PDA

View Full Version : CSI JBL

mbd7
09-12-2007, 07:13 PM
Cone Scam Investigation (CSI)... the first clue... I got it on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230166814845&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:12

mbd7
09-12-2007, 07:18 PM
After peeling away all the urethane I felt like Jeraldo after he opened Al Capone’s secret passage... nothing there

mbd7
09-12-2007, 07:22 PM
Cryptic messages on the inside of the cone

mbd7
09-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Just because it was in a C8R2121 Box doesn't make it legit! And you don't need to be a Certified Forensic Coneologist the figure that one out!

mbd7
09-12-2007, 07:34 PM
I bought this speaker as a back up so I can listen to my 4343's while I get the real 2121's reconed. I never thought I would see so many different speaker components slapped together! I'll let you know how it sounds in a few days.

Zilch
09-12-2007, 08:56 PM
I'm not getting this. What do you believe they are?

[Or, are not?]

subwoof
09-13-2007, 08:03 AM
That is the newer style 10" basket and the cone kit appears to be correct however the dome is not inverted and the trim ring is not installed. You would have to ask a JBL service center to see if the older, larger diameter inverted dome is still supplied.

A box is a box is a box.The serial number does match the one on that little sticker though..:o)

The 2121 has an inverted dome and was replaced by the ( suggested replacement + improved ) 2122H by the time the magnets became black and long before they had the new terminals.

See Heather's 4341 thread for the pix I submitted of the entire 10" foam line examples.

sub

hjames
09-13-2007, 08:48 AM
Field Guide to the 10 Inch Woofers ... (see the first post for images & charts)

http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=16962

Earl K
09-13-2007, 09:23 AM
Just because it was in a C8R2121 Box doesn't make it legit! And you don't need to be a Certified Forensic Coneologist the figure that one out!

- I think your speaker is a bona fide 2121H. It's just that it has been afixed with an outward facing 3" dustcap. ( I've been asked by my reconers whether I want an inverted or normal dustcap on a recent recone of a le10a ).

The Reason ( for my belief ) ?
- The serial numbers of your replacement cone kit are a perfect match ( between the serial number on the C8R2121Hs' shipping box & the sticker tag of the actual cone kit ) / according to pics you've included .
- A flipped dustcap doesn't turn a 2121 into a 2122 .

- The two models had different ranges of "healhy" DCR for their respective voice-coils ( back in the 1980s ), as well as different inductances ( Le ) for those coils .

- I don't see how Dave, the seller of this speaker, has deceived you ( I think you're just a bit undereducated about these matters ) .
- IMHO, It's quite unfortunate that you've chosen to include the "Scam" word from the get-go in this thread . You haven't been scammed from my perspective .

- You got a good deal on your purchase ( IMO ) / whether it's a 2121 or a 2122.

Robh3606
09-13-2007, 10:21 AM
Looks OK to me except the dust cap looks like a 4". Could be just the photo though. You have 2121's so see if the dust cap is the correct diameter. If I remember correctly there was an issue with undersize dust caps or they were too deep and wouldn't go on inverted with the kit's. Something I read here somewhere. Maybe Edge will chime in or Giskard.

Rob:)

mbd7
09-13-2007, 05:11 PM
I did all the research on this item before I bought it. I guess I could have used Cone Scene Investigation instead of Scam, but everyone is presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. I just thought that this speaker was more of a cross-breed than original. I've got a genuine C8R2121 that I got from Ken Pachkowsky and I compared these two and the dust caps are 4" on both of them. I guess they just got dyslectic when they installed it. A little MEK should do the trick to allow the dust cap to be correctly reinstalled. The only thing left to do after that is give it the listening test in the 4343 "Doghouse".

subwoof
09-16-2007, 08:49 PM
MANY other high-end manufacturers over the years have purchased JBL raw frame components and have modified them to their "specs"

heath
RCA
Sunn
Fender
Peavey
Meyer
Community
Westlake
Tychobrae

To name a only a FEW

And while they may have added ferrofluid, changed spiders, used different paint, installed weird dustcaps or any other "improvement" it is and will still be a JBL component.

That westlake thought that adding gobs of epoxy, removing the nameplate and using an OLD KIT in a NEW frame makes the "correct" speaker for their monitor does NOT mean it was a scam or fraud auction.

It is the BUYERS responsibility to determine the items heritage and suitability for their usage and you owe the seller an apology. It was correctly posted and identified in all respects.

sub