PDA

View Full Version : How to mount your 2450 drivers in the box?

Jakob
09-10-2007, 05:03 PM
Hi!

What do JBL use to mount these drivers in their boxes. Is there any hardware You can buy for this purpose? Or are they just attached to the horn? In my case I don't want to screw the horn on to the box, so instead, I'll need to secure the driver to the box in some way.

Thanks for any info on this,

Jakob

Mike Caldwell
09-10-2007, 05:12 PM
Normally the horn is fastened at the front and the driver is rear supported fitted into a cut out that encircles the driver. You could have a bracket that bolts to the horn and driver using the same bolts that hold the driver and horn together. JBL did that on some cabinets and horns, mostly external horns if I'm not mistaken. On a good horn mounted from the front and light weight driver like the 2450 no rear support maybe needed for a cabinet that is not used in a mobile application.

Mike Caldwell

speakerdave
09-11-2007, 09:01 PM
. . . . JBL did that on some cabinets and horns, mostly external horns if I'm not mistaken . . . .

JBL did this in the 4345, and I would think also in the 4343 and 4344. A pressed steel Z-plate fixes the driver in place with bolts as you describe and screws into the back edge of the midrange dogbox. The 2421 driver is not huge--probably weighs less than the 2450--and is attached to a stout cast aluminum horn, so apparently JBL thinks it worthwhile to add this kind of support for the driver even in cases where incidental bumps of moving are all the risk.

David

Zilch
09-11-2007, 10:51 PM
2450 has four mounting holes drilled in the ribs of the throat, presumably suitable for use to fixedly mount the driver:

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Discrete%20Sales%20Models/2450HJ.pdf

Thom
09-12-2007, 09:53 AM
When all else fails. Plumbers tape, and/ or unistrut.

Jakob
09-13-2007, 03:04 AM
Thanks all!

Yes, I have noticed the four mounting holes drilled in the ribs of the throat. I will try to use them to secure the driver to the box.

I just hoped that JBL used some kind of special hardware for this purpose which You could purchase, instead of going through the "trouble "of inventing something yourself.

I guess I'll just have to try and use my brain again...:banghead:

Thom
09-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Unless you think it would have acoustic properties of its own, uni strut is marvelous stuff. add a couple of angles maybe a u bout it's a lifesaver.

Zilch
09-13-2007, 12:02 PM
I just hoped that JBL used some kind of special hardware for this purpose which You could purchase, instead of going through the "trouble "of inventing something yourself.Well, they do, of course:

http://www.jblpro.com/pages/components/componts.htm

Last time I looked, there were some in the Tent Sale, but they weren't cheap there, either.... :blink: