PDA

View Full Version : Any L212 experts?

toddyaudio
09-07-2007, 09:07 AM
I have 2 different sets (2 pair) of L212s, my plans are to use one mid/hi set with 2 ultra-subs and part out the other mid/hi set. It seems that JBL made 2 different models and I have both. One set uses alnico mags on the 8" woofer and the upper mids (LE5's) have an inverted fiber dust cap, I didn't remove the upper mids to get the exact model #. The other set has the ceramic mags on the 8" woofers and the mids have an aluminum dustcap. Since all 4 of the woofers need to be refoamed I have not yet listened to the speakers BUT would like to know which is the more desirable/better sounding woofer/mid set. I only plan on refoaming (or reconing) 1 set of woofers and would like to know which ones to repair. I did a search but could not find any information regarding the 2 different variations of the L212. TIA for any help.
Todd

Robh3606
09-07-2007, 10:06 AM
The newer drivers are the ferrites. With those woofers you shouldn't have to worry about demag on alnico's so they should be OK for the 8" drivers. The voice coils are underhung and cannot generate a field strong enough to demag the alnico. I won't get into the alnico/ferrite debate. If it were me I would keep the ferrites with the newer SFG motor which has lower distortion levels and part out the alnico's.

Rob:)

57BELAIRE
09-07-2007, 10:11 AM
The LE5-9's in both units have ferrite magnets.

If the mid-bass drivers are in fully functional, I would refoam, not recone the 112's, as kits for this unit would be difficult if not impossible to find.

It seems a shame to part out these beauties...I'd try to sell as a
pair first.

As for which sounds better....only your ears can tell you that.

MJC
09-07-2007, 10:47 AM
There are no recone kits for the 112. The last pair of 112s I sent in for repair I was only able to get the surrounds replaced.
All my L212s have the 112A so I can't give a comparision to the 112H.
But using two subs instead of one, as originally designed, is much better.
As far as having two complete sets, the L212 3-ways make very good HT satellites, almost as good as the newer PT800.