PDA

View Full Version : Seeking info on guitar spakers

gully70
09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
I need some information on a pair of JBL D120Fs that I ran across in a homemade cabinet. I have serial numbers and so on; I jut need to know when they were made, where they came from (out of a Twin Reverb or something else), how to tell if they have been reconed and anything else that may be pertinent. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks-gully

Audiobeer
09-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Got to get ready for Ebay. Understand completely. Someone will be along that will help you. This place is full of folks with all the info you'll need. :)

Audiobeer
09-17-2007, 05:42 PM
Here's a copy of something I found on Audiokarma.......

Don McR
08-24-2002, 08:55 AM
Snip
Nice find. The D120F is basically a ruggedized D131. They were designed by Harvey Gerst in the sixties as musical instrument speakers. Fender was JBL's original customer for such speakers and their demand led to the development of the "F" series. The "F" did stand for Fender, but they were never intended to be sold just to that company. They were sold directly to the public as raw drivers and to other OEM's.

They were meant to have the same sound as their home speaker counterparts but used tougher suspensions and adhesives to keep them from flying apart at high volume. The doping used around the outside edge of the cone was one of the treatments developed for this series to prevent the surrounds from tearing at high excursions.

Harvey Gerst is a very interesting character who currently runs Indian Trail Recording Studios. After an eight year stint with JBL, he worked in the recording industry with virtually every big name act you can think of from the late 60's and early 70's. He has some great pictures that he took posted on his site below. Just a short list includes Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Fleetwood Mac and on and on.