of the price the victims paid on EBay ($ 539) for the Genesis - once again, no contest, and some very unhappy Genesis owners- too bad feedback cannot be modified. I took a couple of measurements which confirmed that regardless of the name- Genesis, DiVinci, Kirsch, Dahlton, Theatre Logic, Theatre Research, Ashton, Digital Logic, Digital Audio, Digital Dogg, Digital Research et. al - this stuff is not worthy of the term hi fidelity. The problem with the Genesis name is that there was a very good American made speaker brand of that name in the mid 80's, that went of business- the White Van scammers change brands often. New report:

FOOTNOTE 2:

I visted recently with an old friend, a leading British audio writer, who upon seeing the E Bay ads and the Divinci website first thought it was someones' idea of a joke -- his take in typical British understated fashion - " The claim that this logo was on half the speakers in Britian is rubbish, the products are so poor that they do not even rise to that level (rubbish), and the purveyors are simply scoundrels."

louped garouv
10-29-2007, 03:35 PM
i took a hit on a set of the acoustic response speakers about 8-10 years ago...

typical scenario,

got flagged down while driving down the street....

:blah::blah::blah:

guy was showing me all the fake lit, etc...

talked him down to $50/pr
(from him wanting something like $300 for what he claimed were several thousand dollar speakers)

i still got ripped off....

but at least it was only $50....

i think i would have hunted him down at the time, had it been any more....
(i was 20)

Steve Schell
10-29-2007, 03:53 PM
My white van experience did involve a sure 'nuff white van, with two guys peddling some "AR" speakers supposedly left over from a commercial installation. They were Albatross Refuse or some such brand. I was tempted to say "you guys gotta be kidding with this white van routine" but I had just walked out to my car to retrieve a tool and thought I'd better hold my tongue lest they flatten my tires or something.

I think their game is to take advantage of a person's greed as well as his ignorance. They actually set the stage to make the mark think he's getting a deal on stolen merchandise despite the flimsy story. So, in some cases maybe the white van customers deserve what they get.

P.S. I don't mean you, LG.

louped garouv
10-29-2007, 03:59 PM
I think their game is to take advantage of a person's greed as well as his ignorance. They actually set the stage to make the mark think he's getting a deal on stolen merchandise despite the flimsy story. So, in some cases maybe the white van customers deserve what they get.

P.S. I don't mean you, LG.

but it applied....

:o:

they gave the story of some extras loaded into the white van, and i was like...

"well if they are hot, i'll only pay $50"

so i guess i got what i deserved, so to speak....
i was 20....

:)

I still remember the parking lot i pulled into to get them....

thought i had done so well.....

:rotfl:

SEAWOLF97
10-30-2007, 11:39 AM
they even have the list price printed on the "white van's white box" - must be a deal

DOGG DIGITAL AUDIO 2000 SPEAKERS - $500

Reply to: see below
Date: 2007-10-30, 10:52AM PDT

DOGG DIGITAL AUDIO SPEAKERS FOR SALE

THREE-WAY LOUD SPEAKERS
CLUB SERIES II PROFESSIONAL

* Optimal Horns
* Large magnet structure
* 1/4 phone input jacks
* 10-500 watts
* 8 ohms
* 99 DB

These speakers retail for 1449.00. I am letting them go for 500.00

They are brand new and in the box.

brutal
10-30-2007, 05:23 PM
There's usually a local CL user in every major metro that will post the scam info repeatedly. When you see these scam ads on CL, whether intentional or some poor schmuck trying to unload his garbage on the unsuspecting, flag them. Enough flags and they're gone.

It's a constant battle. The scammers will, en mass, flag the whistle blower's posts, all of us that know better flag the scammers...

timc
10-31-2007, 12:37 AM
Genesis name is that there was a very good American made speaker brand of that name in the mid 80's, that went of business-

There is still a manufacturer called Genesis with a very good reputation. Design by the old "Mr Infinity"
http://www.genesisloudspeakers.com/index.html

I'm glad we dont have similar situations in Norway. There are a couple of brands that is completely rubish here to, but the retail for very small amounts. Still not worth it IMO.

