PDA

View Full Version : 2nd Dinner in London

Guido
10-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Last weekend I stayed at Richards famous Art and JBL Studio in Little Nigeria / London.

Here some pics:
1st Studio with JBLs
2nd Studio total
3rd 4345 Front
4th 4345 side

Guido
10-08-2007, 07:18 AM
He's a woodworking master but also a true artist.

Guido
10-08-2007, 07:22 AM
We finished the H9800 clones and connected the 2435 (fresh circular aquaplas coat).

A big THANK YOU to sweden!

Guido
10-08-2007, 07:26 AM
We did extensive listening tests with the H9800/2435 connected in place of the 2425/fog horn.

Yes, we know that the impedance and probably the response doesn't match. It isn't a drop in and we could hear it. BUT the 2435 is such an improvement to the 2425. It is several steps up!

Guido
10-08-2007, 07:28 AM
We also worked on some new toys :D

Guido
10-08-2007, 07:29 AM
HE, this was a working weekend!
Was it? :p

Earl K
10-08-2007, 07:47 AM
Nice !

Great to see these things moving along . I especially enjoyed the pic of the H9800 clone on top of the 4345. I believe that this is the first time I've actually formed a proper perspective about how physically small that horn is . Thanks !

Almost 20 years ago I ( semi-legally ) lived in a similar space here in T.O. , though it was much much larger ( 2800 sq ft ) . It's amazing how "productive" such dual-purpose spaces can be in the overall big picture ( I really do miss that freedom ).

<> :)

Guido
10-08-2007, 10:44 AM
Just yesterday while going through boxes I realized that I had enough 1500AL's to go with a 4435 type arrangement instead. :hmm:

Four 1500AL? I would call it an Everest 2 low end for real amps.
You can always send two 1500AL to Europe if you want to get rid of them ;)

Very nice! Do you have 4.5 cu ft in there?

It's more like 5.3 cu ft net. More room to play with the tuning.

And yes, there was a delivery. It wasn't removed for the pics. :o:

richluvsound
10-08-2007, 03:08 PM
Looks precariously perched.

Its been moved since then.;)

Rich

Ian Mackenzie
10-08-2007, 03:43 PM
Nice work Guido & Rich.

Rich,

After seeing your bending press the the way you can knock out the construction I am wondering if you can lend a hand with the project May enclosures?

Ian

macaroonie
10-09-2007, 02:48 AM
Hey I was just looking at your Swede Horns there and it occurred to me that you have a fine pair of original mould patterns as in why don't you move a step forward and cast these in mineral filled resin ?
As I remember Rich is familiar with this type of material. Its got to be good though, non resonant and cheap and most of all repeatable.
Best wishes.

Guido
10-09-2007, 04:49 AM
Rich,
After seeing your bending press the the way you can knock out the construction I am wondering if you can lend a hand with the project May enclosures?
Ian

Nah!

Building cabinets for the USA in europe? What about shipping?
Honestly: Project May is more then 3 years old. No idea why it wasn't possible to fabricate these cabs overseas in that time.

richluvsound
10-09-2007, 05:01 AM
Nice work Guido & Rich.

Rich,

Ian

Ian,

thats a nice compliment indeed. However, The boys over the pond are pretty
good at this stuff too ! Widget,Giskard, Rob, Riessen,Ti, Sub,bo,Zilch. `I'm pretty sure they could do without another opinion to slow things down. I think Guido and I are ok just plodding along in our own way just chipping in with everyone when we can.
Although I would'nt say no to a working ( JBL ) vacation in Melbourne: sun ,sand, bikini cladd Nathalie and Kylie clones and ofcourse, many laughs with the" BIG MACKA "!applaud:
Rich

Ian Mackenzie
10-09-2007, 05:36 AM
Nah!

Building cabinets for the USA in europe? What about shipping?
Honestly: Project May is more then 3 years old. No idea why it wasn't possible to fabricate these cabs overseas in that time.

Well in a practical sense that is probably true.

My impressions when I was there was Rich is gifted with turning an idea into a really well engineered design.

I had no idea Rich welded the stairs..the stair way to heaven.

Implemention is flawless.

I have seen many people struggle with curved panels.

Rich just seems to get it right first time and he gets the job done. That's important !

The press and the panels are very clever.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
10-09-2007, 05:43 AM
Ian,

thats a nice compliment indeed. However, The boys over the pond are pretty
good at this stuff too ! Widget,Giskard, Rob, Riessen,Ti, Sub,bo,Zilch. `I'm pretty sure they could do without another opinion to slow things down. I think Guido and I are ok just plodding along in our own way just chipping in with everyone when we can.
Although I would'nt say no to a working ( JBL ) vacation in Melbourne: sun ,sand, bikini cladd Nathalie and Kylie clones and ofcourse, many laughs with the" BIG MACKA "!applaud:
Rich

You are most welcome,

Just don't wear yourself out before you get here....LOL.

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
10-09-2007, 06:06 AM
What an admission. That post belongs in the project May progress thread.

Rich,

Can you describe how you finished the horns?

They look every smooth compared to when I saw them.

Ian

boputnam
10-09-2007, 08:53 AM
Hey, Rich...

What is the amp you are using on the 2245H's...? I missed that if it was posted previously (sorry... :o: ).

richluvsound
10-09-2007, 09:30 AM
Ian,

I first sealed the MDF with a PVA and water mix. Then Epoxy filler paste, 4 coats of 2-part Epoxy Resin; wet'n' dry between each coat and then finished off with a couple coats of spray paint.

I had to re-build the rear openning with Epoxy and sand it back.

Rich

richluvsound
10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Hey, Rich...

What is the amp you are using on the 2245H's...? I missed that if it was posted previously (sorry... :o: ).

Hi bo,

Guido sorted this one for me:D . SAC 150 mono blocks out of Germany. Looking forward to the Xover and subsequent bi-amping in the very near future. Ian gave the QSC's rave reviews. And , someone who shall remain nameless ( Guido suggested) a X600.5 type amp and stick to passive. More power either way. 2435 dusted is an excellent upgrade. I can really get the physical experience I crave now without the 2425 Ti going awall. You lot are right, there is a lifetimes fun to be had with these puppies.

Infact , there may even be a new 45er member in the making.;)
Ofcourse we will have to vote him in :D

Agian, " he who shall remain nameless"

Rich

boputnam
10-09-2007, 10:39 AM
Guido sorted this one for me:D . SAC 150 mono blocks out of Germany. Looking forward to the Xover and subsequent bi-amping in the very near future. Ian gave the QSC's rave reviews. Yea, I'd be very interested in you trying something like the QSC or LabGruppen on the LF - I imagine it might tighten-up the bass response considerably. Do let us know when you are able to bi-amp and what your impressions are. :)