PDA

View Full Version : DIY 2 ways

justbe
09-25-2007, 11:49 PM
Greetings,

If you have to do it all over again, what would you build.

I need some recommendation/guide to build a 2 ways speakers with 15" LF and a horn/compression driver. My listening room is 18' x 16'. I have a budget of up to $1000.

I listen to lot of jazz, instrumental acoustic guitar, blues, etc....

Thanks in advance.

timc
09-25-2007, 11:54 PM
Might be hard to do that on a $1000 budget. I live in Norway so i dont have a very good idea of prices in the US so i might be way off.

But check out the Usher 15" at partsexpress.com. That unit is affordable and "linear" seems to be happy with his.

Check out : http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=12390&highlight=m9500

-Tim

justbe
09-26-2007, 12:22 AM
Timc.

Yeah, I realized that $1000 may not be much for a nice speakers system hence I'm looking for simple 2 ways. That system "linear" has sure are nice. Thanks for the link.

Justbe

timc
09-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Here is the 15" driver. On sale atm, so great value for money. IF it suits your needs.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=296-630

-Tim

yggdrasil
09-26-2007, 01:17 AM
You will have (more than) a fair chance of getting the needed drivers and crossover parts for a 4430 clone within your budget limits.

i.e. 2235 woofers, 2425 compression driver and a suitable horn.

Zilch has done a lot of researching on this topic. Search and enjoy.

justbe
09-26-2007, 02:40 AM
Timc, thanks for the pointer. Mainly I am looking for a complete project instead of just a couple of woofers as I would not know which woofers would match well with what horns/drivers.

yggdrasil, I found the thread but there are 452 replied. http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9745 - will take me a while to find what drivers would work best, schematics, etc.... Thanks.

stephane RAME
09-26-2007, 04:09 AM
:barf:

Hello,
In the same order of idea, that is to say one 15 inches and a compression of 1 or 2 inch, but with high speaker of an other mark that JBL, to see the bonds:http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=11750&highlight=great+plains+audio

I have have during 14 years of the JBL 4430, these new enclosures with high speaker GREAT PLAIN AUDIO sound much more definite for the type of music than listened to you, the only regret it goes down less low in the low register.

Good reading.

Stéphane

4313B
09-26-2007, 08:13 AM
Zilch has done a lot of researching on this topic. Search and enjoy.I'm sure he will be along presently to guide you with your project. I know there are some affordable waveguides and compression drivers out there and you might be able to get some decent woofers off eBay or from a reconer. It used to be quite possible to build a pair of 4430's on that kind of a budget but then eBay and the Internet kind of ruined that.

Nice link Stéphane!

justbe
09-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Thanks Stéphane, unfortunately your setup will probably be a little more than I can afford.

I will be waiting patiently Giskard. I saw some highly recommend $10 jbl waveguide from Zilch from various thread. The thing is I just dont want to buy a waveguide here, a horn driver there, a woofer, and have no idea what to do with them. I can follow instruction to put things together but have no experience designing things (yet.)

4313B
09-26-2007, 09:21 AM
I've suggested to Zilch before that he should come up with some "packages" for projects that he and his friends in the greater S.F. area have tried. To this day I still don't know what the whole Q&D 4430 stuff was about other than that the title irritated me to no end (I considered it disrespectful to a few guys at JBL, although I never asked them point blank what they thought of it, and antithesis to everything JBL stood for). I'm certainly not going to slog through thousands of pages of forum blog to figure it all out. I do know that there is no such thing as a Q&D 4430 in our world, maybe there is on other Internet forums. If he could give you a quick synopsis of what he thought worked and had other members audition with positive response then that could be helpful to you. :yes:

I'd really like to see alot of other project suggestions from other people and hopefully you will get some. :)

timc
09-26-2007, 09:37 AM
Hi.

It will break your budget, but im currently trying to piece together a 2 way system. Im going with the LE14H-1 and 2435HPL's.

Will take a few months to get it up and running due to lack of funds, so I'm gonna try to pair it with the woofer in my L65's for starters.

I guess you could make somthing like this for about $1500 maybe. I see you can get used 2435's for about $500.

