PDA

View Full Version : Why No Coaxials?

JSF13
09-29-2007, 07:40 AM
Just wondering. With the success Altec had with it's Duplex speaker line, and Tannoy with its Dual Concentric,and considering J.B.Lansing's background, why do you suppose JBL never considered developing a coaxial line of speakers? Or did they?

Joe

speakerdave
09-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Just wondering. With the success Altec had with it's Duplex speaker line, and Tannoy with its Dual Concentric,and considering J.B.Lansings background, why do you suppose JBL never considered developing a coaxial line of speakers? Or did they?

Joe

They did, but the ones meant for home hi fi were not directed at the top of the market. They also made and do make, I think, coaxials for distributed sound (ceiling speakers for PA and background music). Some experimenters have tried them for audio. I never heard any rave reviews. They lack bass, for one thing.

David

JSF13
09-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Thanks.:) I was thinking along the lines of 604's, 12" and 15" monitor golds and the like.

Titanium Dome
09-29-2007, 08:12 AM
Veering out of the home and into the garage or driveway, JBL does make a lot of coaxials and even triaxials for automotive applications. The biggest are 6x9 inch triaxials.

As I'm sure we all know, they are purpose built for the limitations encountered in vehicle installations. They sound okay if you stick them in an enclosure of some kind and play them in your garage or basement, but none of them will sound as good in the home as something like the coaxial IS8C from the Performance Series.

I believe the IS8C with its 8" Ti laminate woofer is the largest JBL consumer coaxial made (as well as the SS8C from the Performance Series, the L228C from the Studio L Series, and the LS328C with an Al cone from the Studio L Series).

They can be pretty amazing.

speakerdave
09-29-2007, 08:21 AM
Thanks.:) I was thinking along the lines of 604's, 12" and 15" monitor golds and the like.

Oh, yes, they put together a thing at the end of the UREI monitor lineage after JBL bought the company. RobH had some and he says it's an E145 with a 2425 mounted on the back. I'm curious about that one, myself; believe it could be seriously good with an aquaplased diaphragm, though you would want a subwoofer.

David

speakerdave
09-29-2007, 08:30 AM
The problem with a 15" coaxial is that the horn can't be big enough to go down to the woofer before it reaches cone breakup. At least that's the situation with the 604. A twelve might do it. I haven't heard them myself, but I understand in the world of Tannoy the 10" is the one that really carries it off. Put them with a VLF driver and you'd really have something, I think.

Tannoy has the design edge for horn size, I think, using the cone to load the treble, but I always thought there would have to be some intermodulation distortion being generated by that arrangement. I listened to a Tannoy red (or silver or black--I'm just going by the date) 15" long ago. It was my introduction to palpable realism for voice in speakers, but the guy had only one and I didn't buy it:(. I had:( a Jensen G610 back in the day. It had serious midrange coloration. I listened to Altec 604's for years; don't know how, I can't bear to have them on now. I'm keeping them only to try crossover tweeks on them eventually.

David

JSF13
09-29-2007, 09:06 AM
I hear that. I had some 604's many moons ago.:) Can't help thinking though that in better enclosures they would have sounded better.Like Stonehenge III or Model 17,or something.

My brother has a pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" in fairly large cabinets-Belvedere - and they sound pretty damn good if you've got the room for them. Need a big room.

CONVERGENCE
09-29-2007, 11:08 AM
I hear that. I had some 604's many moons ago.:) Can't help thinking though that in better enclosures they would have sounded better.Like Stonehenge III or Model 17,or something.

My brother has a pair of Tannoy Monitor Gold 15" in fairly large cabinets-Belvedere - and they sound pretty damn good if you've got the room for them. Need a big room.

They are excellent speakers . GPA still makes them they go for 700$ each.
AVATAR recording studio still uses them as Main monitors in Studio A BIG RED,B UREI and control room also.

