PDA

View Full Version : Your JBL's vintage ??

SEAWOLF97
09-15-2007, 08:17 PM
wondering the vintage of your most listened to pair ?

Titanium Dome
09-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Well, I selected 2000 to now since I listen to the Performance Series every evening at home.

But at work I listen to the 4430s on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday.

On Wednesday and Thursday mornings I listen to the L60Ts, and in the afternoons the L7s.

On Saturday I listen to the L250s, XPL200s, L7s, SVA2100s, and L100s.

And on Sunday it's the XPL160s and E50s.

Plus in the late evening we listen to the S2600s before retiring.

So, I coulda checked every decade from 1970 on. :bouncy:

timc
09-16-2007, 01:02 AM
I "only" have two pairs. The L65's for main music listening. The LSR4328P's are on computer duty.....Best computerspeaker in the world?

Best regards Tim

SEAWOLF97
09-17-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm not a statistician , but a slight trend seems to be emerging..

wow ...I'm like the only person in the 1990's .....hope that was correct time period for my 4412's...

JBL seemed to have had a "lean decade"

Steve Schell
09-17-2007, 09:44 AM
One of the Lansing Iconics I am running these days probably dates to 1938; the serial number on the crossover is #70. The other one has the Lansing nameplate on the enclosure, which probably dates it to 1941 or 1942. I chose "1939 to start of time" on the poll though, mostly for dramatic effect.

JBLnsince1959
09-17-2007, 09:48 AM
I was hoping to vote twice once for the fifties and then once for the Performance series....add another one from now to 2000

mikebake
09-17-2007, 06:13 PM
Yes it is..............

brutal
09-17-2007, 06:29 PM
4310's (late model 1973?) in the home office almost daily, L112 (1982) Mains on the HT almost daily. I certainly spend more time in front of the 4310's, but I just finished rebuilding a nice 2nd set of L112's that are going onto permanent duty in the office. It'll be interesting to see how they compare in a near field confined space setup since the L112's like to be out a bit.

toddalin
09-17-2007, 06:54 PM
Yes, but what about those of us with many vintages of components in the same cabinet that is of another vintage (which may encompass more people than not here)??? :blink:

Zilch
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
"Other" is always good.

[And usually wins.... :D ]

Docspeakers
09-28-2007, 09:56 PM
Are we talking home speakers here? Can we pick more than one? I have enjoyed JBL's since the 40's.. My favorite would have to be the late 60's-late 70's..

scott fitlin
09-28-2007, 10:25 PM
The first pair of JBL,s I ever heard were my uncles Century L-100,s with the orange foam grills in 1970 or so. Loved em. Loved going to his apartment so i could hear music through them.

Of course, all my late 70,s and early 80,s JBL Pro stuff, loved growing up on that!

At this time, I am in the process of seeking a factory engineered full range solution for my room. The JBL Dance 5 with its triple 14,s two horn loaded 8in cone mids, and HF driver horn are a serious contender. Space has always been the limiting factor in my room, with depth not being able to be exceeded by 30in, and this cabinet is 19in deep, I can fit it in height and width wise no problem. It seems to have all the right things! The Precision Directivity series also has cabinets that will work for me, have to see what the engineer recommends as the best choices for my room.

I also want to change from ALL my old horn loaded subs, to newer ported cabinets utilizing the JBL 2242, like Widget built for me.

I loved my old stuff, and it did sound great, but, the year is 2007, not 1977, music is dramatically different, and doesnt, IMO, always sound quite right through some of that old stuff, repairs have become problematic as getting original parts are many time NLA, even my old Crown amps have had their best day, and they break, and its a PITA to get them fixed, as parts for them are NLA!

Mostly though, I honestly have come to the realization, that todays music needs more modern technology and power to be reproduced correctly.

I heard the JBL horn loaded 8in cone mids, and they can take some power, and the midrange that they produced playing todays digital recordings outdid what my vintage lens horns and drivers can do with todays music in just about every way! Transient detail was better, much lower distortion, the ability to play at the neccesary volume levels without honk and harshness. The triple 14in LF section goes pretty low, and handles the demands of todays music, and reproduces the lower end of the spectrum stressfree, which my old stuff just cant do anymore. The HF horn just sounds cleaner than my old 2404 bi-radials.

I will be totally renovating my place and outfitting it with NEW sound this winter, and saying goodbye to the vintage gear wont really be that hard, to be honest, the vintage stuff does NOT reproduce todays digital recordings that well, and that is where we are at today, digital recordings are what the world is using, and I have to make it work.

Besides, I heard some stuff, JBL among them, and done properly, it can work, and work well.

But this time, its all about having factory engineered solutions, and setting it up according to the manufacturers specification!

This is how I'm going into 2008!

:)

00Robin
09-29-2007, 05:49 AM
Whaaaatttt????!!! No more VOTTS??? what about at the bumper joint? The new stuff DOES sound better for the new discs and all,but what about home and that warm analog "feel"? For certain times. You can't possibly go completely new? Can you?
Are you just clearing out the joint of the old stuff?? When? Everything?:biting:

Titanium Dome
09-29-2007, 09:45 AM
The first pair of JBL,s I ever heard were my uncles Century L-100,s with the orange foam grills in 1970 or so. Loved em. Loved going to his apartment so i could hear music through them.

Of course, all my late 70,s and early 80,s JBL Pro stuff, loved growing up on that!
-----------------
I loved my old stuff, and it did sound great, but, the year is 2007, not 1977, music is dramatically different, and doesnt, IMO, always sound quite right through some of that old stuff,
------------------
Mostly though, I honestly have come to the realization, that todays music needs more modern technology and power to be reproduced correctly.
------------------
But this time, its all about having factory engineered solutions, and setting it up according to the manufacturers specification!

This is how I'm going into 2008!

Scotty, that's a brave confession and one I totally buy into. I love the old stuff and even keep a few around for occasional use, but the reality is that most of it can't keep up, consumer or pro.

Heck, there are days when I think the Performance Series is last-gen old, and I need to replace it. Unfortunately for me, everything above it is horn based, so I have to overcome my natural resistance to that in a home system. (Even though I've got those wonderful S2600s in the master bedroom--go figure.)

Once we move, I'm counting on the PS to take on new life in a better environment. But they are getting on toward four years old.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=3272

A lot has happened in four years, and it's been pretty phenomenal. You're making the right move IMO. Love to hear it when it's done! :yes:

scott fitlin
09-29-2007, 10:42 AM
Thanks Ti. Yeah, I have been fighting it for a bit now. But, lets face facts, parts for much of the older stuff doesnt exist. Servicing the old Crowns has become a PITA, because I cant get the correct parts anymore.

Now, I loved the sound of older speakers, and again, parts are hard to come by, and using substitute parts is not my definitive answer to anything.

MOSTLY, music and recording technology has changed so dramatically and I honestly feel that what sounded great 20, or even just 10 years ago, no longer sounds good to me no matter what I do.

My lens horns were designed in a different era, when music was much different, and one night I hear this track off a CD in a club that has horn loaded 8in cone midrange, and the snare, the vocal, the and percussions have a fuller, richer, more realistic sound than the same track through my lens horns. Todays music through my lenses sound tinny and nasal. And you cant EQ them to perform like cone mids sound with todays music. Now, they are offering high efficiency, horn loaded, high power handling cone mids and they do have the projectivity, and dynamic expressiveness that horn loading is famous for, but none of the horn honk associated with many of the older 2in comp driver horns.

You know, this stuff sounded terriffic during the eras when we were playing records, but, I havent played a record all this past summer. I havent bought a new record in two years. I play CD,s and am getting into playing spinning files out of a laptop utilizing Ranes Serrato. These new recordings, and their recording technologies demand a different playing field than analog vinyl recordings of the past.

Steve Schell
09-29-2007, 11:05 AM
Come on all you "1939 to start of time" guys out there, it's time to vote! We're starting to fall behind here.

rs237
09-29-2007, 12:05 PM
Come on all you "1939 to start of time" guys out there, it's time to vote! We're starting to fall behind here.

hello Steve,
you are probably not gladly alone. :)
I would have also gladly a “Iconic”. I will join however after completion of my Hartsfield the 50's.

regards

juergen

scott fitlin
09-29-2007, 01:16 PM
A lot has happened in four years, and it's been pretty phenomenal. You're making the right move IMO. Love to hear it when it's done! :yes:Ti, this is the cabinet I consider my best bet! It looks more and more attractive each day. Six of these and proper new subwoofers to voice the room for todays source material, tell me what you think of these?

2008 may very well look like this in here.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cspels/Dance5%205-5-03.pdf

:D

JBL Dog
09-29-2007, 02:33 PM
wondering the vintage of your most listened to pair ?

Metregon from around 1964, 4343's come in second from about 1977, third is a set of Lancer 99's from the late 1960's.

Titanium Dome
09-29-2007, 03:04 PM
Ti, this is the cabinet I consider my best bet! It looks more and more attractive each day. Six of these and proper new subwoofers to voice the room for todays source material, tell me what you think of these?

2008 may very well look like this in here.

http://www.jblpro.com/pub/cspels/Dance5%205-5-03.pdf

:D

A-FREAKIN-mazing! 101dB SPL 1W @ 1m! :jawdrop: 108 dB SPL :jawdrop: 114 dB SPL :jawdrop: Where's my ear plugs?

Three 14s, dual 8s in a horn, AND a 4" compression driver in a PT Waveguide? Oh yeah, subs, too! You'd better reinforce your roof. It's gonna blow off.

This will be worth a trip to NYC. :yes:

scott fitlin
09-29-2007, 04:03 PM
A-FREAKIN-mazing! 101dB SPL 1W @ 1m! :jawdrop: 108 dB SPL :jawdrop: 114 dB SPL :jawdrop: Where's my ear plugs?

Three 14s, dual 8s in a horn, AND a 4" compression driver in a PT Waveguide? Oh yeah, subs, too! You'd better reinforce your roof. It's gonna blow off.

This will be worth a trip to NYC. :yes:See the dimensions of the cabinet are doable for me. The other dance club engineered complete solution I was looking at is The EAW Avalon DC-1, but the 47in H and 26in D are ok, but I just cant fit them in my corners due to their 70in width.

The JBL Dance 5 I can fit in here. It has all the right things. The LF section specs out pretty awesome, matter of fact, I have heard JBL 14,s in their Array series, they do make great sounding low end, most of all its that dual 8in cone horn loaded midrange Im after. They can take some power, and this is what sounds right with todays music sources. I have heard then already, they have that JBL dynamic percussive sound. My old lens horns just get cranky sounding with todays digital music.

Best of all, its a complete package, factory engineered, you KNOW it's gonna work!

Again, I was also looking at the EAW Avalon series DC-1, but I cant fit the 70in wide cabinet into my corners. There are some interesting Canadian, and European systems available too, BUT, with JBL you know you can get parts, and serviceability is good, JBL is right here in the U.S. Thats an important consideration, as well.

Lastly, of everything I hear, and they have out there now, JBL still has the most dynamic sound. Percussions and drums have that explosive transient snap I find so appealing.

Complete, and factory engineered JBL, and designed for Dance Club Sound, playing todays music, this is the way I must go!

:bouncy:

scott fitlin
09-29-2007, 04:50 PM
Oh yeah, subs, too! You'd better reinforce your roof. It's gonna blow off.

This will be worth a trip to NYC. :yes:This place is built solid. My grandad and father built, I have 22,000lbs of bumper cars + the weight of the people inside running around the floor.

The steel grid drop ceiling is more than strong enough for me to lay up there while I do work occasionally up there.

Oldmics
10-01-2007, 11:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Schell http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=187155#post187155)

Hey,If we could vote multiple times I would bet that many of us would fit into a bunch of different catagories.

I could pretty much cover the whole time frame. :blah::blah::blah:

Oldmics

Hofmannhp
10-02-2007, 06:05 AM
But at work I listen to the 4430s on Monday, Tuesday, and Friday.

Hi TD,

have I done something wrong......I need to work from early Monday to late Friday.:banghead: and this with audio signals from a small radio.:(

HP

LowPhreak
10-02-2007, 02:24 PM
"wondering the vintage of your most listened to pair ?"

HAha! That's funny...my most listened to pair.

:blink:

My only pair listened to is 4412's, so I guess ca. 1990's. Please make room for the Luddites!

SEAWOLF97
10-09-2007, 04:44 AM
my most listened to pair are: 1 pre 1978 and 1 post 78 ....produced from 72 to 84 and one blew and was replaced by a newer one....now have the smallest fuses that I can live with as drivers are not replaceable :D