PDA

View Full Version : L212 wiring advice

mesickmoose
10-28-2007, 04:24 PM
what is the preferred method or methods of hooking up a L212 set.

Obviously the sub has a right and left postive and negative input. Also each satellite tower has it's respective positive and negative input.

Not sure if i need a low voltage signal to the bass energizer or if it can handle a full load from an amplifier or receiver. I don't have the original paperwork for the set nor is it described to the best i can remember in the technical service manual.

thanks.

Don C
10-28-2007, 04:55 PM
If your amplifier has two sets of outputs, that's ideal. Just hook up the sub to one set of outputs, and the ultrabass to the other. If your amp has one output, hook both of the ultrabass inputs in parallel with the towers. The sub is setup to work with high level inputs. There was no equipment made with low level sub outputs back in the 70s, so it had to made made this way. There is a filter in the sub that removes high frequencies, while the towers naturally roll off their low end to match the sub.

MJC
10-30-2007, 06:22 AM
Two threads about the L212s, today, with the same question.
The sats can be connected to the amp; then parallel from sats to sub. Or in parallel from the amp. Also according to the manual, you can use small gauge wires to the sub
Here is a link for the L212 owner's manual.
Owner's Manual (http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/L212Instruction-om.pdf)Placement & Adjustment [Owner's Manual] (http://manuals.harman.com/JBL/HOM/Owner%27s%20Manual/L212Place-Adjust-om.pdf)

Don C
10-30-2007, 07:16 AM
The ultrabass module has high input impedance. You don't want that in series with the satellites. Hook them up in parallel.

MJC
10-30-2007, 07:54 AM
The ultrabass module has high input impedance. You don't want that in series with the satellites. Hook them up in parallel.
Ya, you're right, I have never had them in series, don't know what I was thinking, in that last post.