PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Aquaplased diaphrams

Russellc
09-22-2007, 06:33 AM
Could someone give me the lowdown on this....I know what it is, but how does one get this stuff? Or does one have to purchase a diaphram that is already treated? Can a JBL repair center do it? Does it work on all titanium jbl diaphrams, in my case the 2425H? Or is this a thing that requires being a JBL insider? thanks to anyone who can explain this to a thick head like myself. If it matters, the 2425H will be on a 2344A horn. I figure this driver doesnt need anything else rolling it off any earlier, but what the hell do I know?

Russellc

Earl K
09-22-2007, 07:16 AM
Or is this a thing that requires being a JBL insider?

- The beneficial advantages of aquaplas is somewhat "common-knowledge" for those of us who have been active participants in this forum since its' creation ( if that's what you mean by "insiders" ).

Could someone give me the lowdown on this....I know what it is, but how does one get this stuff?

- RobH has posted a few times on how to ( somewhat surreptiously ) get the stuff ( including some info on how to dye it, so it's black ) .
- Giskard has posted a veritable "how-to" in application technique for both diaphragms and woofer cones .
- The forums "search engine" will return this info .
- In your case, it's likely better to pay either of the above to treat your diaphragms since they're now practised at it.

Or does one have to purchase a diaphram that is already treated?

- That's an option if you need an 8 ohm 2425 diaphragm type . AFAIK, JBL will sell the D8R275 diaphragm ( ???, #s' might be off ) that fits into a 2425/6/7 driver core . D16R275 diaphragms don't exist / AFAIK .

Can a JBL repair center do it? Does it work on all titanium jbl diaphrams, in my case the 2425H?

- It's unlikely they could do the aquaplassing, since, IME, most JBL repair centres aren't savy enough to even offer customers an optional service of "running the TS parameters" for newly reconed woofers.

thanks to anyone who can explain this to a thick head like myself. If it matters, the 2425H will be on a 2344A horn. I figure this driver doesnt need anything else rolling it off any earlier, but what the hell do I know?

- Aquaplassing is all about controlling the quite audible breakup modes that most Ti diaphragms suffer from ( I like to call these modes; "splash" ). The decay signature of treated diaphragms noticably changes ( into being a faster decay).
- Yes, the treatment reduces "apparent" HF content / though one usually discovers a treasure trove of midrange content,( hereto unheard ) once the masking effects of "splash" are minimized or removed .

- Here's a jpg ( from JBL ) of a 3" diaphragm in full "splash mode" ( at 14.5K ).
- You'd be surprised how many people prefer the sound of "splashy" HF content. I figure this preference is a learned response due to living in our noisy world . "Splash" does have more energy built into it ( think of a "freshly" purchased ride cymbal with a long decay signature, as a working example ).

:)

Ian Mackenzie
09-22-2007, 07:35 AM
Earl,

You covered the topic well.

Its a big jump but will take some getting used to if Ti JBL has been your bread and butter over the last 25 years. I would suggest buying the JBL part and having it installed.

4313B
09-22-2007, 07:38 AM
Nice post Earl!

As usual... :)

It's appreciated!

Steve Schell
09-22-2007, 10:49 AM
Ditto Earl, great post. I have also noticed that some people prefer high frequency reproduction with splash... I usually refer to it as "tsss tsss." When it is missing they think that there is something lacking in the reproduction, even though the h.f extension is fine.

timc
09-22-2007, 11:18 AM
Very good post Earl.

Is there anyone currently doing the Aquaplas coating?

How much would a pair of 435Be Diaphragms cost?

-Tim

edgewound
09-22-2007, 11:50 AM
- It's unlikely they could do the aquaplassing, since, IME, most JBL repair centres aren't enough savy to even offer customers an optional service of "running the TS parameters" for newly reconed woofers.

I agree with everything in your post Earl K, but the above quote is a little less than fair, wouldn't you agree?

The TS parameters of a freshly reconed woofer are useless, because the suspension elements are brand new...not "seated"....or "broken in". With your knowledge and experience, you should know that. Most of the TS parameters have been published as to how the drivers are/were designed. We are supplied with preassembled recone kits that have been subjected to factory QC standards. That's one reason why the kits are so expensive.

Granted....some Service Centers are less than baseline competent and often cut corners or downright cheat in what is acceptable factory service guidelines. I do my best to do the product to factory specs....no less.

But...we are at the mercy of the parts in which the factory supplies us. Thankfully...for the past number of years the replacement parts have been very good.

Guido
09-23-2007, 05:53 AM
How much would a pair of 435Be Diaphragms cost?
-Tim
I tried this trick. Unfortunately they aren't available here in Germany even not for me as a JBL Dealer. Only complete drivers as replacement.

4313B
09-23-2007, 06:09 AM
I tried this trick. Unfortunately they aren't available here in Germany even not for me as a JBL Dealer. Only complete drivers as replacement.That appears to be the new trend with Consumer and the newest compression drivers. I actually ordered some proper containers just yesterday Guido and will be sending you some aquaplas as soon as they arrive. That way you can take care of your continent if you so choose.

timc
09-23-2007, 09:30 AM
If you so choose Guido, i have a job for you :D

-Tim

Thom
09-23-2007, 11:44 AM
Approx how thick/deep is the desired coating on a driver diaphragm. Some sort of range. And what is special about aqua-plas from other coatings. Also is Aqua-plas what this company calls all their products? I'm thinking what shows up on woofers is a different material.

Guido
09-23-2007, 03:43 PM
That appears to be the new trend with Consumer and the newest compression drivers. I actually ordered some proper containers just yesterday Guido and will be sending you some aquaplas as soon as they arrive. That way you can take care of your continent if you so choose.

Choosen! Thank you. :) But the whole continent....
Details with PM.