-Tim

Earl K
09-26-2007, 10:39 AM
I need some recommendation/guide to build a 2 ways speakers with 15" LF and a horn/compression driver. My listening room is 18' x 16'. I have a budget of up to $1000.

- Off the top of my head I'd suggest you offer JackGiff the $1000.00 for his latest creation ( though I don't know if he wants to sell at this time ). This "Zilch" inspired creation uses refoamed le14a(s), housed in an Altec Santana gen-1 enclosure ( @ 3 cu' ), with the HF coming from a BMS driver mounted to the cheapie JBL wavequide ). ( I would have preferred to see a GPA 902 driver used / but this wasn't my project. )
- If the location of "Macaron" is anywhere nearby to Jacks' / this would be your most expediant approach.
- Do a search for threads started by Jackgiff to find out about this creation .

:)

Zilch
09-26-2007, 02:38 PM
Q&D is somewhat more manageable from the Table of Contents here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9901

toddalin
09-26-2007, 04:58 PM
There's been a pair of 4430s on LA C/L for the longest time for $999. But it says woofers need reconing. Looks like simple refoaming on the one in the pic.

http://images.craigslist.org/01020301040501030520070919b5b64f5f8a66dfe7ab00b25e .jpg

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/msg/426324402.html

speakerdave
09-26-2007, 05:27 PM
Thanks Stéphane, unfortunately your setup will probably be a little more than I can afford.

I will be waiting patiently Giskard. I saw some highly recommend $10 jbl waveguide from Zilch from various thread. The thing is I just dont want to buy a waveguide here, a horn driver there, a woofer, and have no idea what to do with them. I can follow instruction to put things together but have no experience designing things (yet.)

This plaintive appeal is starting to smell a little bit like a riff to me. Some of your responders have already put more energy into this project than you apparently have. Personally, I've been down this road before. You have all the marks of some one who is looking for short order custom speaker design, but who is also impossible to please because of unrealistic expectations and very narrow ideas about how much good speakers should cost. You have a budget-- is it based on anything related to the project itself? How much to build the cabinets? How much for woofers, how much for horns and drivers? How much for custom crossovers? What makes you think your stated parameters are at all reasonable? Do you want someone to do your shopping for you? Frankly, I wonder if you've posted your question for the entertainment value of watching someone try to answer it.

Try studying this entire forum. Read the library. Study the ebay marketplace. If you are not willing to do those things, then you should not be thinking of building custom speakers of the kind you describe. Most of the rest of us have done these things, and we would not find it easy to fill your "order." The only site I know where packages have been worked out using available new high quality drivers and horns is Pi speakers. You might find it interesting to look at that site, but I do not think your budget will work there.

Todd has the right idea. Try buying some used speakers. The models you may get within your budget that seem to fit your stated interest are Altec Valencias, the JBL 4430's that have been mentioned. Sometimes Altec coaxials can be had for that money. I'm sure there are other possibilities that are not coming to mind. A bit of luck in scrounging for used stuff, of course, opens up many other options.

David

justbe
09-26-2007, 06:37 PM
David or SpeakerDave,

"This plaintive appeal is starting to smell a little bit like a riff to me."

I am sorry I asked the question then. Thanks.

speakerdave
09-26-2007, 11:46 PM
David or SpeakerDave,

"This plaintive appeal is starting to smell a little bit like a riff to me."

I am sorry I asked the question then. Thanks.

Well, the problem is the real difficulty of what you ask. First of all, of all the possible combinations and permuations of equipment out there, there are no two that sound exactly alike, there is no way of anticipating exactly how a new combination will sound, and no one has any idea of what YOU are going to like.

Your restricted budget makes it difficult in a direct sense, but also it seems like it is an all or nothing proposition. The first attempt must work, and that makes what I've just said above all the more important. Most of us are into this as a hobby in which we willingly buy and try different things, sometimes just to see what they sound like, all directed to only our own satisfaction. We don't all agree on what sounds good, and, again, we would have no idea what would sound good to you.

The most difficult part is the crossover. A crossover for a new combination of components cannot be designed in absentia. Very few can really do it anyway, and I'm not one.

