PDA

View Full Version : Heathkit by Lansing

mikezcar
10-18-2007, 06:06 PM
I have run into a fellow who has a set of 15" Heathkit by Lansing speakers, very old, very heavy, look like D130's. One of the "spiders"(?) think that's the right term anyway where the cone attaches is "sunk" down. When you compare speakers the spider on one is straight across when looking from the side and the other is "sunk" in. When pushed hard the coil bottoms out. He re-foamed himself could that be it? What could have caused this? Is there a fix?

Mike

BMWCCA
10-18-2007, 09:00 PM
Ain't no foam on a D130. A photo or two might help.

100AMPFUSE
10-18-2007, 10:08 PM
I dont think HEATH ever offered "very old" 15" JBLs,please someone prove me wrong,or for that matter,what were the models that did have JBL?? or the D130 now has a foam surround!

garyl
10-19-2007, 04:22 AM
HEATH-KIT! Most that I have seen have Altec components but they were a kit speaker so any suitable woofer may have been used.

Back in those good-ol days quite a few companies sold kits in varying states of load and finish. I would not be surprised to find a JBL load in a nice cabinet.

Pictures here will save a thousand words!

Gary

mikezcar
10-19-2007, 05:32 AM
It LOOKS like a D130, kinda, but it's "Heathkit by Lansing" on the label. It's an hour away and I did not have my camera with me, he does not even have a computer although he does have a set of Wharfdales, Cornwalls, L55's, C36's etc. These may or may not have had foam surrounds originally but they do now, will try to get a pic BUT the question was about the spider sagging, pretend it's a D130, any thoughts?

Mike

BMWCCA
10-19-2007, 06:07 AM
BUT the question was about the spider sagging, pretend it's a D130, any thoughts?Ok, I'll play: It might be caused by trying to fit a foam surround on a paper-cone, un-treated rolled-edge D130. But I doubt it. Seriously, my D130s have been in place in their cabinets for over 50 years and when I have had them out for cleaning, curiosity, new grille cloth, etc. there's no sign of sagging and I've never even rotated them. I don't have the JBL knowledge to tell you what those are in the Heathkit cabinets but, judging from your description, if they're D130s I feel sorry for them. :(

Thom
10-19-2007, 06:08 AM
You can get the spider out of vertical alignment, or help it, when refoaming. Though some might argue, if it needs help it's all over, but most likely it saged before refoaming and needs replaced. I have read on this forum that you can replace the spider without reconing. I have no personal knowledge of this.

jblwolf
10-19-2007, 08:37 AM
if someone did replace the surround with a foam surround,than it may have caused the cone to sag, or it maybe be a model le14,JBL did supply that speaker,if thats the case than more than likely the spider/surround is wore out, I have replaced the spider/surround on a le10 and a le15,my local JBL source is long gone,but you should be able to find a source that will do the replace/sell the part.but that seems like a $$$ proposition,there seems to be a over abundancy of just about any JBL on ebay.ebay seem to have also become a good source for parts too.:blah::blah: :blah:

mikezcar
10-19-2007, 07:51 PM
Talked to the guy on the phone earlier, they are 12"'s NOT 15"'s, my bad. They were also "foamed" because the guy he let work on them told him the rubber surrounds were no longer available. Sorry, back room of an old wood frame house with no light. Trying to look with a small, weak flashlight and I was quite distracted by the Wharfdales, Cornwalls, L55's, and others including a set of C36's that just might have the 130A's I need for my C40's. He wants the Heathkits(sure he has his reasons picking them over the others) working and set of replacement tweeters for the L55's. He also added that the spider was droopy before the foam job and he was hoping that would correct it.

I'll get a pic when I can, will have to email it to someone and get them to post for me as have had no luck posting pics here in the past, volunteer?

Any chance the spider can be replaced without trashing the original cone?

What would be an affordable upgrade for the L55 tweeters over stock?

Thanks, Mike

Don C
10-19-2007, 07:57 PM
OK they're probably 123A-1.

JohnK
10-19-2007, 08:49 PM
Heath sold LE14's those have foam. They are a green color.

hjames
10-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Heath sold LE14's those have foam. They are a green color.

Green makes them sound more like Altecs ...

Don C
10-19-2007, 10:16 PM
Heaths made by JBL are green. Even the cones. These could probably be reconed, then they would have white cones. The cost would probably exceed the resale value though.

Thom
10-20-2007, 09:45 AM
Heaths made by JBL are green. Even the cones. These could probably be reconed, then they would have white cones. The cost would probably exceed the resale value though.

I've got green Heath 123's from Heath 88's and the pot's are shaped different also. Seems like a major change to go through for heath. I have to wonder what else might be different.