PDA

View Full Version : OCS Gets a Thumbs Up

toddalin
10-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Today I called Orange County Speaker regarding the low BL factor after they recharged the 2205/2235s. Grumpy had measured one at 17-18 and JBL spec for an Alnico magnet woofer is 21.

They agreed that the value was low and said they would recharge the magnets at no charge. Wow, even though it had been almost 2 years, they gave me no grief about it. :applaud:

Zilch
10-09-2007, 12:18 PM
Yeah, well, after they do it right, talk to them about their dubious but apparently universal and standard practice of installing foam surrounds on the front of cones, even when the originals are on the rear.

The instructions that come with their kits say the same thing, and it's simply wrong when it comes to JBL. :biting:

I guess to the purist it's a good thing, because it serves as indicator that the driver should have been reconed, which will have to be done anyway, but for the rest of us, we'd like to at least be able to pretend our drivers are good as new.... :yes:

toddalin
10-09-2007, 12:32 PM
Yeah, well, after they do it right, talk to them about their dubious but apparently universal and standard practice of installing foam surrounds on the front of cones, even when the originals are on the rear.

The instructions that come with their kits say the same thing, and it's simply wrong when it comes to JBL. :biting:

I guess to the purist it's a good thing, because it serves as indicator that the driver should have been reconed, which will have to be done anyway, but for the rest of us, we'd like to at least be able to pretend our drivers are good as new.... :yes:

I've mentioned that to them in the past. When I bring in speakers for foams, I put it in writting that the foams are to be installed on the backs. ;)

When I recharge the 2205s, I need to have my L112 foams redone, and will express this again.

Agreed one should not have to ask, but it seems the only way to get them to do it. I just pity the people who don't know to ask then are dis-satisfied. :(

BMWCCA
10-09-2007, 12:40 PM
OCS Gets a Thumbs UpThumbs up where? :moon:

hjames
10-09-2007, 02:20 PM
OCS Gets a Thumbs Up
Thumbs up where?:moon:

:rotfl:

SMKSoundPro
10-09-2007, 11:24 PM
that's cute for a lot of reasons!

OC Speaker
11-12-2007, 12:35 PM

I just wanted to let everyone know that we DO install the foam surrounds on JBL speakers to the back of the cone. We have, in the past, installed them to the front, but this is not something we have done in quite some time. :)

Best Regards,
Eric Sunda
Orange County Speaker, Inc.
800-897-8373 M-F 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Pacific Time
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/

Titanium Dome
11-12-2007, 01:15 PM
Eric

You're a brave man, but thanks for coming here to make that statement.

Of course, now that you have, some wise guy will report to us the instant that a speaker comes through with the foam on the wrong side and attribute it to OC Speaker (whether you did it or not).

Anyway, welcome to the forums. :yes: You'll find it a mostly friendly and fun place, sprinkled with a lot of good information and high expectations.

OC Speaker
11-12-2007, 01:52 PM
Eric

You're a brave man, but thanks for coming here to make that statement.

Of course, now that you have, some wise guy will report to us the instant that a speaker comes through with the foam on the wrong side and attribute it to OC Speaker (whether you did it or not).

Anyway, welcome to the forums. :yes: You'll find it a mostly friendly and fun place, sprinkled with a lot of good information and high expectations.

You're probably right. But I thought I'd squash this now since we actually haven't done that in years. But sure, we've re-edged 100s of speakers a month for the last 40 years, so there are lot of them out there! :)

Take care,
Eric Sunda
OCS, Inc.

toddalin
11-12-2007, 02:28 PM
I was in OCS today to drop off the 12s for refoam and spoke with Eric. He informed me that OCS had stopped refoaming on the wrong side years ago, unless of course that was the original design. (Still, I did have it spelled out on the work order. ;))

Also, when I brought in the 2205/2235s, Eric had them recharged for me while I waited for them. No charge! :thmbsup:

Thanks Eric. :)

toddalin
11-12-2007, 02:34 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that we DO install the foam surrounds on JBL speakers to the back of the cone. We have, in the past, installed them to the front, but this is not something we have done in quite some time. :)

Best Regards,
Eric Sunda
Orange County Speaker, Inc.
800-897-8373 M-F 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Pacific Time
http://www.SpeakerRepair.com/

Welcome to the Forum Eric. Was nice talking with you today.

