PDA

View Full Version : Linen surrounds

89-300ce
10-02-2007, 08:02 AM
How are linen surrounds treated? Is there any way to re-condition them? One of my woofers seems to make a little noise from the surround when moved slightly in and out by hand. It's definately not from the voice coil. There is no mechanical interference at the surrounds. This seems to be coming from the surround cloth itself. On music it translates to a very very slight buzz at high volumes, only audible when you are right at the cone, but still, now I think I can hear it in my listening position even when I know I can't.:biting:

Lightly placing my fingers on the surrounds while playing seems to affect it. Playing with it on my bench it almost seems like the surrounds might be too dry.
Any suggestions?

Jorg

Earl K
10-02-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi Jorg

- Sounds like the doping compound on the surround has dried out.
- I don't know how to revitalize that ( though heat &/or chemical additives would be my first approach ).
- If mine & I suspected that I might ruin the surround with "my own experiments" , I'd first want to know that Rick Cobb can provide me with some type of "foam surround" that would fit that unique cone ( that'll involve cutting out & removing the old surround ) . Contact Rick to get some directions on what meaningfull measurements to make on those cones .

- A stiffening surround will alter ( raise ) a woofers Fs ( free air resonance ).
- And changing the Fs will alter other Ts parameters

- You should measure the Fs ( & Ts ) for both your woofers.
- I assume that ( by now ) you've got Woofer Tester II or III,, right ?

<> :)

89-300ce
10-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Hi Jorg

- You should measure the Fs ( & Ts ) for both your woofers.
- Bye now, you've got Woofer Tester II or III, right ?

<> :)

Ahh, your killing me.
I'm still working on the RTA.
My friend just picked up at TRAX something of other pre-amp (new $5000) that in combination with a laptop and mic does RTA, digital EQ, time alignment of drivers, and sub-woofer crossover and time alignment. Nice thing is that it gives you an output of what it's doing so I can try to match it passively. I'll be able to use it to match my woofers into the crossover, physicaly locate my horns in relation to the woofers, and tackle room effect.

That's the plan so far.

Jorg

Hoerninger
10-02-2007, 02:08 PM
Ahh, your killing me.

I do not understand, but now two different things are discussed:

With RTA and so on you test the interaction of speaker and room.

But with Woofertester WT (or other programs) you detemine the parameters of a single speaker. With the actual parameters it can be judged whether the surrounds will do it.

Zilch
10-02-2007, 02:10 PM
For $99 more, you can have WT3, as well, from Parts Express.... :p

89-300ce
10-02-2007, 02:49 PM
I do not understand, but now two different things are discussed:

With RTA and so on you test the interaction of speaker and room.

But with Woofertester WT (or other programs) you detemine the parameters of a single speaker. With the actual parameters it can be judged whether the surrounds will do it.

Sorry, I was joking. I was referring to another post in another thread where Earl recommended I get RTA.

I think I've found a way to avoid purchasing RTA by using the TRAX which also does time alignment. I could end up spending more in test equipment than in the speakers.

Jorg

John
10-02-2007, 11:08 PM
How are linen surrounds treated? Is there any way to re-condition them? One of my woofers seems to make a little noise from the surround when moved slightly in and out by hand. It's definately not from the voice coil. There is no mechanical interference at the surrounds. This seems to be coming from the surround cloth itself. On music it translates to a very very slight buzz at high volumes, only audible when you are right at the cone, but still, now I think I can hear it in my listening position even when I know I can't.:biting:

Lightly placing my fingers on the surrounds while playing seems to affect it. Playing with it on my bench it almost seems like the surrounds might be too dry.
Any suggestions?

Jorg

I have the stuff you seek and could give your surrounds a treat, but I am not sure that is your problem???

89-300ce
10-03-2007, 06:55 AM
I have the stuff you seek and could give your surrounds a treat, but I am not sure that is your problem???

PM sent.

Jorg