That means that the only real options are: 1) assembling the components of an already-engineered combination like the Altec and JBL systems of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's--information about these can be found in the library; 2) copying someone else's experiment exactly--you may find something interesting in these threads; 3) buying a used speaker.

The most difficult piece of the old JBL and Altec systems to find can be the crossover. Some of these can be copied from the schematics and some cannot because of special parts that are no longer available. In any case, this is all old technology. The newer stuff is better, in general.

If you are willing to biamp, that can be a solution for some of the JBL systems using the 523X family of electronic crossovers and the appropriate cards.

If you have looked at the Pi site and are considering going that way, I have to tell you that I've gone and looked at it too and have hesitations about recommending anything I saw there for home hi fi.

Again, the best, easiest and safest entre to this hobby is to find an affordable old speaker or assemble a combination of components that has already been engineered to work together.

If you get interested in going in a specific experimental direction and have some questions, I'm sure you can find help in these pages if you are willing to try again.

David

timc
09-27-2007, 02:30 AM
Hi again.

If you'r not completely locked to the 15"/horn idea. you could check out the ProAc 2.5 clones. There are lots of material on theese out there.

A friend of mine have built them and they do sound good. Not 15" slam and horn dynamics, but very decent for the cost of building. His clones landed at about $1200. All parts new.

Main drawback with them is that they need a bit of power before the come to life, but with his ML no.23 that ain't a problem :D

-Tim

justbe
09-27-2007, 03:55 AM
David,

All I am asking is for a DIY 2 ways that has been done successfully and sounding good so I can duplicate that design - that's all. To define good is quite hard as when it come to taste, it's a subjective matter. However, I am a big fan of JBL as most of JBL speakers that I've heard sound very natural to my tin ears as I have L166 and L80T3 but they are not horns and I have an itch to try horns. Anyhow, thank you everyone for the helps.

hjames
09-27-2007, 03:59 AM
David,

All I am asking is for a DIY 2 ways that has been done successfully and sounding good so I can duplicate that design - that's all. To define good is quite hard as when it come to taste, it's a subjective matter. However, I am a big fan of JBL as most of JBL speakers that I've heard sound very natural to my tin ears as I have L166 and L80T3 but they are not horns and I have an itch to try horns. Anyhow, thank you everyone for the helps.

So what's your budget for such a thing?

I know when I was working through collecting and testing to build my 4320s into 4 ways, I had very specific dollar amounts I was willing to put into the project. I finally decided to replace my DIY 4-ways with factory speakers, but knowing what you are willing to put into DIYs is an important design constraint.

justbe
09-27-2007, 04:10 AM
hjames, my budget is $1000 as i mentioned in the beginning. Anyhow, i've lost my interest after the insult so thanks everyone for helping...........

hjames
09-27-2007, 04:59 AM
hjames, my budget is $1000 as i mentioned in the beginning. Anyhow, i've lost my interest after the insult so thanks everyone for helping...........

Whatever.
My first big JBLs were a pair of 4320 Monitors in somewhat ugly (varnished) cabinets - but they played ok ...
2215 woofers and LE85/2420 driver/horn/lens combo (a pro L200, basically)
I got them for $300 and a road trip to Philly (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=9273).
(You could do a lot worse than grab something like that as a starter kit ...)

I added slot tweeters and built crossovers for them, based on circuits Giskard posted here, and turned them into 3 ways. Later on I got a pair of mid-bass drivers and gear for biAmping and upgraded them into 4-ways. All that time I educated my ears and my tastes. All that time I read posts here, searched through different threads, read everything I could find from Giskard, Ian, Zilch and a number of other folks who have been VERY open sharing their knowledge with the readers here.

This is a huge site, there is a heck of a lot of information here - its really up to you to take time and read and search and figure it out. Folks will help - but a lot of stuff has been asked repeatedly and sometimes the gurus just get tired of repeating themselves.