-Tim

Edit: Is it the actual speakers on the websites you link that they sell, or are they cheap copies?

John
10-31-2007, 11:01 AM
I don't know if the scammers that hit me up had a white van, but they tried to say they had Nikon cameras. I was fueling up around Carlisle PA.
They were going from rig to rig right in the fuel lanes. Tried to tell me they were new in the box and were worth $1200 but I can have them for $200 each. I was not intrested but thought I would like to see the item out of curiosity:hmm:

What they showed me was a total peice of plastic crap with the nikon name that was a sticker applied crooked above the lens. I have to admit I got a good laugh out of the encounter.:applaud:

SEAWOLF97
12-14-2007, 12:49 PM
Kirsch Speakers-

Reply to: [email protected] ([email protected]?subject=Kirsch%20Speakers-)
Date: 2007-12-14, 10:47AM PST

Yes, my husband was scamed in the parking lot over at 24 hours fitness in Orchards. He was told that they are worth $3000 and the man said that he needed the money for his family. My husband has a very giving heart, he purshased them for $300.00 for 2. He thought he was helping someone out that was in need. Now we need the money for Christmas and am willing to take anything for these speakers to get them off our hands. They are still in the box. I'm not trying to scam anyone just trying to get a few dollars back. They do work just not $3000 sound, maybe a $200 sound.

Tom Brennan
12-20-2007, 09:15 AM
I don't think these white van guys are any worse than so called "high end" guys who put a couple of Madisound catalog drivers in a monkey coffin and charge several thousand dollars for the result.

Tim Rinkerman
12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
MONKEY COFFIN!!!:applaud:...sorry, PETA, that's funny right there.......

jblnut
12-20-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think these white van guys are any worse than so called "high end" guys who put a couple of Madisound catalog drivers in a monkey coffin and charge several thousand dollars for the result.

Or the cable and wire guys either. Tell me again why I need a $200 (or $2000) power cable for my amp ? Does that make the $.50/ft power wiring in my house somehow work better ? Will $1000 silver interconnects make my components sound better when I can open them up and clearly see inexpensive copper wiring going to the jacks ?

Unfortunately there's a lot of people overcharging (and overpaying) at both ends of the spectrum...

jblnut

Tom Brennan
12-20-2007, 11:18 AM
Or the cable and wire guys either. Tell me again why I need a $200 (or $2000) power cable for my amp ? Does that make the $.50/ft power wiring in my house somehow work better ? Will $1000 silver interconnects make my components sound better when I can open them up and clearly see inexpensive copper wiring going to the jacks ?

jblnut

"interconnects".

Part of the scam was getting people to call something simple and workwise (patch cords) by a new and more grand sounding (pretentious) term, then they're halfway there; by redefining what something is it's easier to charge more money for it.

If patch cords, speaker wires and power cords were that big a deal one must wonder how such simple things got by Olson and the other old-timers.

speakerdave
12-26-2007, 02:02 PM
I've been accosted by those guys a couple of times in a small shopping center parking lot on the other side of town. I believe that when they let on they are doing something behind their boss's back--implying they are selling stolen merchandise even though it is not--they move from misrepresentation to actually breaking the law in California. So, if you feel like going through the hassel . . . .

David

alotawatts
01-04-2008, 03:39 AM
I've been accosted by those guys a couple of times in a small shopping center parking lot on the other side of town. I believe that when they let on they are doing something behind their boss's back--implying they are selling stolen merchandise even though it is not--they move from misrepresentation to actually breaking the law in California. So, if you feel like going through the hassel . . . .

David

Exact scenario my son 'Bit' on a few years ago. He bought two sets of Theater Research Surround O'Majic crap systems for $300. I never gave him a bad time about it because it was about a month of wages for him at the time.