Docspeakers
09-29-2007, 11:42 AM
The problem with a 15" coaxial is that the horn can't be big enough to go down to the woofer before it reaches cone breakup. David

It all depends, while I agree that its difficult for a larger cone to generate higher frequencies, a horn with a larger throat can handle some of the lower frequencies and make this transition easier... EV had a concept called extended response back in the 60's (not sure how this acutally worked), but their 15" 15 TRX's were superb, but these were triaxials. Which work well for the entire music spectrum and eliminate the need for bass support. I am sure anyone who has heard a pair of these will agree.

There are several other 12-15"ers that I'd recommend... if you care to PM me, I can tell you about them, since none of them are JBL/Altec related, so I'd rather not discuss them here..

There is a reason why most of the successful full range/coaxial drivers are 8", (Lowther, Stephen's Trusonic, Fostex etc.) but for those lacking bass its easy enough to re-inforce the lower frequencies with a subwoofer with a steep rolloff that blends well with the speakers you are using, Velodyne and HSU both come to mind..

As for what JBL made? Well they made an 8", 12" and a 14" coaxial/ I will be getting my hands on a pair of LE14C's in the next few days... I am not expecting something miraculous, as I know there will be a gap until the tweeter section kicks in, but I will enjoy playing with them nonetheless..

There is a current auction for a set of Stephen's Trusonic 15" 150CX coaxials on Ebay, these are SUPERB speakers in the right enclosure, wish I had the money.. maybe some of you here do, they are certainly worth taking a serious look at.. amoungst the best if not the best coaxial I have ever heard.

Mike Caldwell
09-29-2007, 12:26 PM
I have a pair of Tannoy 10 DMT series two studio monitors, they do sound very good. Nice image. lots of depth.

Mike Caldwell

speakerdave
09-29-2007, 01:00 PM
It all depends . . . .

Yeah, the earlier Altecs might be better; I've never had one. The cones are lighter.

. . . . EV had a concept called extended response back in the 60's (not sure how this acutally worked), but their 15" 15 TRX's were superb, but these were triaxials . . . .

Hmmm . . . JBL had some speakers they called extended Range--the D208, 131, 130 and 123. The EV TRX was a woofer, a whizzer cone and a small horn tweeter that I think was the equivalent of the T35. The only coaxial of their's I've heard was the 12TRXB, which was easy to leave behind. I have had some SP12's (non-B) with the integral paper surround that seem to carry well into the midrange. I was on the track of the fullrange grail at one time and still have some of the artifacts.

. . . . There are several other 12-15"ers that I'd recommend... if you care to PM me, I can tell you about them, since none of them are JBL/Altec related, so I'd rather not discuss them here . . . .

OK

. . . . As for what JBL made? Well they made an 8", 12" and a 14" coaxial . . . .

I don't remember the 8". The 12" is like a 123A with an LE20 and the 14" also uses the LE20.

. . . . I will be getting my hands on a pair of LE14C's in the next few days... I am not expecting something miraculous . . . .

You won't be disappointed.

. . . . There is a current auction for a set of Stephen's Trusonic 15" 150CX coaxials on Ebay, these are SUPERB speakers in the right enclosure, wish I had the money.. maybe some of you here do, they are certainly worth taking a serious look at.. amoungst the best if not the best coaxial I have ever heard.

You heard these? I've been curious about their 15" 150FR woofers. I still have my 80FR's and some 5CX's and have been thinking about putting together an all Trusonic system for 50's 60's sound. Fortunately I've so far been able to put off doing anything that nutty.

David

speakerdave
09-29-2007, 01:08 PM
I have a pair of Tannoy 10 DMT series two studio monitors, they do sound very good. Nice image. lots of depth . . . .

Yeah, I bet they really are quite nice. I've considered going that way often, but I have not finished cooking the JBL seed yet (getting closer).

David

MJC
09-29-2007, 01:44 PM
When I was using 3 L55s for the front speakers the center L55 was really a LE14c. That coax made a very good center channel.