Russellc
09-27-2007, 06:27 AM
Justbe, dont take it so personal. It happens to all once in a while, it just that this has been covered quite a few times. There a several threads, the infamous Q&D and a few others which are refered to in them, both "part one and part two" and a few other threads. Zilch is responsible for a lot of them, and I assure you your answers are buried in those posts. I have spent hours reading them and putting it all together, and have myself been told to search. When you cant figure something out, PM the author for clarification. Its not as easy as someone handing you a "recipe"
but you will learn all sorts of valuable info on your build. This is what its about! Dig in!

The threads shown have all the answers for several systems, RTA measurements and so forth. These show crossovers, both JBL original as well as clones, mods and so forth. The 4430 is well covered and sounds right up your alley. find some cheap 2225H that need reconeing, I have seen them as cheap as 75 for the pair. Then, when money allows, they recone perfectly into 2235H for about 190 apiece or so. I have bought many 2425H for 200 a pair in great condition. The clone crossover covered by zilch even has a parts list, and I have recently verified all are still available. Look at Macaroni's "back yard box build" and "back yard box build the build" and get to sawing. The info IS all here, no better place for this type of info, but you have to read.

If it is JBL and plans you want, Go to the Pi speakers site, but with the caveats Provided. Otherwise, wait for a bargain on 4430 or L200.

Russellc

speakerdave
09-27-2007, 07:16 AM
. . . . All I am asking is for a DIY 2 ways that has been done successfully and sounding good so I can duplicate that design - that's all. . . .

"Ah. Therein lies the rub."--Old Will

If you are still interested in pursuing this I would suggest you get a box of NO DOZ and several canteens of water and read the Q and D thread.

David

4313B
09-27-2007, 07:59 AM
Just clone a pair of 4425's or 4430's and enjoy them. That way you end up with a project that is based on serious talent.

ChopsMX5
09-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Hmm... I didn't see any insults made, just valid points.

There has to be a lot of variables considered before just building a loudspeaker. Cost of components, building materials, physical size of the end product, the amount of space available in your room, the frequency range you want it to cover, etc, etc. Most of these subjects have already been discussed in this thread alone, not to mention all of the other threads on this forum.

If you're serious about this project, and want something that you are going to be happy with, then you need to apply a lot more thought process and effort into research than you have displayed so far, because as it stands, it doesn't sound like you're too serious about the whole thing yet.

Take me for instance. I have been planning on building a large 2-way MTM design for the last 3-4 months now and still haven't started building yet. Heck, just the other day, I finally decided on the bass enclosure sizes and tuning frequency for this project (8.35cf tuned to 26Hz x FOUR seperate enclosures). My project is inspired by the JBL K2-S9500/M9500 but designed closer to the Usher D2.

Through plenty of research and many questions later, I have had to make changes and compromises here and there, but in the end should have some really nice results.

And as a side note, $1000 might be cutting it a bit short for a "built from scratch" project. As it stands, for my project, I have already spent almost $800 just on four Usher 15" drivers, a dozen silver satin binding posts and eight 4" Precision ports. That doesn't include the Altec 511B horns and 902-8 drivers that I bought a couple years ago (about $450 total give or take a few bucks) that I'll be using in this project. Nor does it include the price of the building materials, probably another $150-200 on .75" MDF and birch plywood, screws, glue and silicone. That's a grand total of nearly $1500 for my project. But you know what, $1500 is a small price to pay to get sound quality hopefully somewhere in the neighorhood of the $19k Usher D2 system, or JBL's $30k K2 system.

Eventhough you are planning on a simple 2 driver 2-way design and want to use actual JBL components, plus building custom crossover networks, expect to pay at least the amount I have, if not more.

Anyway, just my 2 cents.

Zilch
09-27-2007, 12:01 PM
My most recent "economy" two-ways are shown @ #9 here:

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17069

I'm also using that combination in S99 towers, presently under construction.

Jackgiff used it in his Santiagos, with apparent success.

John W, also, in his uber-cool quasi trapezoids with 2344A horns, and most recently, with H9800 clones.

Hamilton with 2342 horns.

All documented in these forums.

And a couple of other guys here locally, presently.

That's my problem with responding to this question. It's all too much fun:

justbe
09-27-2007, 01:37 PM
ChopsMX5, you should have seen the original message that "speakerdave" posted which accusing me of things. I think the moderator deleted it or by someone.

