PDA

View Full Version : Newbie checking in...

Inheritance
10-01-2007, 09:48 PM
I chose this username and it is how I acquired my equipment. From what I researched it appears that I have a C34,C35,C37, and C38. They belonged to my dear uncle who passed. We shared an appreciation for pure clean sound.

Anyway, on to my post. They have spent the past couple of years sitting unused. I would like to assess the condition of the components in each speaker. They all have D130's and 075's, with the exception of the C34 which has a 175/potato masher.

Does this sound like these might be the original components or have they been hacked? What are the appropriate crossovers used with each? N1200, N2400, N2500, etc?

My wife will never allow these monsters into the living room but I can have fun with them and I would like to keep them in proper working order for the next 50 years. I have read quite a few posts and would love to get expert advice from the senior members.

timc
10-02-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi.

Welcome to the LH forum :applaud:

I'm afraid i cant help you with your question but there are quite a few in here who can.

-Tim

Inheritance
10-02-2007, 04:50 AM
I was going to answer Seawolf's poll about age but I'm really not sure if mine are 50's or 60's.

Hofmannhp
10-02-2007, 05:50 AM
I was going to answer Seawolf's poll about age but I'm really not sure if mine are 50's or 60's.

Hi Inheritance,

first of all.....welcome to the forum.

we here, in this forum, built a registry for the vintage speakers.
This means, that we collect all data since several years, about the speakers and drivers, we can get from members and others.

It may be possible that, if you send me ( I am the guy who holds the list) all numbers of cabs and drivers, we can tell you more about original drivers or age.

Just send me a PM, if you don't want to post it here.
Please also pay attention to our thread "Serial Number Registry". This is the first "sticky" thread in the "Lansing products general Information".

regards

HP

bigyank
10-02-2007, 05:52 AM
Welcome aboard! :applaud:

Now how about some pics!

:useless:

Yank

00Robin
10-02-2007, 07:18 AM
What is with these WIVES and their speaker dislike and fear of "ruining the decor?"....

Available: One wifely sort who loves Speakers AS decor and function. Must be real wood though. Big and heavy. Comes with 604c Altec's in Walnut cabinets,Hammond B3 Organ and Leslie 122 matching speaker,bench,pedalboard and tone cabinet with tubes. Looking for man with WAY too many speakers and really good receivers...:bouncy:

Baron030
10-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi Inheritance

Welcome to the Lansing Heritage forums. It's not at all unusual for JBLs to be passed downed as family heirlooms. My own nephew has my old 030 system and he is enjoying them just as much as I ever did. The speakers that you have inherited are very well documented here on this site. So, spend some time in the Library and use the forum search feature and all of your questions will be answered. There are wonderful resources here, so please take advantage of them. But, you should also take the time and share. It is by sharing that this site has become such a great resource.

It's a shame that your wife will not allow the big JBLs into the living room.
Maybe if she were to listen to them a lot, she will get addicted to the sound and change her mind.

Enjoy your inheritance,
Baron030 :)

spkrman57
10-02-2007, 09:29 AM
I am in Columbus(east side).

Ron

Inheritance
10-02-2007, 03:28 PM
Cleveland (east side)

Inheritance
03-21-2008, 05:45 PM
Well, It's just like me to drop it for 5 or 6 months and then post out of the blue. Here is the front of my C34.

johnaec
03-21-2008, 07:02 PM
That looks to be in very nice shape? 2 of them? I'm assuming they have grilles, the components are so clean.

John

edgewound
03-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Well, It's just like me to drop it for 5 or 6 months and then post out of the blue. Here is the front of my C34.

That D130 looks to have been reconed somewhere down the line. Either a K130 or E130 kit. A hand written date on the back of the cone will tell a story. Pre-1980 most likely K130, post 1980 E130.

Looks very good too....probably a Terry Duran-era(God rest her soul) factory recone. She was my trainer.

Inheritance
11-03-2008, 07:10 PM
Edgewound, 4/90 is written on the back of the cone in white china marker.

Inheritance
01-20-2010, 06:47 PM
Okay, I know this probably isn't the right place, but......

Wifey is pushing for me to purge my vintage JBL loudspeakers. I have a single C34, C35, C37, and C38. Obviously being a huge admirer of the quality of this equipment I would like to sell them whole. It might break my heart to have them parted out and sold on Ebay. So, I guess you could consider this a survey. If you had to sell these babies how would you do it?

Punch
01-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Welcome!

Harvey Gerst
01-20-2010, 10:18 PM
Uh, that's not a C34. A C34 is a rear-loaded corner horn.

jcrobso
01-21-2010, 01:55 PM
Okay, I know this probably isn't the right place, but......

Wifey is pushing for me to purge my vintage JBL loudspeakers. I have a single C34, C35, C37, and C38. Obviously being a huge admirer of the quality of this equipment I would like to sell them whole. It might break my heart to have them parted out and sold on Ebay. So, I guess you could consider this a survey. If you had to sell these babies how would you do it?

OK, that is not the best idea!:blink:
You are between a rock and a hard place, so to speak.:banghead:
Whole vintage speaker systems do sell on eBay, the big hindrance is shipping, many adds say for local pickup only, that line can be the deal breaker!!:( Do some research and get some real world shipping prices, this will help sell the whole speaker system. Parting them out should be the last resort.