PDA

View Full Version : VRX series in Avignon

boputnam
09-09-2007, 02:33 AM
Cute little line arrays ready of the finish of the 10k this morning in Avignon. Clear, plenty loud and tidy!

Andyoz
09-09-2007, 04:34 AM
How many speakers do you need before it can be called a "line"-array? :)

I thought the whole theory behind line arrays were you needed a decent number of cabinets in a "line" to provide their key benefit, 3dB level drop per doubling of distance rather than the more typcical 6dB/doubling distance.

Titanium Dome
09-09-2007, 08:37 AM
Two, apparently. ;)

boputnam
09-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I thought the whole theory behind line arrays were you needed a decent number of cabinets in a "line" :no:

It's about the dispersion characteristics of the individual elements (drivers) combined in each cabinet. Wave guides are used to control dispersion.

Two, apparently. ;):no: There are two cabinets being used, but each cabinet performs with controlled dispersion, and with those dispersion characteristics can be combined with less deleterious comb filtering.

Line arrays have long throw, wide horizontal dispersion and narrow vertical dispersion (that is why the VRX here are vertically stacked). The VRX932LA has 100° by 15° dispersion, respectively. Basically, with the cabinets the way the are (horizontal), you can walk across the field with almost no noticeable comb filtering. Walking vertically you might get some, but it is far more controlled than with conventional boxes.

Read on here for the VRX series (http://jblpro.com/products/portablesound/vrx/) approach.

Andyoz
09-09-2007, 12:53 PM
Ah, I see they are marketed at the small to medium venues. Makes sense. I like the way the horn "slot" is continuous in the vertical plane.

I was getting at the larger line arrays that are so big they approximate a "line" source, hence the 3dB per doubling of distance (up to a point anyway).

I sometimes get the feeling that line arrays are mis-used in the smaller indoor venues though. Ever since they were developed, it's all some guys will use no matter what the application.

Titanium Dome
09-09-2007, 02:37 PM
:no:

:no:

Hey, it was a jest. You sound guys take everything too seriously. :p

boputnam
09-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Ah, I see they are marketed at the small to medium venues. Makes sense. I like the way the horn "slot" is continuous in the vertical plane.But it's vertical dispersion is quite "shallow" - it has a mere 15° spray. Pretty amazing...

I sometimes get the feeling that line arrays are mis-used in the smaller indoor venues though. Ever since they were developed, it's all some guys will use no matter what the application.Whoa... Agree, completely. That is why I appreciate those "brave" enough to deploy something like the ARCS. Line arrays are an astonishing technology, but like almost any new widget (sorry, dood! :duck: ) they are not a panacea. In many, many situations, if one gives the ARCS (for example) a try, they are a better solution.

You sound guys take everything too seriously. :pYea, well there is that! Chalk it up to persisting lack of proper sleep... :snore:

Mike Caldwell
09-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Hello
I have hung some of them in a few installs with the mating sub. they do sound very good with out a lot of effort!
The one church install had four per side with two subs, it rocks. Now the church sound operators that's a different story.

Mike Caldwell

Andyoz
09-10-2007, 04:51 AM
Whoa... Agree, completely. That is why I appreciate those "brave" enough to deploy something like the ARCS. Line arrays are an astonishing technology, but like almost any new widget (sorry, dood! :duck: ) they are not a panacea. In many, many situations, if one gives the ARCS (for example) a try, they are a better solution.

One of the most popular venues in Dublin (Vicar Street) uses a flown Meyer Melodie system. From what I can make out, it is a "mini" line array system with a wide (100 deg.) horiz dispersion. Have you even seen that one in action?

It seems everyone wants to use line arrays, and I personaly wouldn't with smaller venues, say less than 1,500 people.

boputnam
09-11-2007, 02:44 PM
Hi, Andy...

I have not personally run the Melodie. Being Meyer, it is sure to be darn good, but there is a growing amount of competition in this space. I think this relates to a "line array bubble", as you say, everyone wants to use line arrays. But there are many cabinet configurations to choose from...

My experience is line arrays have good applications and others where they are simply too much - they are too efficient to be run for +100dB at FOH, resulting in higher SPL's than are necessary for the entire venue. But, I am not as seasoned as those making venue decisions - I am merely a victim of my personal experience.

That said, I am also of the opinion that too many subs are contrary to a proper mix. Too many subs give the "oomph" the crowd thinks they want, and then the engineer must drive the mains harder to get the mix above the bass-coupling mud. I am a staunch advocate of reducing the subs and achieving a balanced mix at +90dB.

Mike Caldwell
09-11-2007, 04:42 PM
Hi, Andy...

I have not personally run the Melodie. Being Meyer, it is sure to be darn good, but there is a growing amount of competition in this space. I think this relates to a "line array bubble", as you say, everyone wants to use line arrays. But there are many cabinet configurations to choose from...

My experience is line arrays have good applications and others where they are simply too much - they are too efficient to be run for +100dB at FOH, resulting in higher SPL's than are necessary for the entire venue. But, I am not as seasoned as those making venue decisions - I am merely a victim of my personal experience.

That said, I am also of the opinion that too many subs are contrary to a proper mix. Too many subs give the "oomph" the crowd thinks they want, and then the engineer must drive the mains harder to get the mix above the bass-coupling mud. I am a staunch advocate of reducing the subs and achieving a balanced mix at +90dB.

YES
YES
YES

Mike Caldwell