PDA

View Full Version : Advice/ help needed for L-300 refoaming, etc.

jrebman
09-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Hello,

This is my first post here and I have read the rules so I hope I not posting this inappropriately.

I have a pair of L-300s in exceptionally good condition, and due to domestic issues :-), I need to find a new and good home for them, and I'm trying to decide just how much to do, and how to go about doing it, to get them ready for the next owner.

The basics: I am only the second owner of these, and while they have been played consistently over the years, they have relatively little time on them -- i.e. long periods of months between playings, and then for maybe a week at a time. They have also lived their entire lives in the dry climate of Colorado's Front Range.

The speakers were last played for a few minutes last year when I went to pick them up, and at that point the surrounds were intact. When lifting one of the speakers, the acoustic lens dislodged and fell within the grille poking 2 holes at the 5:00 and 7:00 positions of the surround, and they have not been played since for fear of causing a coil rub.

The cones are in absolutely fantastic condition so reconing is not appropriate or desired as I don't want to end up with an inferior substitute.

I guess my questions are this:

1.) Is it even advised to have the surrounds repaired, or is the most likely that the new owner is going to want to deal with that for himself?

2.) If it is advisable to do the refoaming, is there any particular shops that stand out as highly reputable (and won't snatch my original cones/VC, etc.?

3.) Is there anything else that should be done - as I said, they were played and sounded just fine about a year ago, and they have been kept wrapped in stretch wrap to keep them clean, dust free, etc. ever since then.

Again, I hope I didn't post anything inappropriate here but my knowledge of vintage JBL speakers is just enough to be dangerous.

Thanks for any help,

Jim R.
Boulder, CO

Audiobeer
09-07-2007, 10:12 PM
Let the new owner do the job. Send me a PM with your asking price. Or you could list on Ebay and get top dollar with a little work.

Titanium Dome
09-08-2007, 08:42 AM
Let the new owner do the job. Send me a PM with your asking price. Or you could list on Ebay and get top dollar with a little work.

I agree. Let the new owner worry about it, unless he/she specifically asks you to get the repairs done. Then, get the money up front.

Send me a PM with your asking price, plus one dollar. :p (Just kidding, Audiobeer. I don't need them.)

jrebman
11-05-2007, 01:43 PM
Gentlemen,

Sorry, for some reason my email notification wasn't working, so I did not see these replies until just now.

Audiobeer, not sure how to get in touch with you -- I click on your name but nothing happens. I'm guessing because I'm new, I'm still under moderation, so can't contact members directly.

If you're still interested, I should be getting pictures back anyday now.

Hopefully I have things set correctly now so that I get email notifications.

Thanks,

Jim

BMWCCA
11-05-2007, 02:22 PM
No, they've all dropped out of consideration and I'm your man! ;)

Seriously, that's good advice since most anyone bidding on this stuff knows what it takes to refoam them. Personally I'd have them perfect before trying to get top dollar, and get some darn good photos to show it even if that means paying someone a little to shoot them. I'm so tired of seeing Ebay auctions for stuff that say, "3-Piece BBS RS wheels with light road rash that should buff right out," accompanied by cell-phone blurry photos. So, buff 'em already! "A few nicks easily touched-up." So, touch-em up! Sheesh.

I wish I were closer to you. I've wanted a set of L300s since they came out but I won't buy anything that expensive sight-unseen or trust anyone to ship them intact. When the right set happens within driving distance, they'll get the best home possible——even if I have to take away Heather's knees to get them! :duel:

hjames
11-05-2007, 02:30 PM
Behave - we're headed down your way Saturday - but just a quick daytrip ...
'sides, I'm not after any L-treehunnerts

Opi to the North of me, Phil to the south ...! Hiyahh!

No, they've all dropped out of consideration and I'm your man! ;)

I wish I were closer to you. I've wanted a set of L300s since they came out but I won't buy anything that expensive sight-unseen or trust anyone to ship them intact. When the right set happens within driving distance, they'll get the best home possible——even if I have to take away Heather's knees to get them! :duel: