PDA

View Full Version : LE14A woofers

Pointsource
09-13-2007, 06:04 PM
Been using the search feature to my full advantage before posting this; it seems that the brake fluid is only a temporary remedy for stubborn (deteriorating) surrounds and will do nothing to help a failing spider, but at the very least its a good idea as a preventative maintenance procedure correct?? and nothing that will miraculously fix a dying woofer???

The reason I ask is that I am seriously contemplating a pair of S-99's with LE14A's and would like to put them in full time use...

What do I need to look for to make sure that the woofers are operating properly?? How will I know if the spider is starting to go and the woofers will need a recone?? Obviously it would be "best" to just have them reconed, but if I were to temporarily have the surrounds replaced, could I get by using them if there are no issues that I can notice?

If I need to resort to a recone, about how much am I looking to spend? And can I even get a recone kit myself, or will I need to send them off to a authorized JBL service center to have them done??

Also, in the pictures that I received it appears that some of the Aquaplas cone is starting to flake off in spots, its not very major, but this may be an issue down the road.. Is there something I can use that will help preserve it??

Edit... It turns out that they are not deteriorating, just poor lighting in the pics, irregardless, is there something I can put on the cones to keep them preserved?

I can't wait to get my first set of JBL's, but would like to know what I'm getting myself into before I do...

Thanks in advance...

I have since editted this post,, grumpy got too it before I could organize my thoughts. thanks much...

Pointsource
09-13-2007, 06:59 PM
Also,. what would I need to do to modify the networks to accept the LE14C?? The cabinet size and porting should be the same as the LE14A correct?

Pointsource
09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
me too and thanks... networks look easy, I could leave the originals aside and build them, no problem.. The LX2-1 is close to the same way I've run Tannoy's, almost exact values, this will put the crossover at around 2000 Hz correct?, might it be better to start them off a little lower say around 1500 Hz?? Seems as if the LE14A's start to fall off around here... If so, what value cap could I change to??

Think I could just use a piece of wood to close the opening for the tweeter??

Pointsource
09-14-2007, 12:28 AM
I have an opportunity to buy a pair of LE14C's is all... not "jumping" into them... just thought they could also work in this cabinet for me to try...

Thom
09-14-2007, 08:05 AM
Sometimes the brake fluid results are quite nice but I would only use it if the foam is already hard and I was ready to re foam if the results were bad. I wouldn't use it on a good surround as a preservative the results are not predictable enough and long term I don't know if it would lengthen or shorten the life of a good surround. I think the best way to keep a good surround good is to move somewhere with less air pollution.

4313B
09-14-2007, 08:10 AM
One reaches a point where one simply doesn't want to screw around with it all anymore and one buys a pair of LE14H-3's. :)
It's a total win situation, the LE14H-3 is simply better in every aspect.

Titanium Dome
09-14-2007, 09:36 AM
Amen, brother.

Pointsource
09-14-2007, 01:09 PM
Yes, LE14C will work in that cabinet, but it will work better in a larger one, at least insofar as extended bass response is concerned.

This I already know, the cabinet size is a limiting factor, and unfortunately this is about as large as I can go, even if I were to build one myself.. Would the bass of a smaller dia. woofer work "better" in a cab this size??

I read through your other posts and don't want to go that route or compression drivers and adding to factory system, I'd be better saving my money for a different speaker, but I think for the money, (and my girlfriend induced cabinet size constraints), they are worth the effort to try.

I will not put them into full use without having the correct lansalloy surrounds installed and a an overall checkout.. Not having the equipment I need to test them properly I would have no idea for sure to know if they were operating properly.

Been to the tech section and checked out the frequency response of the LE14H and LE14H-3, can I assume that the LE14A will be similiar?? I don't think the problem lies as much with the LE14, but the inability of the LE20-1 to produce frequencies below 2 kHz. The last thing I want is a "gap" in the music especially in the all too important midrange.. and as I said I wouldn't want to alter a factory JBL speaker.

The person who I am considering buying the S-99's from also has L65A Jubals for sale, and 4315's (I'd have to get a new GF to get either of these, she'd never allow them...) I'd imagine the pro version JBL networks as used on the 4315's to be better not too mention that it has another driver to handle the upper bass.

They are both viable options, but not to privvy to 3-way's and 4-way's as there are always imaging, placement, and time delay issues that arise when there's more than one driver playing at once. With 2 ways, there's less of a likelihood of this happening assuming the tweeter can handle frequenices that most would consider midrange material.. My Dynacos are very good at this and rarely do I notice intermingling or re-inforcement between the drivers..

The networks in 3-4 ways always seem to fumble up an otherwise great set of transducers by trying to make up for these time delay and placement descrepencies from driver to driver, and I can't say that I've ever heard one that sounded "right" coming from a single point in space, like a coaxial/fullrange driver can do. Which is why I was considering using a LE14C versus the LE14A/LE20-1 combo.

Pointsource
09-14-2007, 01:16 PM
One reaches a point where one simply doesn't want to screw around with it all anymore and one buys a pair of LE14H-3's. :)
It's a total win situation, the LE14H-3 is simply better in every aspect.

The LE14H-3 would be a good "replacement" for the LE14A should it get to that point, but they too would have the same frequency response issues as mentioned by Zilch in this system..

edgewound
09-14-2007, 01:34 PM
If anyone is interested...

I've got (3)C8RLE14A kits looking to be installed in a needy frame. I'll even do the install. These kits aren't doing me any good just taking up space...not free, though, of course.

$199.00 ea, plus shipping...and sales tax if you're in California.

Maybe I should move this to the Marketplace.

.....duplicated in the Marketplace. See pics there for authentication.

DavidF
09-14-2007, 02:26 PM
The gist of some of these responses is that you are trading older technology (Dynaco) for older technology (JBL). What is there to gain? Some of the top-line equipment of the era including JBL, Tannoys, or Altec have a certain cache but you pay for it. I'll suggest that for actual and practical use you are better off staying with the Dynacos. They are a better set of compromises in a two-way configuration. No need to look at the S99 or coaxials unless your intent is to start a heritage collection.

Where is St. Joseph, IL by the way?

DavidF