PDA

View Full Version : Polarity in a System

alonsoescudero
09-29-2007, 03:37 PM
Hi!

Polarity in a pair of speakers is easy to determine, but what about the polarity between the low and high freq drivers in the same speaker.

My question is about an altec 600´s, it has a color code in the cables from the crossover, But inside the High Freq cover, are two more cables, what is the wright polarity of the cables inside the cover, ?

Hope some one can help me

Alonso

boputnam
09-29-2007, 03:47 PM
¡Hola, Alonso...!

It varies. "Most" of the time, in a two-way cabinet the HF and LF are opposite, with the LF being positive and the HL negative. But, it really depends on the engineering.

I don't know the 600 myself - maybe you can post some pictures of "inside the HF cover" so we can see the wires? Or, please describe the wire coloring.

Typically, any wire that is black or has a black stripe is meant to connect to the BLACK terminal on the transducers.

alonsoescudero
09-29-2007, 04:47 PM
sorry, I think I was not as specific as needed,

I am reffering to an Altec 605-B Duplex wich has before the diaphragm, a metal cover where you plug the cables, but (inbside) from the cover to the diaphragm is another pair of cables, so how can I know these are Ok, in order to follow the color code marked in the crossover

boputnam
09-29-2007, 07:27 PM
..(inside) from the cover to the diaphragm is another pair of cables, so how can I know these are Ok, in order to follow the color code marked in the crossoverAh, that helps.

Please tell us what color, or how these cable are marked?

Also, the diaphragm should have a "+" marking, or maybe a red mark on one of the terminals - yes?

Any chance of pictures? :yes:

Altec pro, vintage (http://www.altecpro.com/products/vintage/index.htm)

Hoerninger
09-30-2007, 03:44 AM
... but what about the polarity between the low and high freq drivers in the same speaker.

Hi Alonso,

listen to a female voice - maybe singing - or Pink Noice (http://www.burninwave.com/download/pinknoise.wav). If the two speaker systems are wired differently you can easily switch between the two. Most of time you will hear which way is correct.