PDA

View Full Version : 2405

delahais
02-25-2004, 09:13 AM
Hi ,
Can someone tell me if there is a difference of brillance between 2405(16-077 alnico) and the 2405H ferrite ?
Thanks.

Maron Horonzakz
02-26-2004, 06:58 AM
No

Tom Loizeaux
03-01-2004, 06:33 AM
No...but some feel the ferrite magnet drivers are a tiny bit harsher (some may use the word "crisper"). Sometimes this is considered desirable in cone drivers but is sometimes considered less desireable in HF drivers. It's really a matter of taste.

Tom

Maron Horonzakz
03-01-2004, 07:13 AM
But the voicecoil does not pass through the the magnet....EXPLANE

speakerdave
03-01-2004, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
But the voicecoil does not pass through the the magnet....EXPLANE
If you use the search button in the upper right of the screen and do a search on "alnico" you will turn up extensive discussion of this subject, some of which is authoritative. It is too complex to try to reproduce here. Warning--there will be many threads to pick through. "Flux" or "flux modulation" might work better.

David

Maron Horonzakz
03-01-2004, 09:59 AM
Speakerdave.......Ive done the search on "alnico" " ferrite" " flux" And found none to be conclusive. Since voice coil passes only through flux jumping across top plate & pole piece I cant see why type of magnet itself alnico, ferrite. strontium, neodymium gives any audio flaver. Parhaps only strength of flux in gap varies? I rember some engineers at JBL preferring ferrite over alnico (tweeters) It seem only audio tests were done. I guess no instrument as yet can confirm this.

Mr. Widget
03-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Using 2405/077s above 10KHz I can tell no difference between the ferrite and alnico versions. I have compared them and determined that for my use ferrite is a bargain as they sell for significantly less on the used collector market.

Now if the item is to be left on a shelf and kept as a piece of sculpture I definitely prefer the alnico 077!

Widget

4313B
03-01-2004, 12:05 PM
Ditto

maxjax
03-01-2004, 12:47 PM
So just to clarify for us newbies..

All 077's were Alnico
2405's were Alnico
and 2405H's were ferrite?

Mr. Widget
03-01-2004, 01:06 PM
Yep.

speakerdave
03-01-2004, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by Maron Horonzakz
Speakerdave.......Ive done the search on "alnico" " ferrite" " flux" And found none to be conclusive. Since voice coil passes only through flux jumping across top plate & pole piece I cant see why type of magnet itself alnico, ferrite. strontium, neodymium gives any audio flaver. Parhaps only strength of flux in gap varies? I rember some engineers at JBL preferring ferrite over alnico (tweeters) It seem only audio tests were done. I guess no instrument as yet can confirm this.

First, I basically agree with the idea that there is no difference until you hear it. I have not AB'd the drivers in question, so I'm not saying anything about that. You asked a question about what the differences between types of magnets might be.

Don't know exactly what you are looking for. I was not suggesting there would be a specific answer to your question about which to prefer--just information you could evaluate and factor in as you choose.

The discussion was about woofers mostly. I know shorting rings have been installed on some mid-drivers, but am not aware of any of this engineering on the 2405.

Here's the URL. There is a long post by Don about half-way down the second page.

Enjoy.

David

http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=790&perpage=15&highlight=flux%20modulation&pagenumber=2

Maron Horonzakz
03-02-2004, 07:26 AM
SpeakerDave.......Thank you for pointing me in the right direction & answering my stupid questions. I remember on this FORUM . Someone was going to HOT ROD (over gauss) one of their HF drivers ( 2441 I think) by about 15 or 20 percent. And get back to this forum with results. It sounded interesting I wonder if it was ever done. Or the idea just tossed aside.

speakerdave
03-02-2004, 08:27 AM
Not a stupid question.

The tantalizing thing about audio is that it operates in that border realm where we are finding correlations between our subjective experience and experimental data.

In the process we hear what others have said about their experience and of course we want to know about that. I think that's what we are all doing on this forum.

David