I've had some experience with DIY and they all turned sour as I dont know how to design or calculate crossovers using T/S. Much frustrated not to mention wasting lot of time and money. That's why I just want to clone a successful design with the limited budget that I have. As a music lover, I'd rather build something and spend more time enjoying music than experiment or tweaking things around. Yes, I am serious about build ing speakers to impress my friends and myself especially - up to a point as I have my own pride; Yes, I am stupid when it comes to these things. However I dont need craps anymore than I've already had, I have enough pressure/stress from work and from the wife at home about this hobby. Listen to music and read about audio is a mean for me to get relieved - not insult

I will just wait for opportunity to buy some nice used horn JBL speakers that
come along in my area.

As I said earlier, thank you for all of your helps.

Ian Mackenzie
09-27-2007, 02:43 PM
David,

Hope this thread has been some sort of education.

I dont think anyone here is out to give you a hard time. its just that there is one hell of a difference between posting a few lines and creating a horn system you desire for the price you want to pay.

Unfortunately most of the sub $1000 sound like absolute crap.

Secondly this is not a quick answer type of thing at all. Most people evolve what they do over a period of years.

My first and last suggestion would be a 2235H woofer / 2425/2344a/ 3134 crossover ie a 4430

I agree with Giskard sme canned kits out of Zilchs efforts would be quite industrious.

jackgiff
09-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Jackgiff used it in his Santiagos, with apparent success.

Hi Zilch. The Altec cabinets I used were Santanas, not Santiagos. In fact, they turned out so good that I have acquired another pair of them, which I should have by tomorrow. I will try them with Trusonic parts, which were my original intention before you turned me into an LE14 freak. I will end up with a spare pair of LE14As should the Trusonics not impress.

The Santana two ways are sonically very satisfying, and were not only fun to build, but would probably make justbe quite happy. Unfortunately, they are definitely not for sale. I can furnish PC boards for the crossovers and compensation filters, but even getting cabinets free, my cost was higher than his target of $1,000. I am very glad I built them, though.

Earl K
09-27-2007, 05:52 PM
snip,,,,,,,,,,,snip The Altec cabinets I used were Santanas, not Santiagos. In fact, they turned out so good that I have acquired another pair of them, ,,,,snip,,,,,, I will try them with Trusonic parts, which were my original intention before you turned me into an LE14 freak. ;),,,,, snip ,,,,,,,,,,
The Santana two ways are sonically very satisfying, and were not only fun to build, but would probably make justbe quite happy.

- Yeh, I agree that something patterned on the le14 is the way to go for an economical 2-way. It's essentially an update on the S101 .
- Many of us here love these aquaplased, le14 variants.

Unfortunately, they are definitely not for sale.

- I'm not surprised that you've decided they're keepers.

I can furnish PC boards for the crossovers and compensation filters, but even getting cabinets free, my cost was higher than his target of $1,000. I am very glad I built them, though.

- Yeh, it'll take some time for these facts of life to sink in to those used to P.E. style pricing, etc..
- The switch to a "higher-quality" reality doesn't happen overnight ( if at all ) and still takes a fair amount of immersion time in this Lansing bathing pool ( before the indelible dye is cast ) .

:)

00Robin
09-27-2007, 06:19 PM
Zilch,I'd LOVE to get a hold of those carpeted things with casters on them for my cabinets....I mean LOVE to. I'm not as strong as I was after the front ender total job I did this summer...air bags and seat belts save lives,but they messed ME UP BAD,I'm still mending,expensively..Thank GOD for full coverage State Farm Insurance...I just wish they'd buy me some more vintage equipment!
I know,just make them...then I need some do-it-guy...I guess I'd have to so they set in them to fit right,huh?:blah::blah::biting::banghead::banghead:

hjames
09-27-2007, 06:34 PM
Zilch,I'd LOVE to get a hold of those carpeted things with casters on them for my cabinets....I mean LOVE to. I'm not as strong as I was after the front ender total job I did this summer...air bags and seat belts save lives,but they messed ME UP BAD,I'm still mending,expensively..Thank GOD for full coverage State Farm Insurance...I just wish they'd buy me some more vintage equipment!
I know,just make them...then I need some do-it-guy...I guess I'd have to so they set in them to fit right,huh?:blah::blah::biting::banghead::banghead:

Carpet Dollys are from Home Despot and around $20 each ...

