PDA

View Full Version : Questions about 4645 boxes (2245h speaker)

mojopin
09-27-2007, 11:36 PM
hello!

I have been reading on this site and have already read much about what I have. I acquired four of these at an auction for 100$! They went super cheap because the foam was falling off but I knew better. Anyhow, my foam kits are in the mail and I am deciding what to do next. After reading about the advantages of putting one in each corner I am considering doing just that. Why not? Besides literally bringing the house down :)

Ok..so my question is what do you guys recommend for an amp or amps? How much power do I really need? The loudest I will play will probably be around 90db -100db spl at the most and crossed over around 75hz.

A friend of mine has a qsc amp that he is willing to sell me for cheap but I do not know the model number. Maybe I can buy another of the same kind.

I may have some more questions soon but any comments or questions for me are appreciated.

Thanks!

Don Mascali
09-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Check your drivers. The 2245's have accordian (Pleated Paper) surrounds. :(

I use 700 watts per channel on my pair of 4645C's... Mo' power, Mo' better. They will take what ever you can throw at them in a home environment. I run mine from 100HZ down with no low filter in a home theater/music setup. They really need some watts to do well.

johnaec
09-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Check your drivers. The 2245's have accordian (Pleated Paper) surrounds. :(??? 2245's have foam surrounds - only the other 224X have pleated surrounds.

John

mojopin
09-28-2007, 07:29 PM
I was wondering about the pleated surrounds. I have actually never seen that on a speaker. But yes, these have some foam left here and there :)

I guess the answer is to use as much power as I can afford. Anyone, see any problems in running these in parallel off one amp. That would make the load 4ohm correct? That would still mean a very beefy amp.

Thanks

hjames
09-28-2007, 07:38 PM
I was wondering about the pleated surrounds. I have actually never seen that on a speaker. But yes, these have some foam left here and there :)

I guess the answer is to use as much power as I can afford. Anyone, see any problems in running these in parallel off one amp. That would make the load 4ohm correct? That would still mean a very beefy amp.

Thanks

What - 4 on an amp? do you mean like a pair on each channel?

I'd think thats pushing it too far - I run my B380 on a bridged amp that puts out 600w/mono peaks ... I might put a pair on that, but I think you'd need a matched amp to run a second pair.

But first - considering you already have the speakers, I'd run a pair on your high powered amp and see what it sounds like ...

John
09-28-2007, 07:42 PM
Don't do anything till you get the 2245,s refoamed.:scold:

mojopin
09-28-2007, 08:24 PM
No, I don't plan on buying anything yet but I am just looking into it. The yamaha p7000s looks promising. I would still be tempted to try and hook them all up. I should probably only do this on an amp that can handle a 2ohm load though which this one can't. However, the cool thing about them is that it has a built-in adjustable low-pass filter. :applaud: That saves me money on the crossover I was going to have to get! Anybody, know of other amps that have that feature?

Thanks for feedback everyone.

Don Mascali
09-28-2007, 09:48 PM
My apologies. I had my mind wrapped around the 2242's in mine. Of course the 2245's have foam.:blink: