PDA

View Full Version : Member's who have passed away.

edgewound
09-05-2007, 12:38 PM
This is particularly for the moderators.

I was just reading a post that was replied to after 3 years of dormancy, and I was a little disturbed that the previous poster was Tom Loizeaux.

It would be awkward for a newer member to send a PM or reply to posts of someone such as Tom who has passed away....and waiting for a response.

Here's my question. Is it possible to notate a late member's profile stating that they are no longer with us in life? I'm sure it's not an easy task to keep up with or even know how many members are indeed deceased, but I think it would be appropriate to note the profiles of those that are knowingly gone.

Thanks for considering this topic.

grumpy
09-05-2007, 12:53 PM
I agree. I've PM'd several folks over the years to let them know not to wait for a response
or get impatient and say something they'll likely regret. A Custom User Title entry would
seem a reasonable way to convey this somewhat sensitive information. People would
still miss it, but it might cut down on one form of unfortunate/misplaced noise.

Perhaps a date span might be appropriate (if known)? How to convey this with a sense
of honor and dignity is worth thinking about first...

Perhaps last used "Title" preceded by "Former" -and- a date span... or... ???

-grumpy

Harvey Gerst
09-05-2007, 02:51 PM
Geez guys,

I'm 70 years old; I don't wanna hear about that stuff.:(

scott fitlin
09-05-2007, 04:23 PM
I have an idea. Maybe the administrators could disable a deceased members PM,s, and leave a loving and polite note in his avatar or signature, along the lines of "Our dear departed friend and eternal member"?

If people read something like that most people would know, and IMO, Tom Loizuex may be gone, but he will always be a Lansing Heritage Member and someone many people really liked.

My 2 cents. :)

boputnam
09-05-2007, 05:28 PM
Maybe the administrators could disable a deceased members PM's...Possibly, but we know that in the case of Tom, his family really enjoyed reading the comments in all his threads, and particularly those of a eulogy nature, posthumously. I doubt the pm's would be of much interest, but who knows.

...and leave a loving and polite note in his avatar or signature, along the lines of "Our dear departed friend and eternal member"?That might be a little odd.

However, this is certainly something meriting thought, IMO.

Thom
09-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Just the tiniest of eulogies might accomplish this and be a class act.

JBL 4645
09-06-2007, 01:58 PM
This a real downer :( and now I’m getting depressed, I’m sorry so sorry to hear about the passing of a member who has come to share with others.

Maron Horonzakz
09-07-2007, 06:47 AM
I,m getting up there in years too but I dont think any one here would care for my absence;)

spkrman57
09-07-2007, 07:11 AM
But I agree with Harvey!

Ron

Geez guys,

I'm 70 years old; I don't wanna hear about that stuff.:(

Robh3606
09-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Maybe we can just put a note on the profile that the member is no longer active on the forum??

Rob:)

grumpy
09-07-2007, 10:40 AM
Isn't that how this thread started? :blink: It doesn't seem like it could possibly be that hard. If it is,
maybe we should let this -thread- die, and just respond to uninformed users when appropriate, like we have been.

edgewound
09-07-2007, 12:44 PM
Isn't that how this thread started? :blink: It doesn't seem like it could possibly be that hard. If it is,
maybe we should let this -thread- die, and just respond to uninformed users when appropriate, like we have been.

I guess my idea was impractical.

We all will die sometime...some sooner...some later.

But....The Lansing Heritage lives on.

Titanium Dome
09-08-2007, 08:28 AM
I think the informal route is best. Let those who find such a situation contact the new member by PM and let him or her know.

Dear PolyPlas, I regret to inform you that Be435 passed away and will not be responding to your post.

That seems a low key, appropriate way to handle it.

----------------------------------

As for me, I have an auto-response so vulgar and offensive ready to go that if I die (and no one notices), it'll auto-post and I'll be banned for life, which technically would be impossible to do.

I've studied the many great posts that flame across the forums as the dying rage of doomed members, so it's got to be a corker to be remembered.

It will be legendary!

edgewound
09-08-2007, 02:34 PM
As for me, I have an auto-response so vulgar and offensive ready to go that if I die (and no one notices), it'll auto-post and I'll be banned for life, which technically would be impossible to do.

:applaud: :rotfl:

That's very funny....

Imagine...being banned for after-life too:blink:

boputnam
09-09-2007, 03:34 PM
As for me, I have an auto-response so vulgar and offensive ready to go that if I die (and no one notices), it'll auto-post...Yea, but can you please have it stop, for now...? :rotfl:

:p

Krunchy
09-09-2007, 04:05 PM
:applaud: :rotfl:
Imagine...being banned for after-life too:blink:
Stop it, you guys are killing me! :D

timc
09-18-2007, 10:20 AM
:applaud::applaud::applaud:

Falling of my chair here.

Rolf
09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
I do not think this is a funny thread. I would like the forum members to know the time I m not here anymore.

That is why I have written my name and password in a "little book" that among other things, says to tell to you all.

I hope it will be some time for that, but one never knows.

Krunchy
09-18-2007, 05:41 PM
I do not think this is a funny thread. I would like the forum members to know the time I m not here anymore.

That is why I have written my name and password in a "little book" that among other things, says to tell to you all.

Hi Rolf,
Please know that no disrespect was intended to this thread or its subject matter and I am sorry that you were offended by some of the tom-foolery displayed herein. I think that Edge has brought up a very valid point, it is a serious topic worthy of the attention and input of us all. Harvey Gerst is 70 and I can understand where he is coming from, I am in my forties, but both out ages are really inconsequential to a ceratin point. I am not going to wax philosophically here but to tell you the truth I was surprised that this thread has not gotten more feedback from the active members here. The subject may be a little bit too morbid for some of us. Who knows, some people might not want to even think about the subject at all. Your Idea of the "little book" that contains your name and password to this site is a very very good one, I had thought of something along those lines a couple of weeks before Edge started the tread. In either case I think some sort of plan of action should be respectfully considered.
Just because we are discussing death doesnt mean we cant poke a little fun at it along the way does it?
I'm thinking Woody Allen with "Grimmy" in Love & Death.

Regards :)

Fred

Rolf
09-19-2007, 01:07 AM
I agree with you Krunchy, in the matter of speaking and joking about life and death. This topic is probably one of the most joked about, and I don't see any reason why we should not joke a little about it. One thing in certain, we are all going to die.

I am not offended by any of the statements in this thread, just wanted to speak my meaning.

And yes, in our life today, with all of the necessary computer passwords, I believe having a "note book" telling the ones that comes after us what to do is necessary. How else will they know what to do about it? I keep mine in a safe deposit box together with other items (in my bank) and I upgrade it when necessary.

We are in different ages here on the forum. As I can "read it" most of us are well grown up people. You are right that some don't even want to think about, and are far away from talking about death. But this is a part of life we all should do something about.

I have no plan of dying for many years, but to accept that I someday will, and making preparations for that day, I believe is a wise thing to do.

By the way ... I "hate" Woody Allen. When he, or one of his movies are shown on TV I almost "kill" the remote to change channel.:o:

Krunchy
09-19-2007, 05:47 AM
By the way ... I "hate" Woody Allen. When he, or one of his movies are shown on TV I almost "kill" the remote to change channel.:o:

Hi Rolf,
I have noticed that people either love or hate Woody, that in itself is funny to me. How about Monty Python's the meaning of life, when death comes-a-knocking. :montyp:
I saw this cartoon somewhere (Gahan Wilson?) and will try to convey it in words, I appologise in advance if it comes off lame, I was never good at telling jokes.....The Grimm Reaper walks into a fancy cosmopolitan
restaurant scythe in hand, the maitre "d" notices him and is instantly made very uneasy by his appearence, Mr. Reaper calmly addreses him with, "relax, I just want a good table!" :D

Getting back on topic (we were off topic?)
It seems like there are two options, one is that the
administrators/moderators address this in some fashion, the other is that we all set up some sort of personal system of our own desing ala T-Dome's or Rolf's.

???

Docspeakers
09-21-2007, 01:10 PM
Hmm, how about an OLDEST member list? I'll be 81 in January... I'm sure I'll be here soon,, but hopefully not too soon..

Rolf
09-21-2007, 04:17 PM
Hmm, how about an OLDEST member list? I'll be 81 in January... I'm sure I'll be here soon,, but hopefully not too soon..
You say, has my respect. 81, still interested in JBL.

One of my family just past away was 92. Still he was upgoing. I miss him so much,

Docspeakers
09-21-2007, 08:20 PM
I have had more speaker systems come through my home than anyone would probably imagine... Not all were JBL, but many were, had a lot of Altecs too.. I have enjoyed viewing the information in the library section, some of the articles brought back a lot of memories.

I have viewed these forums for the past few months, just didn't know how to set up an account till my grandson helped me. If anyone has any questions about some older Altec/JBL speakers, chances are I'll have something to say.. I've heard just about all of them.. My interest in the hobby sorta stopped in the 70's and I got rid of a lot of things, but luckily I have kept some of them, and didn't know that anyone cared about all this old gear... which I have to admit I still have a lot of. Never got into the black boxes of the 80's and really don't know much about anything newer.. but am always willing to learn more... whats the point to life without the potential to learn something new? But I may be hard to change, as I'm sorta set in my ways and don't totally understand what all the hype is all about with a lot of this newer gear.

I am retired and have plenty of time to share old memories with those interested., just go easy on an Old Man, I'm not too good on a computer.

Rolf
09-21-2007, 10:20 PM
I have had more speaker systems come through my home than anyone would probably imagine... Not all were JBL, but many were, had a lot of Altecs too.. I have enjoyed viewing the information in the library section, some of the articles brought back a lot of memories.

I have viewed these forums for the past few months, just didn't know how to set up an account till my grandson helped me. If anyone has any questions about some older Altec/JBL speakers, chances are I'll have something to say.. I've heard just about all of them.. My interest in the hobby sorta stopped in the 70's and I got rid of a lot of things, but luckily I have kept some of them, and didn't know that anyone cared about all this old gear... which I have to admit I still have a lot of. Never got into the black boxes of the 80's and really don't know much about anything newer.. but am always willing to learn more... whats the point to life without the potential to learn something new? But I may be hard to change, as I'm sorta set in my ways and don't totally understand what all the hype is all about with a lot of this newer gear.

I am retired and have plenty of time to share old memories with those interested., just go easy on an Old Man, I'm not too good on a computer.

You are welcome to the forum. (Is that right said?)

edgewound
09-22-2007, 01:14 PM

Welcome the Forum, Doc.

You've already proven your worth to me, here. Before you become computer literate, you must become literate, and it's clear to me that you are. Probably before most of us here were born. I look forward to your bringing your years of wisdom to share with us.

Post away in good health and good humor.:applaud::D:)

Steve Schell
09-22-2007, 02:25 PM
I agree with the others... Docspeakers, you are most welcome here. Please post when you can. A survey of some of the speakers you have owned over the years and your impressions of them would make for fascinating reading.

As for the Grim Reaper, I was shocked recently to hear that a 57 year old acquiaintance had died in July. Seems he was diabetic, developed an infection in his foot and procrastinated seeking treatment until he was in really bad shape. He fell into a coma on the way to the hospital and died the next day from kidney and liver failure. Such a shame! He was highly intelligent, an accomplished audio circuit and recording engineer. It wouldn't hurt to share this story with other diabetics; those infections are serious business.

John
09-22-2007, 06:22 PM
Steve I wonder if he waited too long because he did not have Medical Insurance???:hmm:

I hope not, but I have heard tales of this before. :(

I Do not want to start left wing, right wing debate here but really something needs to change in the U.S.A. :o:

Harvey Gerst
09-22-2007, 06:33 PM
Perhaps when one of the members here passes away, we could have one of the moderators simply change the title (underneath the name) to reflect the member's lifetime.

Mine would be read, for example:

Harvey Gerst
1937-2007

It would be a simple way to honor a deceased member in a very quiet way, yet note they were no longer with us.

Note: I have absolutely NO intention of passing away this year; this was only an example of how it could be done.