... Save the whales - collect the whole set ...

00Robin
09-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Carpet Dollys are from Home Despot and around $20 each ...

... Save the whales - collect the whole set ...

okay..gotcha. Thanks.

Zilch
09-27-2007, 06:50 PM
Hi Zilch. The Altec cabinets I used were Santanas, not Santiagos.Seville, Santiago, Santana, Madrid, Malibu, Murano, Valencia, Bolero -- I need a reference chart for Altecs; I am clueless. :banghead:

:D

Anyhow, i've lost my interest after the insult so thanks everyone for helping...........Gotta be tough to do this, and dedicated.

You already know it ain't about throwing some drivers in a box.

Where is Macaron?

I agree with Giskard some canned kits out of Zilchs efforts would be quite industrious.I'm thinking a forum collaborative two-way project thread might produce a worthy result. Enough of us have built them in the last two years.

There's already a special forum section in place for this purpose. We merely need to petition for it to be opened up for the project. It's titled "Member Projects." That'd be us... :thmbsup:

As Earl suggests, LE14 might be the logical woofer, the "Budget" version using LE14A, which could be upgraded to one of the premium variants at any time.... :yes:

jackgiff
09-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I'm thinking a forum collaborative two-way project thread might produce a worthy result. Enough of us have built them in the last two years.

There's already a special forum section in place for this purpose. We merely need to petition for it to be opened up for the project.

As Earl suggests, LE14 might be the logical woofer, the "Budget" version using LE14A, which could be upgraded to one of the premium variants at any time.... :yes:

I agree totally. The LE14A is so available, and they can be had very cheaply if you are in no hurry. Almost any original pair will need to be refoamed, but Rick Cobbs foam kits are very affordable, and if I can do three pairs of them with no problems, virtually anyone can do them. HF drivers and horns can be the only real problem areas, along with crossovers and compensation networks to suit. But the results are so spectacular, that they are definitely worth doing.

When I built my L200 pair of DIY 4430's, it was difficult to pick out which set of parts to use. After reading the Q&D thread several times (which took hours), I finally PM'ed you for advice if my choice was correct. With your help, I ended up with a pair of speakers which would be my "keepers" if only one pair was allowed. The Santanas are a very close second, and cost was less. Both pairs are in my upstairs office/library area and both are not going anywhere anytime soon.

If such a thread was done with the LE14 woofers as a starting point, and several HF drivers/horns were considered as "the formula", the thread could be much simpler than the Q&D thread, which caused at least one senior member to tremble, and state his objections in many cases. And JBL makes several HF drivers and horns/waveguides that would give a new speaker builder/designer a chance to tell his friends, "I built these speakers myself."

My personal vote would be for "Let's do it!" But the thread must not go so far as to be an "I'll measure anything" thread. If it was decided that maybe three or four two way kits was the optimum, lets limit it to that. You have enough knowledge at this point to recommend the HF drivers for several kits, and then the members that were interested in following the thread could add their thought. Maybe several kit formulas would rear their heads, and the answers to questions like the one asked by justbe could be a simple "look here."

Worth a thought? I truly love two ways, but there is always more than one way to skin a cat. And if the DIY forum won't tolerate such a thread, then why is the DIY forum part of the Lansing Heritage site?

stephane RAME
09-27-2007, 09:56 PM
http://stores.ebay.com/Great-Plains-Audio

:applaud:

4313B
09-27-2007, 11:03 PM
There's already a special forum section in place for this purpose. We merely need to petition for it to be opened up for the project. It's titled "Member Projects." That'd be us... :thmbsup:No there isn't. That section was created specifically for finished projects. A member submits the documentation of their completed project and it is posted in that section by a moderator. It is not just another section for certain members to blog their days away in. There is already a project intended to "open" that section up as an example.

And if the DIY forum won't tolerate such a thread, then why is the DIY forum part of the Lansing Heritage site?That's what the DIY forum was created for. There are several really good member projects as examples.