Docspeakers
09-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Why not just find a factory Stephen's Trusonic system? While they are not well known by most collectors like JBL and Altec are, I KNOW that there are a bunch of serious collectors out there who have a lot of Stephen's speakers. Me being one of them... they were right on par with the best of the best during this era....

The 8" JBL I was referring to was the LE8T I think? It may have been a full range driver not a coax.. but I think its worthy to mention... I remember reading about it here in the past..

Have never heard the 12" or 14" coaxials from JBL.. and I do not recall the model number of the 12", there is an article on this site showing all 3 of them, maybe someone can post it..

Docspeakers
09-29-2007, 02:08 PM
You heard these? I've been curious about their 15" 150FR woofers. I still have my 80FR's and some 5CX's and have been thinking about putting together an all Trusonic system for 50's 60's sound. Fortunately I've so far been able to put off doing anything that nutty.

David

Yes I have, in a factory Stephen's Trusonic enclosure, they were spectacular... None of the wiped midrange issues that you'd expect.. Sold these many many years ago during a move and due to the wife not wanting me to take them with.

Were the 80FR's and 5CX's from the same system? If so, which one? You'll be pleasantly surprised by the performance of the 150FR woofers.

speakerdave
09-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Why not just find a factory Stephen's Trusonic system? . . . .

How were they configured? I actually have seen very few on the market, just pieces on ebay.

My 80FR's amd 5CX's were gathered separately.

David

Docspeakers
09-29-2007, 02:26 PM
I'm not sure what you are asking, they built speakers just like any other company.. 3-ways, 2-ways, etc.

I do not recall a system with the drivers you mentioned, which is why I was curious... Information on Stephen's speakers is nearly impossible to find, but I know of a few collectors that may be able to help you, I have only a couple of examples and have only owned maybe 8-10 of their speaker systems over the years, so my expertise is limited and I only have limited documentation as I've sold almost all of it off.

Be expected to pay top dollar as the examples that are left are hard to find and worth some money, mainly because no one wants to sell them.. but they are not as rare as one might think, just need to be wired with the right people/

Robh3606
09-29-2007, 03:45 PM
JBL made 2 coaxes under the UREI brand the 801 and 803. The 801 is an E145 with a 2425S and the 803 is a what looks like a 2214 with a 2416 on the back. I use an 801C as my center channel and it's one fine sounding driver. Vocals are very natural sounding through it.

Rob:)

Docspeakers
09-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Wow are those neat, more importantly, how do they sound??

Ian Mackenzie
09-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Rob,

Would make a nice centre channel me thinks:)

Ian

boputnam
09-29-2007, 04:11 PM
It all depends, while I agree that its difficult for a larger cone to generate higher frequencies, a horn with a larger throat can handle some of the lower frequencies and make this transition easier... L-Acoustics has some marvellous coaxials, in 8, 12 and 15-in woofers. I run both the 115XT and 115XT HiQ - these have astonishingly smooth response.

JSF13
09-29-2007, 04:21 PM
That's what I love about this hobby. You never stop learning.:D Look at these. Thanks guys.

http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/specs/pro-speakers/1995-urei-809/page1.jpg

scott fitlin
09-29-2007, 04:58 PM
L-Acoustics has some marvellous coaxials, in 8, 12 and 15-in woofers. I run both the 115XT and 115XT HiQ - these have astonishingly smooth response.L-Acoustics has marvelous everything!

I heard an L-Acoustics line array system, which I thought sounded REALLY good.

L-Acoustics is expensive, but, you get what you pay for.

:)

Docspeakers
09-29-2007, 07:25 PM
L-Acoustics are at the top of my list as well, I didn't know if it was ok to mention them, none of the transistional issues..

boputnam
09-29-2007, 07:49 PM
L-Acoustics is expensive, but, you get what you pay for.Yes, they are "fully priced", but as with Meyer, you get phenomenal long-term value. Every owner I know, is devout...