00Robin
09-22-2007, 06:47 PM
When my darling Grandpa passed away,I sold my bigger home and moved into his. It was something I did NOT want to do,but my parents felt it was best financially at the time. I really drug my heels over it.
Well,having his home with every single thing,every drawerful of ever minute gadget nut or bolt or whatever and his Mohair sweaters,which I still wear when its cold ended up being the sweetest gift a granddaughter could EVER imagine. And that spring,his bulb garden began to bloom and I saw,by every tenderloin in the freezer and all his martini shakers and crystal glassaes and all the dusty goodies in his garage that I was the beholder of one of my dearset men's things I held and hold still dear to my heart. All of his library and all 12 different and unbelieveable dictionaries. Books,records, a KLH turntable in wood with,get this, 12 new stylus to always be prepared. His wd-40 collection of extenders that magically ended up in his pocket and in a drawer of a giant wooden desk from the Eames era with chrome legs. I think he had a great fear of never having enough extenders. I think the local hardware was on to him too.
But my point is...with Grandpa and my even MORE darling Daddy, a WWII vet,the first into Hiroshima and Nagasaki as it still burned,were two men I adored and every single nut and widget and plane and drill,be it the hand held variety(God,with that GIANT wooden hand thing) or a cordless they sat on the shelf to collect dust("Isn't really worth a damn")are the loving memories of what the collected and held dear and all the great fix it and building advice a lady could ever want.
THATS how I feel about you guys. I get to listen in on your short lined coffee breaked or beer dranked influence and education about the love of sound. And that is a present not enough people will ever get to enjoy. And I love being allowed to learn. Quietly,or quieter,so maybe it will sink in.

Titanium Dome
09-22-2007, 09:46 PM
Nicely written.

Rolf
09-23-2007, 12:15 AM
To 00Robin.

Do you, like me, sometimes feel like he (she) is in the room or house?

Krunchy
09-23-2007, 08:53 AM
Welcome to the forum Doc! :)
We are glad to have you here. This place can be a lot of fun and there are a lot of very nice people here, all in all a great place. Take your time and dont worry about that computer, we look forward to hearing from you,

Fred

Oldmics
09-26-2007, 07:45 AM
I to saw the dorment post.

It was a bit unusual to see,but considering that posted information really has an infinate life span its good to see Toms thoughts still being discussed.

I suggest that the Moderators create a new icon honoring those who have shared there time here and gone on.

I was thinking of a small eternal flame icon that would be added to all of the deceased members posts.Rolling over the icon could bring up a member deceased notation.

This sorta fits all religions and hopefully would not irritate anyone.

Thoughts???

Oldmics

00Robin
09-26-2007, 08:24 AM
To 00Robin.

Do you, like me, sometimes feel like he (she) is in the room or house?
No doubt about it. It's a comfort,never a fear either. He's ALWAYS there. I still drive his 20 year old Cadillac too. 50.000 on it.
Any time,and I got them for about three years,I got a call or a card,I ALWAYS took the time to write whoever to tell them Grandpa had passed away. It was awful sweet too. He was just all covered up in bed,not a mussed up blanket or anything. Just passed in his sleep with his little dog Shelley in bed with him.
Daddy knew because when he took the mail over and to share a pot of Joe,Shelley,his dog, was still in bed and wouldn't come to the door. So Daddy just removed the hinges and called the coroner.
But ,yes,even though now I'm in my Dad's home now,and he passed about two years ago,I still have his favorite table with the slate top and a million little drawers next to his ANCIENT and super thick leather chair with brass tacks on giant casters. All his little goodies are all there,and believe me,I dig through there every day for something,some nut or a certain glue.or double sided tape,you name it...he's there,and I get to sink into that 55 year old creased and button tucked black THICK leather chair and footstool. Every night,with his Tole lamp lit with a green bulb,"for ambiance" he told me. His hat with the phaesant feather hatband still perches on the coatrack by the milk can of canes and bats and a weird cane with a long knife in the bottom. His famous sawed off 22,barely(not)legal. He always said "just let'em have it through the door! But brace it against your hip and aim low,you'll hit'em on the upswing!"