Todd

alskinner
11-12-2007, 03:39 PM
I have always gotten good service from OC speaker. Like Todd the one issue I did have they corrected immediately no questions. That's why I send my JBLs from Alabama to them when they need service. Customer service still means a lot to me. Do I get a 10% discount for this plug? :D

Regards
AL

Zilch
11-12-2007, 07:02 PM
http://www.speakerrepair.com/instructions.html

Also, if your foam was originally glued on the back of the cone we recommend gluing it on the front of the cone. Gluing it on the front will not effect the sound and it is much easier to glue the foam on the front.

"Affect," I believe would be correct.

[I am SUCH a shit.... :p ]

4313B
11-12-2007, 07:14 PM
http://www.klippel.de/

SEAWOLF97
11-12-2007, 08:14 PM
http://www.speakerrepair.com/instructions.html

Originally Posted by OCS Refoam Instructions

"You do not need to completely remove all the glue from the cone or frame."

now they tell me.

Allanvh5150
11-12-2007, 09:58 PM
I think OCS need to change thier instructions to reflect the fact that they don't re-foam on the front of the cone. I got a pair of 128's off ebay a year ago that were done at OCS I believe. Absolutely mint except that when they arrived the foams were on the front of the cones. I have done a few re-foams and I cant see how glueing the foam on the front of the cone as being easier. And it looks pretty crappy to boot.:)

grumpy
11-12-2007, 10:41 PM
Worthwhile paper on loudspeaker non-linearities... thanks 4313B ;)

BMWCCA
11-13-2007, 06:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCS Refoam Instructions
Also, if your foam was originally glued on the back of the cone we recommend gluing it on the front of the cone. Gluing it on the front will not effect the sound and it is much easier to glue the foam on the front.

"Affect," I believe would be correct.

[I am SUCH a shit.... :p ]Yep, the way they use it you're right.

Either of these, however, would be considered correct (grammatically only, of course ;)):

• Gluing it on the front will not affect the sound
• Gluing it on the front will not have any effect on the sound

English is very strange. Regardless (not irregardless...shudder), I'm glad they've changed their policy. Just wash that thumb really well before you suck it!

toddalin
11-15-2007, 10:49 AM
Today I called Orange County Speaker regarding the low BL factor after they recharged the 2205/2235s. Grumpy had measured one at 17-18 and JBL spec for an Alnico magnet woofer is 21.

They agreed that the value was low and said they would recharge the magnets at no charge. Wow, even though it had been almost 2 years, they gave me no grief about it. :applaud:

Grumpy came by last night and brought over Woofer Tester-2 to see if the recharge on the 2205/2235s would sucessfully raise the BL factor. Two months ago we had performed two measurements on one of the three woofers and both tests came out between 17-18. (JBL spec for the AlNiCo woofer's BL is 21.)

All three woofers were purchased at the same time from the same ebay vendor in the same lot of the same origin as baskets in Nov 2005 and reconed/remagnetized by OCS in Dec 2005.

The tests showed that the recharge last Monday was a success. Two tests on one of the woofers (but not the woofer originally tested two months ago) both came up with the BL factor at 23.5. The Woofer Tester indicated that for all intents and purposes, these now spec out as true 2235s except that they have AlNiCo magnets. :applaud:

(But there is no way these things get up to 1kHz even without any crossover, at least in my L200 cabinets in my room. :o:)

4313B
11-15-2007, 10:57 AM
I'm glad you're getting all your problems worked out.
(But there is no way these things get up to 1kHz even without any crossover, at least in my L200 cabinets in my room. :o:)http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=10651

As has been stated before though, the end user has to measure their own transducers for their intended application. The 2235H as used in the 4430 had a nominal crossover frequency of 1 kHz where both transducers were down a fair amount. Some people on this forum have a really tough time with that, but really, who cares? They are what they are and alot of people like them. Go figure. :dont-know