L-Acoustics are at the top of my list as well, I didn't know if it was ok to mention them, none of the transistional issues..Yea, it's fine. Matter of fact, it's good that JBL know (if anyone is watching...) that we are not myopic here. We have broad, varied and deep knowledge and experience, and respect things JBL Pro. :)

scott fitlin
09-29-2007, 09:11 PM
Yes, they are "fully priced", but as with Meyer, you get phenomenal long-term value. Every owner I know, is devout...

:)Thats always good to know, and they are known as an outstanding company.

Their double 18in direct radiating subs have been recommended to me a few times.

I have to agree, everyone I know that uses L-Acoustics is devout.

Mike Caldwell
09-30-2007, 04:37 PM
Another coaxial in the pro world is the Radian micro wedge. Never heard one but they get very good reviews from users. There in 8, 12 and 15 inch versions. EAW is going to start building the next generation micro wedge.

Mike Caldwell

UreiCollector
09-30-2007, 06:07 PM
Wow are those neat, more importantly, how do they sound??

The Urei's are fabulous sounding monitors! I will admit though, they do start to roll of a bit early on the high end, and the imaging isn't as good as other speaker I have heard, but they sure do make some serious SPL, and just sound wonderful.

I have to admit I'm a little biased, as we own at least 18 of them throughout the family.....

JSF13
09-30-2007, 07:12 PM
Anybody know anything about Vitavox?

Docspeakers
09-30-2007, 11:01 PM
Um, yes, what is your question about Vitavox?

OLDGEN
10-01-2007, 04:13 AM
I have to admit I'm a little biased, as we own at least 18 of them throughout the family.....[/QUOTE]

I am only the second:banghead:

JSF13
10-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Um, yes, what is your question about Vitavox?

Well to be a little more specific,has anyone here owned/heard them? How do they stack up to Tannoys? Are the built in crossovers worthy? Any info really.:)

glen
10-04-2007, 02:51 PM
As for what JBL made? Well they made an 8", 12" and a 14" coaxial/ I will be getting my hands on a pair of LE14C's in the next few days... I am not expecting something miraculous, as I know there will be a gap until the tweeter section kicks in, but I will enjoy playing with them nonetheless..

Although some manufacturers tried to represent speakers with whizzer cones as a kind of two-way I don't the "co-axial" description is meaningful unless you are talking about two separate drivers/motors mounted on axis in a single frame. So I wouldn't consider JBL's "extended range" drivers like the LE8s to be coaxials.

JBL only really offered two coaxials for home hi-fi use.

JBL introduced their 14 inch LE14C around 1962 as a "composite transducer" ("C" for "composite"?):
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1962/page08-09.jpg
This was the first use of the 14 inch basket frame.
Notice that the LE14A is not in the 1962 catalog and made it's appearance later than the LE14C. The LE20 was introduced around the same time, perhaps derived from the design of the LE14C?

The higher compliance suspension allowed this speaker to function well in a smaller cabinet (as small as 2 cubic ft.) ,a size much more suitable for the home environment than a cabinet with a 604 in it. Cabinet size, and the ease of placement (or difficulty) became more import when the LE14C was introduced because in the early 60s stereo was catching on.

The LE14C was still in the catalog in 1976, and the non-coaxial version (S12 system) lasted until 1979 as the LE14H/LE21H combination.
A highly evolved version of the 14 inch driver, the LE14H-3, is being used in JBL's new high-end Array home system.
http://www.jbl.com/array_series/specs.aspx

The 12 inch LE12C composite transducer appeared in the 1967 JBL catalog, using an LE20 derived tweeter crossed over at 3K, and was still in the components catalog as of 1976.
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1967/full-range.jpg

Much later, in the mid to late 90s, JBL introduced the 12 inch 2142H with a coaxial dome tweeter crossed over at 3K, and the higher powered 12 inch 2152H and 15 inch 2155H that used a 2416 compression driver on bi-radial horn. The 2152H crossed over to the horn at 1500Hz while 2155H with a larger horn crossed over at 1200Hz
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1998-pro/page35.jpg

These were intended for installed sound systems, not the home hi-fi customer or studio monitoring:
"In response to consultant and contractor requests, the
JBL 2152H was designed to perform well in the most
commonly-specified utility metal enclosure and baffle
combinations, despite the generally detrimental acoustical
properties of those enclosures. Custom-build boxes will
usually result in better peformance characteristics than
those published here."
They offer a high-power, wide-bandwith speaker in a single unit that would install as simply as a cheap single driver.