Nah,this is how its supposed to be. Lonely and missing him,but no pain and so gentlemanly. Wrapped in a wool Pendleton Robe in the winter,too. I probably look like a crazy lady,but I still have his lighter and the last pack of cigs in the pockets. I love the smell.
And Little Walther is slid on my side by the cushion,where he's been as long as I can remember. And music has always been our best friends.

Rolf
09-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Today, Sept 26 I am sorry to tell you a bad story, just have to. On the10th (Sept) a "close" member of my family past away.

The 21st the father of a good friend or my passed away.

The same day, (21st) a very good friend from the childhood/young days passed away. He was only 54.

I am sorry to write this, but feel I have to.

Tomorrow is my friends burial.

It's a hard time. Love you all.

edgewound
09-26-2007, 01:01 PM
Any time,and I got them for about three years,I got a call or a card,I ALWAYS took the time to write whoever to tell them Grandpa had passed away.

00Robin,

Your last couple of post are very poingnant. I share many of your feelings from my dad's passing going on 5 years ago in December. I bought his house...the house I grew up in, that now houses three + generations of stuff...furniture, collectibles, keepsakes, etc.

That part that infuriates me is the part that I quoted from you. I have called, written, yelled, cussed, screamed...and now I just laugh...at the incompetence and downright ignoring of the fact that I have let every caller and mailing list sender know that my mother, father, grandmother and grandfather that they are all dead and to please stop calling for them and stop sending pre-approved credit card offers to them. My mom has been gone for 25 years and she still gets credit card offers in the mail. Same with my grandfather who has been dead since 1972...and he has never lived at this address. My dad's college alma mater still hasn't taken him off the list of the living after speaking with them and wrtining to them more than once.

That's why I started this thread. Let's let the passed not have to worry about unfinished and/or new business in this dimension....there isn't a forwarding address for the post office....they have enough trouble with the ones here already.

edgewound
09-26-2007, 01:03 PM
Tomorrow is my friends burial.

It's a hard time. Love you all.

Peace and tranquility to you, Rolf, at this difficult time.

boputnam
09-26-2007, 01:23 PM
It's a hard time. Gee whiz, Rolf - that is terrible.

A toast to the good memory of your friendships...

00Robin
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Edgewound,your name tells our story. And Rolf...So many people. My best bud's sister's husband felt sick and on the way to the hospital,3 whole miles,he died in her lap. We finished that memorial a week ago.
All I or we can say is TREASURE our time. Love the music. Play with the stuff and keep on. My Daddy also has a HUGE antique toy collection from the 30's until about '78. Lots of German clockwork toys that really shift and run with sensors so they won't fall off a table. But my favorites are the Tonkas fom the late 50's to early 70's. I have THOUSANDS to disperse someday.
Until we all meet,keep it up. The music is our souls.

Titanium Dome
09-26-2007, 03:32 PM
Rolf

Sorry to hear of your losses.

Krunchy
09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
Hi Rolf,
My sincere condolences for all your recent loss. :(

Fred

hjames
09-26-2007, 05:24 PM
Sorry for your grief and pain.
May it go more gently with you.

timc
09-27-2007, 01:45 AM
I'm sorry for your losses Rolf. You have my deepest sympathy.

-Tim

Rolf
09-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Thanks for all the kind words my friends. But we just have to go on, taking with us all the good memories from those past away.

A little story at the end of this: My friend bought a pair of L16 together with a Luxman receiver in the 70's. He was using the system right to the end.

00Robin
09-29-2007, 05:44 AM
awwww. I loved those big ole Lux's. Time does heal,although I never believed it would. It does,but there are good days and bad days. I hope you let your bad days turn into the good.

The music will heal that torn soul.

kingjames
09-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Sorry Rolf for you're loss.Childhood friends are the hardest to let go of as I know from experience.

In times like these I have always found music to be a good friend indeed. Even today there are a few pieces of music that when I listen to them they still give me goosebumps.

Rolf
09-29-2007, 10:28 PM
Sorry Rolf for you're loss.Childhood friends are the hardest to let go of as I know from experience.

