PDA

View Full Version : 2235 Breakin and Audio Cables

Anton
05-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Hi Guys
I posted an earlier message about my 2235 needing breaking in
some of my problems was in my crossover and the XBR cables
feeding the amp .they sound Ok .Now. but they still need break in time.

What this messge is mostly about I was on the computer and using
the extrnal Fire-Wire drive and thinking these cables must be
pretty good to pass digital and no crosstalk. I had some extra
(Fire-Wire 1394 ) cables so I checked it out and they have 2
Sets of twiisted and shielded wires. Plus 2 other unshielded and
surounded by another braided shield over all of them
plus having relative small gage wire.

So I figured they might make good audio cables .Ran down to Radio
Shack got some cheap RCA fittings and started soldering utilizing
the pair of shielded wires and not using the shield as ground.
With nothing else changed they sound real good and to my
ears the Bass has more definition ..
I have some (1394 ) cable left over so I will built another set for
the Thorens Turntable.
These seem to be the best sounding so far and I have tried all kinds
in the last 25 years . DIY and store bought "Super Cables "

Thanks
Anton

Mr. Widget
05-19-2003, 03:44 PM
In general I am not a "believer" in cables. I am not saying that you won't hear differences, but in every comparison that I have been involved in there has not been any consistent absolute anything.

That said, when changing turntable cables where the signal level is so small and you are creating a system between the preamp and cartridge, any change in capacitance, resistance, inductance etc. will have very real effects.

scott fitlin
05-19-2003, 04:15 PM
I, Too, have tried various HIGH PRICED cables and I do hear a difference. None that Ive liked yet, though!

Regular cables well made sound just fine! :D

boputnam
05-19-2003, 06:47 PM
Anton...

Lifting the ground wire has proven to be useful in a number of instances.

You may have had some ground-loop issues that you might not have noticed, but which were resolved by "lifting (or breaking) the ground". Ground loops can be insidious in how they impact the audio signal. We lift the ground frequently in live pro audio, when needed. Lifting Pin 1 (XLR) does not affect (degrade) an unbalanced signal.

I posted a great solution to this problem last week on this forum: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=171

Hope it helps.

Oh - one other thing. The use of a ground (shield) three-wire as a two-wire speaker lead is to shield from unwanted RF. Twisted-pair achieves nearly the same result. I use either three-wire shielded (dropped ground) or twisted-pair.

Anton
05-19-2003, 11:19 PM
Hi again
Regarding the XRL cables that was an earlier problem ,They
were store bought items and one hot lead came loose. It had nothing
to do with the (1394 Fire Wire ) cables which I made up a week later.

Regarding the turntable wires that was not the first (1394) cables
I made up and tried . The first cables I made up sounded so much better
Thru a Tuner (same station same volume ) only changed cables
so I had some (1394) left over and made up a set for the Thorens turntable.

And I noticed the same results. Regarding all those fancy cables I
have tried some over the last 25 years and found not much difference
other than price.

All I know nothing was changed while listening to the same music
I just switched cables and everything sounded better all
the way around definitly more bass more articulate.(freer)

Thankyou
Anton

Mannermusic
01-12-2007, 04:07 PM
In general I am not a "believer" in cables. I am not saying that you won't hear differences, but in every comparison that I have been involved in there has not been any consistent absolute anything.

That said, when changing turntable cables where the signal level is so small and you are creating a system between the preamp and cartridge, any change in capacitance, resistance, inductance etc. will have very real effects.

Roger the above - and "would you believe" (had to say it) that my ancient Marantz 7C pre has a cable length compensating cap that can be adjusted for long runs? I'm not making this up! So, it turns out all this is an old subj. - like the current author! But, yes, I can hear a difference with signal cables, connections being the major weakness; corrosion with time especially. Solder joints deteriorate as well.:blink:

Thom
01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
In instrumentation the shield is almost always grounded on one only whether one of the pair is common with groung or not.
I saw some stuff in british HiFi magazines about where they were using 300 ohm twin lead (no shield) as interconnects. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it so I'm not sure what or why past having seen it.

Thom
01-12-2007, 04:48 PM
In instrumentation the shield is almost always grounded on one only whether one of the pair is common with ground or not.
I saw some stuff in British HiFi magazines about where they were using 300 ohm twin lead (no shield) as interconnects. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it so I'm not sure what or why past having seen it.