Zilch
09-27-2007, 11:58 PM
That section was created specifically for finished projects. A member submits the documentation of their completed project and it is posted in that section by a moderator.

That's what the DIY forum was created for. There are several really good member projects as examples.

I'd be good if said really good member projects were moved to the "Member Projects" section, 'cause nobody'll ever find them otherwise.

Seems I'm unclear on the concept ... again.... :blink:

4313B
09-28-2007, 12:22 AM
I'd be good if said really good member projects were moved to the "Member Projects" section, 'cause nobody'll ever find them otherwise.It just isn't something that needs to be done right this minute. There is a project in the works that will open that section.
Seems I'm unclear on the concept ... again.... :blink:One project that might clear it up would be Bo's early 4345 measurements or his refoam thread. With some editing those would be examples of the kinds of text with pictures that would end up in a highlighted section. I recall an L100 project and a few John W projects that, with editing, would end up in the Member Projects section. Riessen has a bunch, Guido has a few, richluvsound has a few, I think Heather has one, I think you helped Hamilton with one, etc. I probably shouldn't have asked Don to create that section just yet since it is obviously causing a problem now. It has proven a bit premature due to other commitments.

Why don't you guys just collaborate on a feasable project or two in a new thread with an approriate title as jackgiff suggested.

Zilch
09-28-2007, 01:25 AM
Why don't you guys just collaborate on a feasable project or two in a new thread with an approriate title as jackgiff suggested.Will you help us? :)

4313B
09-28-2007, 07:26 AM
Will you help us? :)I'm buried up to my forehead in this stuff. I can try to give some time, it just depends on how much. I'm seriously considering asking riessen for help with some aspects of various projects. Let's all just outsource to each other. :p

Zilch
09-28-2007, 10:38 AM
O.K., for starters, we'll come up with a title that has neither "Quick" nor "Dirty" in it, then.... :D

DavidF
09-28-2007, 09:29 PM
"...Where is Macaron?.."

I think next to the petit fores. My wife loves macarons with the cocoa sprinkled on.

One significant problem with any kit/project speaker shown so far is the general lack of driver availability. At least drivers of interest to this forum. Can't exactly buy them off shelf. Makes many projects tend to be one offs, two offs, etc.

DavidF

Mr. Widget
09-29-2007, 12:12 AM
One significant problem with any kit/project speaker shown so far is the general lack of driver availability.If you are patient and a bit resourceful most of these drivers are available.:) Frequently even at prices that are real bargains... but if you are hoping to go out and get the entire ensemble in a week or two, be prepared to pay top dollar and still be disappointed.

Widget

toddalin
09-29-2007, 11:44 AM
My current project (I'm doing four for the surround speakers) , that I think will be very cool and fairly economical, is use a W##GTI-series woofer with a 2425J/2426J and a two way version of the "keeper" crossovers. The crossovers really do like the 12 ohm woofer load and amazing as it sounds, the "keeper" crossovers were about 10 dB louder on the woofer than the 3110 that Grumpy brought over. (We've no idea why, and Grumpy is looking into it.) This could at least partially compensate for their inefficiency and properly ported, you'll never lack for bass.

W10GTI, W12GTI, and W15GTIs continually go for about $200, $225, and $250/each NEW on evil bay and 2425J/2426J on 2370 horns go for ~$125-$150/each. A two-way "keeper" crossover using HIGH QUALITY component (Solen/Erse/Theta by-pass caps) could be done for <~100/each. Used cabinets would be far cheaper than building cabinets and the W-series woofers can be used in a whole range of sizes. (I'm using my existing 1.4 cu ft CV cabinets for 10" 2-ways with the horns mounted externally.)

I know that the W-series were intended as automotive "subwoofers", but here is the measured response of the W10GTI in a 1.4 cu ft cabinet with just a 2" hole in the cabinet front to serve as a port. This is not bad for a very simple project! The keeper crossovers actually seem to flatten out the downslope trend making the curve even flatter.

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=28556&d=1190593161

Zilch
09-30-2007, 01:23 PM
http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=187267#post187267