I have seen a few of these in the collections of Japanese hi-fi hobbyists, but only rarely as the main speakers, seems they are more of a curiosity or experiment.
B-Stock 2155s are still available in the JBL tent sale:
http://www.jblpro.com/commerce/tent_sale/catalog/index.php?cPath=23

Today there are smaller JBL coaxial drivers for installed sound, home theater and automotive applications:
http://www.jblpro.com/pages/install/cc_ceiling.htm
http://www.jbl.com/home/products/category.aspx?CatId=ISP&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA
http://www.jbl.com/car/products/category.aspx?CatId=MEL&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA

JSF13
10-04-2007, 03:36 PM
Thanks Glen. I did a search and found these.

http://cgi.ebay.pl/JBL-LE-14C-WOOFERS-PAIR-16OHM_W0QQitemZ270162938022QQihZ017QQcategoryZ5059 7QQcmdZViewItem

Not sure the guy knows what they are as they are simply referred to as woofers. But you can clearly see the screen in place of the dustcap,and both high and low frequency terminals.Wouldn't mind trying a pair if these.

UreiCollector
10-05-2007, 05:52 AM
I am only the second:banghead:

Sir, very impressive! May I call you Brother?

Nice collection, and nice to see that Dad and I are not the only Urei fanatics out here!

Ian Mackenzie
10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
I doubt if we'll see any 604 groupies raining on your parade.

Steve Schell gave me an interesting overview of the Iconic and just where the 604 fitted into the overall scheme of things while I was in Long Beach.

Don has also posted an excellent reference thread somewhere of all the trials and tribulations and comings and goings of the drivers used in the Urei "period".

Nice collections and nice cat too......

Ian Mackenzie
10-05-2007, 06:30 AM
I have to admit I'm a little biased, as we own at least 18 of them throughout the family.....

I am only the second:banghead:[/quote]

Class act.

Would love a hi res file for a print..

Ian

glen
10-05-2007, 11:41 PM
Oops, almost forgot the pro versions
http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/jbl/catalogs/1971-pro/page06.jpg

The LE12C was given the model number 2145 in the pro catalogs.

Instead of the LE14C the professional line's larger model 2150 was a full 15 inch D130ish woofer crossing over at 1200Hz to a concentric LE5 cone midrange:
http://www.jblpro.com/pub/obsolete/2150.pdf

This did not have the high compliance foam surround like the LE14C and required a full size 4 to 6 cu. ft. enclosure. Lack of a real tweeter limited high frequency extension but must have been a better match for the bigger, more efficient woofer to create
"...a highly efficient system which can produce a sound pressure
level greater than 100 dB at a drstance of 30 feet. Peak
free response permits greater gain before acoustic feedback."

Steve Schell
10-06-2007, 12:40 AM
In Jim Lansing's 1943 article "The Duplex Speaker", he chronicles the progressive downsizing of the Shearer Two Way Horn System to provide high quality sound in smaller spaces. The Shearer was of course an enormous theatre system that used a 375Hz. crossover point.

First step in the downsizing was the Lansing Monitor, with a 500Hz. crossover point which permitted a smaller high frequency horn. It used a folded W bin bass horn that was greatly reduced in size. It worked fine in small preview theatres, but was still a bit large for studio control rooms.

Next came the Iconic with its 800Hz. crossover, smaller high frequency horn and new small format high frequency driver. The desired size being too small to permit use of a bass horn, it used a six cubic foot bass reflex cabinet. It was a successful design featuring wide bandwidth, smooth response and compact size.

