PDA

View Full Version : Missing slam

John Nebel
02-29-2004, 05:48 PM
Ain't got no slam. Don't JBL supposed to have slam? Must have the dials set wrong or the crossover crossed up.

(1) What is slam?

(2) What source material produces slam?

(3) What is the SPL at which slam kicks in?

(4) Is 2235 or 2-2234s slam devices?

(5) Or maybe the compression drivers slam?

Hate to be missing out.

John

speakerdave
02-29-2004, 06:18 PM
Rules of slam:

1--What is slam? What is time? If you don't ask me I know what it is; if you ask me I don't know what it is.

2--It's unmistakeable. If it happens you know it; if it don't happen you may not miss it until the onset of ennui, and then it's too late.

3--Like beauty, slam is somewhat in the ear of the behearer and somewhat really there.

4--Slam has to be on the disc before it can come out of the speaker! Maybe your discs are slamless to begin with. Certain producers are known for slam. Others . . . not so much.

David

Mr. Widget
02-29-2004, 06:41 PM
To misquote Supreme Court Justice Potter Stewart's sentiment, "I shall not today attempt further to define slam, ..but I know it when I hear it . . . "

Widget

boputnam
02-29-2004, 07:17 PM
I thought we were talking about Spam... :banghead:

Mr. Widget
02-29-2004, 07:27 PM
Bo,

You will be getting yours in your e-mail shortly.:D

Widget

Ian Mackenzie
02-29-2004, 10:21 PM
Slam is akin to steep low frequency transients and mixed with effects,

Modern genres have slam, the younger generation like slam, just tune into you local radio station...

Slammmmmmmmmm.

Ian :bomb:

John Nebel
03-01-2004, 01:44 PM
Ian,

So depending on the steepness of the transient this could very well get up into the HF range.

Which Sade CD did you demo with? I'd like to try it with 4435 and 4343 and suspect the 4343 may come across better in that regard.

Don once mentioned that during testing the 4430 was thought to be too polite and the design was modified to give it more "punch".

I haven't seen too much slam or punch listening to Bach at 100mw (4 channels * 25mw) which is why I was curious about the SPL required.

John

Ian Mackenzie
03-01-2004, 02:27 PM
I will find out the CD and burn the track for you,

I told him never to bring it again, you need seat belts..so buckle up

Ian

mikebake
03-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Ian Mackenzie
I will find out the CD and burn the track for you,

I told him never to bring it again, you need seat belts..so buckle up

Ian