PDA

View Full Version : JBL SVA 2100..replacement tweeters..?

retrog
09-08-2007, 02:52 PM
Hello..!

New member here and recently aquired a pair of these speakers. Really impressed with their sound, quantity and quality..:)

But, based on my appetite for high sound levels..:bouncy:..in case one of the Audax 1,5" tweeters give up..what replacements would be suitable..?
It's listed as discontinued on JBL's website, and the Audax factory closed it's doors this month..

Anyone tried anything else with good results..or maybe someone's sitting on a pair of tweeters willing to sell them..:)..?

Titanium Dome
09-08-2007, 03:52 PM
If it were an SVA1500, SVA1600, or SVA1800, this thread would help:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=17091&highlight=sva2100

Titanium Dome
09-08-2007, 04:04 PM
The SVA2100 is covered here. The specific Audax driver is linked to.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=8923&highlight=sva2100

As my good friend Zilch sarcastically points out, these are not compression drivers, but direct drivers. On the Audax Prestige TW034X0 page, the replacement voice coil/dome is identified as the RW034X0. You can find this part easily with a Google search.

Madisound still carries the complete driver.

http://www.madisound.com/audax.html

To mount the driver you have to remove the mounting flange and mount the driver direct to the back of the horn.

retrog
09-08-2007, 04:48 PM
Thanks for your replys..!
And you are sure it's the same driver..? It says 1,3" on Madisounds homepage while JBL states it's 1,5"..??

How did it go with your sub-project..? That will probably be my next step..:)

Valentin
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
it is the same driver
i had sva and i change one of my tweeters it is the same audax

Titanium Dome
09-11-2007, 06:00 PM
Thanks for your replys..!
And you are sure it's the same driver..? It says 1,3" on Madisounds homepage while JBL states it's 1,5"..??

How did it go with your sub-project..? That will probably be my next step..:)

Yes, it is the correct replacement.

duaneage
09-11-2007, 07:10 PM
And I would lay in a spare set before they are gone. Most retailers do not keep much inventory on had these days.

Zilch
09-11-2007, 11:11 PM
As my good friend Zilch sarcastically points out, these are not compression drivers, but direct drivers.Well, now being more knowledgeable about these matters, I believe the REAL issue is whether they are on waveguides or horns. :p

retrog
10-03-2007, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the help in this thread. I've now purchased enough voicecoils för the tweeters to last me a life time..I hope..:)
I also bought two more pairs of SVA 2100..:D

Now, I've seen that Harman has discontinued the bass/midrange for the SVA 1500/center as well..that makes me worried of course..

Anyone knows the origin of this driver..is it an Audax as well..part number..?
And what about the 1" tweeter..Audax too..??

Thanks,
CH

Titanium Dome
10-03-2007, 04:47 PM
Wow, that's a lot of 2100s. You can blow out your windows with them.

As for the SVA1500s, they have an Audax tweeter, too. If you can't find it, you can always replace a blown tweeter (and all the others at the same time probably) with the Ti dome available for the HT4H.

As for the 5.25" driver, that's tough. Buy some some SVA1500s, HT4Hs, or HT4Vs off ebay and harvest the drivers. :o:

retrog
10-04-2007, 04:59 AM
Yep, actually thinking about stacking them..:D

I found this tweeter on Madisound..isn't it the same as in SVA 1500 and the Center..??
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1109

They even have replacement voicecoils for the unit.

I looked on Audax site but couldn't find anything looking like the 5,25 mid/bass though..is this a "genuine" JBL-product then..?
And the 10" woofers in SVA 2100, are they made by JBL..??

Sorry, just want to find out as much as possible about my new babies..;)

BTW, using tubes to drive the front pair, a 2x75 watt Transcendent OTL type..NEVER runs out of steam..or rather, my ears give up before the amp..:D

Titanium Dome
10-04-2007, 07:08 AM
I've never had an SVA1500 apart, so I don't know about its woofers.

My SVA1800s have Aquaplased STUDIO8 drivers, and the SVA2100s have STAGE10 drivers, both from JBL.

MephistoMyHero
04-11-2011, 08:15 PM
Yep, actually thinking about stacking them..:D

I found this tweeter on Madisound..isn't it the same as in SVA 1500 and the Center..??
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1109

They even have replacement voicecoils for the unit.

I looked on Audax site but couldn't find anything looking like the 5,25 mid/bass though..is this a "genuine" JBL-product then..?
And the 10" woofers in SVA 2100, are they made by JBL..??

Sorry, just want to find out as much as possible about my new babies..;)

BTW, using tubes to drive the front pair, a 2x75 watt Transcendent OTL type..NEVER runs out of steam..or rather, my ears give up before the amp..:D

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but would anyone know if the above tweeter would work in the SVA series? The silk on my tweeters have deteriorted and I need to replace them. Would this replacement work?

https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=120&products_id=91

Thanks!

Der Snap
06-29-2017, 06:52 AM
Sorry for bringing back an old thread to life but hopefully some people can chime in here.

I have replacement tweeters I can order so no issue there but here is where my question(s) is:

a. Alternative drivers for the tweeters? I see the new 308 and 305 also use a soft dome but I couldn't find specifics. Perhaps an option?
b. I have here also the studio 5 series and they seem to have a bit better top end. From what I can tell they are using a compression driver instead of the silk dome. Correct me if I am wrong but do you think this could be an alternative.

c. The final question is what about using one of the newer better Comp drivers. D2 might be a bit pricey but there are similar drivers. Yes I understand the horn is different size so a D2 driver would not be ideally matched I guess.

For what it is worth I love these speakers and have worked with them for years in both the home theatre and actual music production. Most my mix downs (techno music) are done on these for the complete top to bottom sound picture. Only speakers I found that handle dynamics well where I can judge if there is too much compression, mix breaths, etc. They do lack a touch on the very last details of the top end though.

Greetings our of Germany!