PDA

View Full Version : D130

push pull
09-09-2007, 08:08 PM
Hello to everyone,

This is my first posting here which coinsides with my first JBL purchase.

I am now the proud owner of BIG ! DIY boxes containing 1 x D130 & 1 x 075 in each.

I have had a good listen to them and unfortunately one of the D130's doesn't seem to be working properly.
I know these drivers are rather shy of bass, but one of them is completely devoid of any low end.

It sounds almost as though the aluminium cap in the centre is all that is producing sound.

In case you haven't guessed, I am completely new to all things vintage JBL.
I was hoping that someone here could give some suggestions as to how to find out what is wrong with the driver, and what can be done to fix it.

Alternatively, should I return them to the seller and ask for my money back ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance......!

speakerdave
09-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Alternatively, should I return them to the seller and ask for my money back ?

That would depend on what is wrong and how much you paid.

It sounds almost as though the aluminium cap in the centre is all that is producing sound.

Are you sure there is ANY sound coming from it? I mean, are you hearing just the 075 on that side?

If the D130 on one side is completely silent try bypassing the crossover and hooking it up directly to your amp. When you pull the woofer (or remove the back of the cabinet) to do that, look over the wiring carefully.

David

JohnK
09-09-2007, 09:28 PM
Does the speaker make a rubbing/scratching sound if you move the cone in & out gently with your fingers?

push pull
09-10-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the replies guys,

I have done as you suggested and everything seems fine.

The D130 is definitely making sound.

No scratching when I move it.

The wiring is all really good condition and well soldered.

To try and describe the sound:

It sounds like when you play an old record that was recorded on a four track studio desk.
When the bass guitar only comes through the left channel, and you can hear it very faintly on the right channel.

This is the effect on all records, even new elecrtonic music that has equal bass on both left & right channels. The right channel is very very faint on the bass.

The only other possible factor could be the speaker cable I am using.
Because the terminals only allow very small gauge cable, I am using very old cable that has been lying around for years.
Two different brands of super cheap no name cable.

Can someone please suggest a decent quality small gauge speaker cable, so that I can take this unknown out of the equation.

Once again, thanks for the advice.

clubman
09-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Did you try runing the D130 Full range without the xover? How about a DC ohm reading using a ohm meter hooked to just the woofer. There is very little cone excursion with the D130s, I donno maybe there is something in the voice coil gap keeping it from moving, in that case you will never know until you pull the cone out of the basket. I would keep them. But I love the sound of D130s

Thom
09-11-2007, 09:43 PM
Have you tried swapping the two D130's or as was already suggested hooking the D130 up direct?