JBL 4645
01-04-2008, 08:41 PM
I see any white vans driving around my home town a bloody baseball bat is what they’ll get. :biting: I was going to mention a DVD site, I received an email yesterday afternoon that was bad ass I mean it was (Trojan hoarse) it took me 15 minutes to clean the mess up with spyware!

The site was something like DVDVDD or DDVDD something like that, I can’t remember, expect don’t click on for god sakes! :(:banghead:

duaneage
01-29-2008, 03:23 PM
Knew two victims in Florida that thought they were buying Studio Monitors, since Studio Monitor was on the cabinet. I never saw magnets so small on a 12 inch driver. The level controls were not even connected.

I found a single Theater Research tower in Goodwill for 9 bucks. I got it for the input cup and the 10 inch driver on the side, it'll make a great beater sub for my car. I feel for the people that paid 500 dollars or more. The website listed these speakers at 2000 dollars a pair. Toss this thing into 1 cu ft sealed and it's cheap boom for the road.

I also got some jiffy looking midbasses and a tweeter I can play around with. I'm always looking for drivers to screw with.

SEAWOLF97
04-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I've got a friend who is a pilot and spends a lot of time out at his remote hanger in Sandy ,OR. The next hanger over is leased out to a couple of hicks who spend their time feverously putting together speakers. He says power screwdrivers are going all night. :blink:

So that where the "audiopile" stuff is made ?

mindset
09-27-2008, 11:51 PM
THe guys got me as I was going to my car:banghead: and I gave them 100 bucks and one of them accompanied me to an atm machine to get a couple of 100 more.

the interesting thing is he gave me his real cell phone number and said that he can help me set it up. I called him later and said i want refund and of course he said no. but he did mail me a copy of the magazine for me to sell, but i have no heart to sell it to others.

is there anything i can avail myself to? i do have his real cell phone number. Can i take it to the police station and have the reverse look it up? can i file a small claims court?

i know this is not a legal forum, but i wanted to see if can give me some informal advise.

thanks
raju

Mr. Widget
09-28-2008, 01:52 PM
i know this is not a legal forum, but i wanted to see if can give me some informal advise.
What law(s) do you think they broke? They sold you a product that you agreed to buy. If you did not audition the product or inspect it before purchase, whose fault is that?

BTW: I am sorry you wasted your money and I certainly don't condone this type of business practice, but it does happen and people do send money to Nigeria... I guess you learned a lesson.

Widget

brutal
09-28-2008, 06:45 PM
THe guys got me as I was going to my car:banghead: and I gave them 100 bucks and one of them accompanied me to an atm machine to get a couple of 100 more.

the interesting thing is he gave me his real cell phone number and said that he can help me set it up. I called him later and said i want refund and of course he said no. but he did mail me a copy of the magazine for me to sell, but i have no heart to sell it to others.

is there anything i can avail myself to? i do have his real cell phone number. Can i take it to the police station and have the reverse look it up? can i file a small claims court?

thanks
raju

And you let a complete stranger accompany you to an ATM machine?

And once you realized you had been had, you called him that he now likely has your number? Why don't you just give him your address too so the scumbag or his buddies can come to your house and rip you off some more?

Honestly, you deserver what you got for being so stupid. You thought you were getting something for next to nothing and consciously took part in what you likely believed to be an illegal activity. Shame on you. Go cry somewhere else.

Doc Mark
09-28-2008, 09:53 PM
Hello, Friends,

Back "in the day", our bass player, who was one of those "something for nothing" sort of guys, got burned by a "White Van" deal. Now, here was a guy that lived around quality audio equipment 24/7, and STILL his greed got the best of him, and he was sold a pair of POS speakers, for $500, if I recall correctly!! Sure, we were all young and stupid back then. But, I, for one, would NEVER have fallen for such an outrageous situation!! I learned the words "caveat emptor" (buyer beware) very early in life, and I still live by them!! My friend pretty much got what he deserved. I was ashamed of him when he turned those crappy speakers to another friend...... no scruples, I guess. Take care, beware, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc (who understands that "something for nothing" is usually neither....!);)

Titanium Dome
09-28-2008, 09:56 PM
but he did mail me a copy of the magazine

thanks
raju

So you did give him your address, too. Raju, you need to tighten this up right now. Check your bank account and change your password. Now. Call your local police or visit them and explain what you did and what information you gave these guys. Ask them to keep an extra eye on your place. If you trust your neighbors, let them know you do not have any "movers" or "delivery men" scheduled to come to your place, and if they see anybody to call the police.