The final step in downsizing was the Duplex; the idea had been suggested to Altec in 1941. It combined the basic speaker elements of the Iconic mounted coaxially in a single compact chassis. Crossover point was moved upward once again to 1200Hz., and even higher later on. Most often the Duplex was installed in the Iconic's bass cabinet, now called the 612.

The Duplex in the 612 box became the most popular and long lived monitor speaker in history. It was hard to beat for monitoring in close quarters, and it became the standard for decades.

Some (like me!) might feel that for many uses the Duplex took the downsizing a bit too far. Placing the high frequency horn in the center of the woofer requires a small horn, which in turn requires a high crossover frequency, which in turn requires that the woofer cone be driven up into its breakup region. The Duplex drivers are fine speakers, but do not perform as well as the Iconic in an absolute sense. This was not lost on Altec, who continued to produce a variety of 800Hz. two way systems through nearly all the years of the Duplex drivers' popularity.

When Jim Lansing began JBL in late 1946, he soon began producing a two way speaker system that was reminiscent of the Iconic. It was two way, with high frequency compression driver and bass reflex cabinet of about six cubic feet. The high frequency horn was quite small though, and the crossover was a third order 1200Hz. design. So it seems that his development of the Duplex drivers while at Altec exerted some influence on his later work.

Zilch
10-06-2007, 12:34 PM
JBL documents the further tradeoffs between point source and power response here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4408

JSF13
10-08-2007, 07:26 AM
Excellent! Thanks Zilch. That is exactly what I was looking for.:applaud:

Joe

scott fitlin
10-10-2007, 12:50 PM
JBL documents the further tradeoffs between point source and power response here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=4408I know the flaws and tradeoffs with Coaxials, and yet? I still love single point source sound for their great and seamless image.

604,s on a medium power, warmish sounding amp, can sound great with a bit of EQ!

Zilch
10-10-2007, 01:44 PM
604,s on a medium power, warmish sounding amp, can sound great with a bit of EQ!A generous bit, apparently.... :p

00Robin
10-10-2007, 05:15 PM
I know the falws and tradeoffs with Coaxials, and yet? I still love single point source sound for their great and seamless image.

604,s on a medium power, warmish sounding amp, can sound great with a bit of EQ!
ummm,as uneducated as I am speaker-wise,I wholly agree about the 604c on a medium power warmish sounding amp. And I had to try three and they all sounded different,but with mine,the Pioneer SX60 WAS the one. It was AMAZING after the first two previous tries. I just knew it was THE sound for mine. But they are all different I believe,I really do. But I am NOT like these guys as far as knowing things. I just know what I want to hear and how I want what I hear to make me feel. When it happens,it is almost as close to nirvana as I may get. And I LOVE it. I honestly think I got very lucky with the find of mine,really, and the receiver. And the old DIY walnut cabinets I already had from the previous pair. I know NOTHING about any of these,just that I got lucky and it feels good. For a long time so far...

Zilch
10-10-2007, 05:33 PM
I'm sorry you deleted your post, Scotty, as it would have made for good discussion. I want to be clear that I'm not bashing anything, and certainly not belittling anyone's personal preference or taste.

Surely there is no harm in knowing the facts regarding what we all discuss here every day, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody has previously measured 604 performance and published it in these forums. My findings would seem consistent with opinions expressed by others regarding how they sound. It takes 10 dB of EQ to yank that peak between 2.2 and 6 kHz down.

Now, that's just my measurements of one pair of 604Bs, one of them newly refurbished. I don't know anything about how C, D, E, F, H, K, or L measure or sound, but I'd certainly like to see more objective information, (preferrably by others, :) ) with respect to how these vintage drivers actually perform.

I read the title of this thread, "Why No Coaxials?" and I believe I know why, but I'm certainly not averse to being shown that I am wrong....

scott fitlin
10-10-2007, 05:47 PM
I'm sorry you deleted your post, Scotty, as it would have made for good discussion. I want to be clear that I'm not bashing anything, and certainly not belittling anyone's personal preference or taste.

