PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest a good carrier for large unpacked speakers?

oldsoundz
09-10-2007, 04:20 PM
I am trying to help a lady get a good shipping price on a Leslie organ speaker. I would prefer to not have to package it. It's BIG. Any companies stick out?
Salt lake to Texas.

Thanks

Chris

doodlebug
09-11-2007, 08:46 PM
It sounds like you're looking for a piece-rate furniture mover. Here's how I found out about them:

* Go to eBay and search for older pieces of furniture - a chest of drawers, for instance.
* Look at the auctions there and you'll find references to the fact that you have to contract with a shipper separately if you purchase (or win) the auction. Some of these folks will have links to their own web sites where they list a number of these contractors.
* Last resort, call the vendor and they'll usually be glad to discuss who they'd recommend.

The guy that delivered the piece of mahagony chest had all sorts of pianos and furniture of all kinds on his truck. He had left Michigan earlier in the week, gone through Memphis then on to Little Rock and was off to Arizona after that. Each piece was wrapped in movers blankets and then wrapped in mylar plastic.

The price included delivery into the house and placing the item, too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

David

oldsoundz
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
Thank you David, that is exactly what I was after. I will get digging. Thank for the direction.

Chris

Audiobeer
09-12-2007, 07:57 PM
I'm in the middle of trying http://www.uship.com/
I listed the item (C51 Apollo's) I needed shipped and already got a hit from a reputable shipper. I accepted. We'll see what happens!

John W
09-13-2007, 07:47 AM
That looks like a great site. Please share your experience once things progress.
What category on the site did you use to request a bid? Household?

oldsoundz
09-13-2007, 10:23 AM
I'm in the middle of trying http://www.uship.com/
I listed the item (C51 Apollo's) I needed shipped and already got a hit from a reputable shipper. I accepted. We'll see what happens!

Thanks for the input. I will be crossing my fingers hoping the Apollo's make it in good condition.

Were they blanketed, or boxed?

00Robin
09-13-2007, 05:50 PM
My Leslie 122 made it just fine from Wyoming to Michigan triple blanketed. I was on pins and needles the entire time because the piano shipper did both the pianos,the baby grand and my Hammond B3,but he LEFT the Leslie and said it would be JUST FINE.
I had no faith whatsoever with that,but,I'll be,it was triple blanketed and strapped into place on the van with our furniture and it came without a hitch. And we took two entire trailers,one at a time to get everything here and it all came perfectly. And we had TONS of glass too. Glass tops for every dresser and table,etc....it all came just fine.
It was a shipper named(not kidding) Outlaw Red out of Sheridan Wyoming. He ships in every state and he's anywhere and everywhere when you call him,but the guy is there. And his Welsch Corgi named "Rooster" too!And he has about a ton of the heftiest scariest looking guys and they were like ballerinas with all of our stuff. I would give my word on Outlaw Red and his band of whoever they ares! I forgot..he even blanketed and shipped my Altecs,my BABIES,and they were blanketed and strapped in too. They were in their gigunda cabs of course,and they were gruntin' about the weight,but even my precious' came here and plugged in and were perfect.
I had NO faith in him,but I ate my words. He's a good man and he does it right.

UreiCollector
09-13-2007, 06:05 PM
I had called FeEx to ship a Urei 815, and they sent me to 'Craters and Freighters'....but they wanted $850 to ship it from St Louis to Upstate NY.

I did the drive instead, and only paid $300 in food and fuel.

If the piano mover doesn't pan out....plan a road trip with your son

i suckered dad into going with me. ha ha ha.

Audiobeer
09-14-2007, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the input. I will be crossing my fingers hoping the Apollo's make it in good condition.

Were they blanketed, or boxed?

I'll let you guys know how/or if the shipper works out. He's charging $250 to bring them to me blanketed & shrink wrapped.

Audiobeer
09-14-2007, 04:19 PM
That looks like a great site. Please share your experience once things progress.
What category on the site did you use to request a bid? Household?

It was listed under household. You have the option of listing the item for bids or listing it with a cap. I'm rolling the dice here. Wouldn't do it on a pair of L300s but what the heck.

oldsoundz
09-28-2007, 07:20 AM
Well the Leslie has arrived safely to it's new owner, and she seems very happy.

I ended up packing it myself, as I was able to save the buyer about $110.00 off of her cheapest quote for packing.( I think crater and freighters ). I mounted it to a board via the 2 holes already there for shipping. Then 2 1/2 inches of styrofoam everywhere else. The amp, motors, and tubes were all removed and packed separately.

Fedex carried the 3 packages, but I dropped them off. The cabinet was $130.00 and with the other 2 boxes it still cost only appx $180.00 to ship. Packing cost about $60.00 in material.

Somehow they delivered the cabinet on it's top, but did not manage to cause any damage. I guess it's a good thing I unloaded it for shipping.

Thanks to this forum for the input, and for the PACKING TUTORIAL, which has allowed me to ship with confidence, knowing the speakers will arrive alive.:applaud:

00Robin
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Glad to hear it oldsoundz. Its nice to find a buyer,but the U.S. IS a helluva big place and then,generally what we are selling OR buying is like fine crystal stemware to us,thus the fears of shipping without a hitch. It's a relief to hear all is well.
I've heard Two Guys and a Truck are good too. They go all over so sometimes it could be picked up a week before delivering,but they have really good prices.