PDA

View Full Version : Question on 5235 gain structure

scorpio
10-20-2007, 01:32 AM
Hi all, I'd appreciate to know from user of these crossovers how much extra noise they are 'injecting' in their system, if any. I'd like to use them in place of my passive line levels crossovers in a 'hifi' - by that I mean non professional gear, working on a higher gain structure - set up. My passive does not 'inject' much noise (it picks a little EMF) but in combination with my HF amp, the level of noise in my seating position is about as much as I am ready to have. I know that the 5235 would probably be better overall for dynamics and flexibility, but I'm concerned that the +6 db level would just make the HF noise to high. What's your experience with this?

It would fit between a citation 25 preamp and Citation 22 + Trends TA-10 low and hi amps going into 2450's

Thanks for the help guys,

Robh3606
10-20-2007, 07:41 AM
I use 3 JBL active crossovers an M552,M553 and a DX-1 in use now. I don't have any noise problems at all. I have a 5235 in the rack but have never used it. I just just drop the input levels on the amps and fine adjust with the crossover driver levels.

Rob:)

subwoof
10-27-2007, 11:09 AM
The 5235's input and LF outputs are set for unity gain and will work with any level signal consumer ( -10 ) or pro ( +4 to +10 ). The HF outputs are adjustable up to unity.

You should download the manual from JBL and read it carefully:

http://www.jblproservice.com/navigation/Vintage%20JBL-UREI%20Electronics.html

As with all signal processing devices it will introduce some noise BUT this crossover only has a few stages so it's not very noticeable.

To preserve S/N you should run all preamps and processing about 6 db under their max output and adjust the amplifier gain controls down to balance the system.

sub

scorpio
10-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Thanks Subwoof,
I had read the manual by did not understand that part, I'm quite 'uneducated' when it comes to this side of stuff. Anyway, I think that I have found one, and this is with my usual reseller, so he'll let me try it in my system before I buy.

I'm cautious about this since I made an attempt with a Behringer 8024 a long time ago and it was a disaster (I understand the Urei stuff is in another league).

Cheers,