Finally, call your local BBB and also your state's consumer protection department. (I hope you're in a state that has one.) Report everything you know, including the guy's phone number.

You weren't smart about this, but you need to be smart going forward. Do it now.

Titanium Dome
09-28-2008, 09:59 PM
BTW, was this ATM one that you were familiar with or was it one they directed you to?

louped garouv
09-29-2008, 09:34 AM
good luck to you, and be vigelent

SEAWOLF97
09-30-2008, 09:54 AM
What law(s) do you think they broke? They sold you a product that you agreed to buy. If you did not audition the product or inspect it before purchase, whose fault is that?
Widget

I'm with Widget on this one.....Absolutely detesting their scummy scam , you do have to realize that they know what they are doing (other than leaving a cell number) and they really dont leave any room to file a complaint... they also discourage filing by using the story that you are somehow getting a "hot item" at a good price..you really dont want to report that part to the police.

Far as I can see, you just purchased a lesson in life. But at least you have company, seems like many have fallen for this scam.

57BELAIRE
10-02-2008, 12:23 PM
I was filling up at the local station when I was approached by two guys in a "white van" who had some large screen plasma or some such high-end televisions left over from an installation.

They claimed "they've already been paid for" and couldn't bring them back for credit so I could have one or all for $300 apiece. :bs:

I said, "No thanks, I've still got a pair of "Crapola" speakers that I bought 10 years ago out of the back of a white van that I can't unload."

Man, the look on their faces was priceless....and no, I didn't buy the "Crapolas"...the deal seemed too good to be true...$1000 "studio monitors" for $100. :applaud:

Mr. Widget
10-02-2008, 10:21 PM
I said, "No thanks, I've still got a pair of "Crapola" speakers that I bought 10 years ago out of the back of a white van that I can't unload."

Man, the look on their faces was priceless....Yeah, they were thinking, "Damn, this guy ran into our dads ten years ago." :D

Widget

hjames
10-03-2008, 02:50 AM
Yep, string em up, pilgrim!
Hang 'em HIGH! scumdogs!

I'm with Widget on this one.....Absolutely detesting their scummy scam , you do have to realize that they know what they are doing (other than leaving a cell number) and they really dont leave any room to file a complaint... they also discourage filing by using the story that you are somehow getting a "hot item" at a good price..you really dont want to report that part to the police.

Far as I can see, you just purchased a lesson in life. But at least you have company, seems like many have fallen for this scam.

Mr. Widget
03-22-2009, 11:30 PM
I met a guy last week who ran into some fellows in a white van here in the SF Bay Area... he bought a "complete" HT system. 5 speakers and a receiver all branded as Genesis. He paid $300 for the "$4,000" system.

Apparently their ruse really works... with some folks at least. While in the parking lot with the Vannies, he phoned his wife at home and had her check out the provided website. Convinced he was getting a "steal" he paid them the money. :banghead:

Greed! The fool got just what he deserved. He asked me what I thought the system was worth... I told him that it might be worth what he paid for it. He hopes to get his money back via CL. I'll be surprised if he succeeds... but then as P.T. Barnum is attributed to have said...

Widget

Mr. Widget
09-16-2009, 08:17 AM
Two weeks ago a friend called... he was in a Home Depot parking lot where a fellow was offering him a pair of "$3500 DiVinci loudspeakers for $400." He was able to get the White Van retailers down in price from their original $400 to $100 plus a broken HP laser printer he had misrepresented as perfect... seems they are as gullible as their customers. :blink:

After having fun with them he left without completing the transaction.