In times like these I have always found music to be a good friend indeed. Even today there are a few pieces of music that when I listen to them they still give me goosebumps.

I have done the same over the past week(s). Listening to music that means something. Sometimes with tears in my face.

Rolf
09-29-2007, 10:30 PM
awwww. I loved those big ole Lux's. Time does heal,although I never believed it would. It does,but there are good days and bad days. I hope you let your bad days turn into the good.

The music will heal that torn soul.

This is not a big Luxman. A 30-60W ore something. Sounded good on the L16 anyway.

00Robin
09-30-2007, 08:09 AM

yup. I've even had a song come on the radio out of the blue in the middle of the interstate between Sheridan and Billings...no traffic,so I pulled over,turned it up and I danced,and I cried as hard as I danced until I wore myself out. It was a good 10 minutes before one lone truck went by across the other way.
I'm having one of those days today....time heals,but the pain comes back even heavier some days. Except I'm in Michigan.:banghead:

MJ Bing
09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
Harvey

Please don"t check you suit in untill I"ve had a chance
to come up and visit with you. :D

Michael

Harvey Gerst
09-30-2007, 06:35 PM
Harvey

Please don"t check you suit in until I"ve had a chance to come up and visit with you. :D

Michael,

I have no intention of cashing in any time soon. I AM planning on going out in the RV more, and taking the boat out a lot more. And I'm still very active as a recording engineer and designer.

mikezcar
10-22-2007, 06:10 PM
Michael,

I have no intention of cashing in any time soon. I AM planning on going out in the RV more, and taking the boat out a lot more. And I'm still very active as a recording engineer and designer.

I am in Little Rock, Arkansas, next time you fire up the RV and "Head East" (vague music reference) come by and see me. We'll plug in the RV, I'll fire up the grill and we can sit around drinking coffe, tea or whiskey and swap stories.
Just drop me a line when it's time.

Mike

Titanium Dome
10-24-2007, 11:52 AM
Yesterday at 11:00 AM I celebrated six years of surviving a heart attack. Inasmuch as I expected to be dead within seconds, it's great to be alive. A couple of Bayer Aspirin and a trip to the Kaiser Permanente emergency room put me right, and six days later I was out of intensive care and almost able to walk to the bathroom again. :banana:

Think of everything I would have missed here (and all that you could have avoided) had the tide turned against me. Well, when I do become a topic for this thread, here are some paraphrased words from Laura Nyro that the mods can put up:

And when I die, and when I'm gone
there'll be, one JBL child born
in this world
to carry on, to carry on

(Of course Blood, Sweat, and Tears made it famous.)

It's my job to see that there's a JBL child or two following behind me. Like most of you, I've been working on it, and that's the best legacy for the site: two members who dig Lansing Heritage to replace me. :dancin: :dancin:

loach71
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
Yesterday at 11:00 AM I celebrated six years of surviving a heart attack. Inasmuch as I expected to be dead within seconds, it's great to be alive. A couple of Bayer Aspirin and a trip to the Kaiser Permanente emergency room put me right, and six days later I was out of intensive care and almost able to walk to the bathroom again. :banana:

Think of everything I would have missed here (and all that you could have avoided) had the tide turned against me. Well, when I do become a topic for this thread, here are some paraphrased words from Laura Nyro that the mods can put up:

in this world
to carry on, to carry on

It's my job to see that there's a JBL child or two following behind me. Like most of you, I've been working on it, and that's the best legacy for the site: two members who dig Lansing Heritage to replace me. :dancin: :dancin:

Sage words - well spoken...

JBL 4645
10-25-2007, 03:43 AM

in this world
to carry on, to carry on

What JBL clones?

I read a little on page 3 but couldn’t read anymore because I get very sensitive to certain mellow dramatic words, and I start to get depressed. :( So I moved on to page 4.

Peace. :)

tomt
03-01-2020, 10:01 PM
On a lighter note,

There are things we can do,

To lengthen our time here,

With less ill health.

Carbon 60 molecules are proving to assist,

In better health -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OX3nL_LoWJs&app=desktop