PDA

View Full Version : This weeks sick HT setup

mikebake
02-29-2004, 08:52 AM
Newly-passived CS3115's and 2245's for subs. I usually run some garden variety home audio gear in here, actually to very nice result, but since I had some of this stuff downstairs here for working on ANYWAY...................
This is the basement rec room, generally inundated with overflow clothes etc. from the adjoining laundry room.
The block walls are nice and sturdy!!! 10 million lbs. of Midwest clay backing it up, for superior bass retention!! Har!
I can get this room nicely loud and not bother the bedrooms in the ground floor, but the living room right above gets a bass workout.
And yes, the 3115's are not really meant to be on the floor! These are actually setup to be flown, and the mid-hi horn can be rotated, but I don't think that'll work with my 7.5 ft ceiling!:D
Giskard grabbed on 3115 from me yesterday so he can ascertain what the tuning actually is on these boxes. Should be interesting to see. Plus he will be commencing to investigate the SBU1500's and an optimum enclosure. They will be nice down in the house for less real estate, but I surely like these 2245's. Perhaps I should build the Ian/Bo project and put them to use!

The stuff on the 3115 is a cable modem and wireless network, BTW.

mikebake
02-29-2004, 08:54 AM
The 4655BK's are the right are being readied for center channel duty; I'm working on the x-overs and I've stripped a few woofer mounting screws on each cab because the t-nuts were backed out of the plywood. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
This cheapo camera sucks. I bought it for my wife, who loses everything. Then she went out for Xmas and bought herself a killer $1K Nikon digital. Awesome pictures.
Last week a waiter spilled water on it at an event, and the club paid for a new camera. Apparently for $300 I can get the old one working and have a good camera!
MBB

johnaec
02-29-2004, 09:15 AM
What is a CS3115? I'm curious how it compensates for the depth of that midrange horn. And you might get a little better bass if the wheels were off the subs. :) Also, judging by those walls, I'd guess the sound is pretty "live" in there. It'd be interesting to hear the difference if you could hang some carpeting or similar over much of the cinder block area.

But awesome system for HT. A lot of bands would be jealous just to have that for PA!

David Dryden
02-29-2004, 09:17 AM
You're right Mike, that is sick! I should be so lucky as to be that ill! :D NICE setup. With all that "reinforcement" from the surrounding terrain, the sound pressure has nowhere to go but up. Must make for some interesting floor movement upstairs! What kinda power and crossover are you using?

mikebake
02-29-2004, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by johnaec
What is a CS3115? I'm curious how it compensates for the depth of that midrange horn. And you might get a little better bass if the wheels were off the subs. :) Also, judging by those walls, I'd guess the sound is pretty "live" in there. It'd be interesting to hear the difference if you could hang some carpeting or similar over much of the cinder block area.

But awesome system for HT. A lot of bands would be jealous just to have that for PA!

A CS3115 is a JBL Cinema Series speaker with a 2226G (these now have a 2226H in them), an M209-8A, and a 2426H.
They are set up to be either bi or tri amped, and call for the woofer to be delayed .41ms to jive with the mid horn. The xover to the tweet can be either passive at about 1.6 or active. Wheels on the subs arfe a necessity, as I didn't call this the setup of the week for nothing. I move everything around all the time.
Actually, the room is relatively dead, as the carpet and ceiling aren't bad, and the rest of the room has alot of heavy furniture, and items/materials that add dampening. Nonetheless, the main thing is that the nature of the mid horn dispersion eliminates alot of wall reflection, so the blocks aren't a problem.
It is fun for HT, but really doesn't function correctly in a small room; this rig doesn't come into it's own until used in a really large room, with three 3115's flown across the front, good processing and good power. A mid-fi HT setup is better in this setting, (but the subs can be left in, they work well in this arrangement) but it is kinda fun for awhile. Basically every product has it's correct application, and you CAN get some very good fidelity sound out of these 3115's, but using them in a home setting IS a bit laughable; at least until you hear a pair in a nice big living room, making some blues or jazz band sound like they are in the room with you!! :D

mikebake
02-29-2004, 10:05 AM
"Must make for some interesting floor movement upstairs! What kinda power and crossover are you using?"

Other than the THX intro cuts, I don't get too outta hand!
Generally I have used QSC PLX series amps and a Behringer CX3400, but since installing these passive/biampable JBL x0vers, I'm just running them off the HT receiver and the subs off noRh monoblock amps. You can tell that, even though the JBL pro stuff is efficient, it still doesn't work as well with the receiver as if it was being driven by amps with real balls.

David Dryden
02-29-2004, 04:32 PM
Mike, what do you think of the Behringer? I've been looking at one for my setup. It's either that or a Crown VFX-2A off of eBay. I used to have a Crown and liked its flexibility. I just wonder how the Behringer sounds since it supposedly doesn't have any phase shift.

mikebake
02-29-2004, 07:11 PM
Mine has been fine, but I like that snazzy new one they have that really has a ton of flexibility;
"3 analog inputs (one suitable as digital stereo AES/EBU input) and 6 analog outputs for maximum flexibility

High-end AKMŽ 24-bit/96 kHz A/D and D/A converters for ultimate signal integrity and wide dynamic range (113 dB)

Integrated sample rate converter for easy connection of external digital signals with sampling rates from 32 to 96 kHz

Precise dynamic EQs for level-dependent equalization and extremely musical parametric EQs, selectable for all inputs and outputs

Several types of EQs (LP/BP/HP) for each input and output

"Zero"-attack limiters on all output channels for optimal speaker protection

4 different mono and stereo output operating modes

Individual crossover filter types (Butterworth, Bessel and Linkwitz-Riley) with selectable roll-off characteristics from 6 to 48 dB/octave

Adjustable delays for all inputs and outputs-allow manual or automatic correction for room temperature, phase and arrival time differences"

etc.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--BEHDCX2496