Surely there is no harm in knowing the facts regarding what we all discuss here every day, and to the best of my knowledge, nobody has previously measured 604 performance and published it in these forums. My findings would seem consistent with opinions expressed by others regarding how they sound. It takes 10 dB of EQ to yank that peak down.

Now, that's just my measurements of one pair of 604Bs, one of them just refurbished. I don't know anything about how C, D, E, F, H, K, or L measure or sound, but I'd certainly like to see more objective information, preferrably by others, with respect to how vintage drivers actually perform.

I read the title of this thread, "Why No Coaxials?" and I believe I know why, but I'm not averse to being shown that I am wrong....In my world, it isnt about being right or wrong. Its about what makes prerecorded music take on the life of the real performance. Or some facsimile of it.

See those 604,s? What EQ did you use? Thats very important too!

A K-T, or BSS might not be a total match sonically, yet try a pair of Whites, or a pair of urei EQ,s you might be surprised.

Of course, you cant mke perfect response from them either. They arent perfect, but throughout the years, i have found things i really like, and they arent perfect. Far from it.

I have also heard some extrewmely flat response speakers, with electroniocs that are as accurate as possible,and well, wasnt for me. I listen to music, I want to have fun with it, I want to rock the house, not analyze music, and all the flaws in gear. Thats just me.

Like I had said, last week changed my perception of modern JBL, Alan Sides of Ocean Way, horn loaded studio monitors JBL 2226, horn loaded cone mids, hf comp driver horn loaded, and JBL 2242 subs, Crest powered, old crowns, we were stunned. Thats how good it sounded. Crystal clear, DYNAMIC as HELL. But sweet, smooth, and crisp, yet explosive when required. Realistic sounding. heck, he had that 2226 going up to around 750 to 800hz, and it was all there, no lack of anything.

I found a new veiw of JBL today!

Conversely, I still love vintage stuff, with good recordings, too. When I hear what I like, I just accept it, I dont want to know every last detail about freq resp, BL factor, etc, anymoe, it takes the fun out of it.

Lets sit down, crack open a few beers, and listen to some tunes! :applaud:

JSF13
10-10-2007, 05:59 PM
Lets sit down, crack open a few beers, and listen to some tunes! :applaud:

You mean there's any other way?:D

Robh3606
10-10-2007, 06:15 PM
I read the title of this thread, "Why No Coaxials?" and I believe I know why, but I'm certainly not averse to being shown that I am wrong....

You need to try a JBL/Urei 801C used in the 811,813 and 815C monitors. Then you might be asking why not especially after you put some vocals or guitar through it.

My dad had an 604C and the midrange could be kinda spooky, very natural. I had a Jensen 501 coax and again very nice mids. I still have his 12" 601 and it has the same characteristic with a more extended high end. They may not measure that great but when they are set-up right they can sure make you smile.

Rob:)

scott fitlin
10-10-2007, 06:53 PM
My dad had an 604C and the midrange could be kinda spooky, very natural. I had a Jensen 501 coax and again very nice mids. I still have his 12" 601 and it has the same characteristic with a more extended high end. They may not measure that great but when they are set-up right they can sure make you smile.

Rob:)BINGO! You win, give this man a teddy bear of his choice!

:applaud:

pos
10-17-2007, 02:48 AM
Like I had said, last week changed my perception of modern JBL, Alan Sides of Ocean Way, horn loaded studio monitors JBL 2226, horn loaded cone mids, hf comp driver horn loaded, and JBL 2242 subs, Crest powered, old crowns, we were stunned. Thats how good it sounded. Crystal clear, DYNAMIC as HELL. But sweet, smooth, and crisp, yet explosive when required. Realistic sounding. heck, he had that 2226 going up to around 750 to 800hz, and it was all there, no lack of anything.

Scott,
This look very interesting !
I would really like to know more about these custom JBL studio monitors (and others custom jbl monitors used in studios).
do you have photos of these?
This is OT here, but I would really appreciate if you could open a thread about these :bouncy:

EDIT: I will open one, please post your comments (and photos if you have) of these monitors in it