Last weekend I was driving by a large pawn shop outside of Atlanta... they had a big sign proclaiming "50% off all speaker boxes". I had to stop and go in. :)

What I found was a pile of carpet covered home made car junk and a few cheapo Fisher et al POS cabinets, but I did get to see up close and personal not one but two complete theater in a box systems from famed White Van purveyor, Genesis Media Labs. They looked like those fake stereos that furniture stores sometimes use to demonstrate how media furniture will look... they were surprisingly cheesy looking. I was rather surprised that a pawn shop would give any money for such junk... I guess someone will buy almost anything if it's cheap enough. :blink:

Widget

BMWCCA
09-16-2009, 09:30 AM
I was rather surprised that a pawn shop would give any money for such junk... I guess someone will buy almost anything if it's cheap enough. :blink:Pawn shops have become shadowy retailers recently. Whether they have the "white-van" stuff on consignment, or not, I don't know but recently I was looking for an acoustic guitar for my daughter and the local pawn shops were full of "re-manufactured" Fender factory-seconds. Just like Ebay! (Read the fine print.) (http://ebayitem.com/140346169550) These are all Chinese-made Fenders, and other brands, sometimes with "2nd" or "used" stamped in the tuning head, sometimes not. All "new" in the sense they still had stickers on the pick-guards and hang-tags where applicable. No Fender warranty or "case-candy" as the guitar players refer to it. And they weren't that much cheaper than the same model from the legit local Fender dealer.

I ended up paying up and buying a nicer model (http://www.fender.com/products//search.php?partno=0960360021) from our local dealer where I received the personal attention of the long-time owner of that shop, himself. My daughter is happy, and I feel better about keeping another independent shop owner afloat, even if only for another day or so.

http://www.fender.com/products/prod_images/acoustics/0960360021_th.png

SEAWOLF97
10-04-2009, 11:07 AM
CL white vanner ....

Brand new 4,600 dollar home theater system for 1,500 OBO - $1500 (South East Portland)

Date: 2009-10-04, 10:07AM PDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads? (http://www.craigslist.org/about/help/replying_to_posts)]

Brand New Home Theater system from Genesis. This system retails for 4,600$!!!! My brother has one and I liked it so much that I bought one. Trying to move and won't have room for it. Hope to find a happy home for it. Let this superior sound system blow your mind as you watch your favorite BlueRay disks in HD. why not have HD sound? It goes against every manly fiber in my body to part with this but It is time to let it go. I am asking for 1,500 out of it but willing to take best offer. if someone wants to pay some of the accepted offer with a nice laptop I would consider it. so enjoy and call:

__________________________________________________ ____________

It is time to let it go ???? I thot it is new ??? Brand New Home Theater system from Genesis

get the story straight :banghead:

rgwalker
10-04-2009, 11:37 AM
they even have the list price printed on the "white van's white box" - must be a deal

I particularly like the finish options; mahogany, oak, cherry and 'carpet', which of course is the one marked off.

Bob W

jaynemo
12-11-2009, 02:03 PM
there is a sucker born every minute. Yet history hails him as a marketing genius. The white vanners are just one example in the long list of street hustlers, which if they are any good at what they do, and they are persistent enough, may have the credentials to evetually become elected or work on Wall Street. Or maybe talk you out of your last dollar if your ignorant enough. Spend some time in the big city and you will quickly learn how to ignore them. The "cold sell" in its rawest form....

:blah:

rlsound
01-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I can't believe these White Van operators are still out there.

Back in 2001, a High school friend of mine purchased the " Dogg Digital " speakers from a White Van. For the tidy sum of $700-800.

He called me over and I couldn't believe it. Stereo Review a few years prior to that ran an article on these speakers so I knew he was duped.

They were carpeted boxes with piezo tweeters. They didn't sound good at all.