PDA

View Full Version : MINT 4315’s

jblbgw_man
10-02-2007, 04:28 AM
MINT 4315’s

Just thought I might share my latest acquisition with the forum members, 4315's MINT. Shipped up to a remote TV and FM Radio Broadcast site in our City from new, where they were mounted in the smoke free control room and they have sat there ever since. The site has not been manned 24/7 since 1990 therefore they have almost had no use since then, the 2203 drivers were refoamed around 1993, but with non JBL surrounds. I have had my eye on these for the last 6 years or so while I have done work up there and have just managed to get them "written off". Lucky me!! These babies have had very little use and certainly never had any real power through them and all the spiders are still flat and the cones are immaculate, even the grills are like brand new. I have just had the 2108's and 2203’s refoamed with what seem to be genuine JBL surrounds from Rick Cobb Looneytunes ebay seller, did my 2234’s last year with his surrounds and was very happy with them. The only problem with the 4315’s is one of the foilcals is peeling off from the bottom (see pic) does anybody know what these were glued on with? Not sure what I will do with these monitors yet, just hang on to them like my 4430 flower stands….. and the collection continues!! These are my first introduction to JBL Alnico 4 ways as I have had 4430/4435’s since the 80’s, but first impression is that the midrange and vocals are extremely clear and up front even with the level controls wound back a couple of dB as per Greg Timbers post, although I do find the 2105 a little squawky, of course the bottom end is no comparison to the 4430/4435’s but can see these would be ideal as TV / FM control room monitoring, they easily take all the power from my BGW 250D. Now I am on the lookout for 4343’s or 4345’s or even 4350’s ….. I like to preserve these masterpieces of the 70's, well at least it keeps me on the straight and narrow and no hint of divorce yet …….. that I am aware of!!

Cheers:cheers:

bigyank
10-02-2007, 05:54 AM
Very, very nice looking pair! Congratulations! :applaud:

Yank

glen
10-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Nice find you lucky dog!

Rolf
10-04-2007, 08:07 AM
You lucky man. I wonder were all the JBL's sold in my country in the 70's are. Very few to be seen or advertised. Maybe those who have them want to keep them.

Audiobeer
10-04-2007, 05:14 PM
They look beautiful. Nice speakers for collecting.....however when given a choice for listening, I'll take the ones behind them!!!! :p

soundboy
10-07-2007, 10:05 AM
I had a mint pair of these same vintage 4315's....I too found the 2105 more than a bit shouty and harsh...no offence to anyone...but it was a marked improvement to upgrade with a newer ceramic 2105H...I beleive I used an LE5-12...been a long time....but it was a huge improvement in listenability and smoothness, without taking away the great vocal qualities of this monitor. Just my two cents...have fun, you are a very lucky man!!:applaud:

jblbgw_man
10-08-2007, 03:54 AM
I had a mint pair of these same vintage 4315's....I too found the 2105 more than a bit shouty and harsh...no offence to anyone...but it was a marked improvement to upgrade with a newer ceramic 2105H...I beleive I used an LE5-12...been a long time....but it was a huge improvement in listenability and smoothness, without taking away the great vocal qualities of this monitor. Just my two cents...have fun, you are a very lucky man!!:applaud:

Yes I remember reading about the 2105 ceramic upgrade in previous posts, so I purchased a pair of ceramic 2105H's from ebay a few months ago based on that post, but I'm torn between keeping them stock or not, if I am going to use them somewhere then I will probably swap them out. IMHO the vocals are suprisingly more dynamic on the 4315's than my 4435's with 5235 which really amazed me, I like the 4315's and am now keen to track down some 4345's or 4343's ..... I just love this vintage stuff!! :cheers:

Chas
10-08-2007, 06:21 AM
Nice looking monitors. As an owner of both varieties, (4430 & 4345), I think there are some unique virtues in both realisations of two different concepts.

However, IMHO, one cannot even begin to seriously compare the two approaches until they are updated with more modern capacitors. Both designs can be transformed wth a little effort and it's amazing to hear Mr. Timbers' work, as it should be heard, once the OEM mylar capacitor grunge has been removed.

The net result, after this mod, is that the 4430's are at work doing a superb job in HT service. The four ways are simply stunning for two channel service where I usually sit in the same listening location.

Enjoy your new speakers!:)