PDA

View Full Version : Touching up 250Ti Teak

brutal
10-19-2007, 08:48 AM
Can anyone confirm that the rounded edge pieces and corners are solid teak? One of my newly arrived pair has a few minor cosmetic issues along the top front edge and I'd like to apply a little elbow grease and sandpaper, followed by Watco natural tung oil to clean it up.

I've used my methods on Walnut veneers, but never touched anything like this before. Is it safe to assume they're also only an oiled finish, no stains or other vodoo applied?

Any other cautions or recommendations?

Cheers!

vettedrummer
10-29-2007, 02:58 AM
All of the furniture in our hom is teak. If it getsa scratch on it I fine sand or steel wool it and then oil and it comes right back to match the area around it. In looking at my 250Ti's I say it sure looks like a solid piece of wood on there to me. I doubt they would have used anything other than solid teak on the edges. But then McIntosh used fake walnut coloring on the ML1C's grille frames and when you sand them you hit a white hard wood of some kind, perhaps alder.

brutal
10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Thanks. While I had them on their backs the other day to check the driver wiring, I can see form the bottom that they are a solid piece.

What do you use your S38's for? I use mine for the front "effects" speakers my Yami can use on certain DSP modes. i think they're a great little speaker and would use more of them for surround if I had a proper room setup. They can be a bit harsh for music, but certainly have the punch for HT use.

I'm interested to know what your opinion of them is.

vettedrummer
11-02-2007, 02:20 AM
I use one set of the S38's in my daughters room as her main speakers. They are mounted from her ceiling and tilted down towards her bed. They are in the beech finish. She has an Adcom set up with the 545 amp. I also have a second set in cherry that at present aren't doing anything at all. I found a nice pair of cherry stands for them, but since they don't compare with any of the vintage JBL speakers I own I never use them. Cheers, Frank