PDA

View Full Version : Stand for DD66000

Hoerninger
09-04-2007, 08:46 AM
For the taller owners of the New Everest there is offered a stand:
http://artcrew.sblo.jp/article/3407652.html

http://artcrew.sakura.ne.jp/sblo_files/artcrew/image/ac-dd66000.jpg

In case of usage ;) I would miss a place for amp /crossover inside.

glen
09-04-2007, 02:29 PM
$10,000 stands!
. . .
Now where was that concrete block thread ?

MJC
09-04-2007, 06:41 PM
What a joke. When most people are sitting, as in listening to music, their ears will be at about the same elevation above the floor. Most of the difference between a short person and a tall person is in the length of their legs, so when sitting, the length of ones legs makes no difference.
If I could afford the DD66000s I wouldn't screw up the masterpiece by elevating the woofers, higher than GT intended.

Rolf
09-05-2007, 12:44 PM
What a joke. When most people are sitting, as in listening to music, their ears will be at about the same elevation above the floor. Most of the difference between a short person and a tall person is in the length of their legs, so when sitting, the length of ones legs makes no difference.
If I could afford the DD66000s I wouldn't screw up the masterpiece by elevating the woofers, higher than GT intended.

So much you have missed in your way to musical nirvana.

I agree in the US$ 10.000, if that is the price, but using the right stands for different equipment can cost you less that changing an amp or a player.

MJC
09-05-2007, 04:32 PM
So much you have missed in your way to musical nirvana.

I agree in the US$ 10.000, if that is the price, but using the right stands for different equipment can cost you less that changing an amp or a player.
The DD66000 is built the way it should be, so why would I want to put them on a stand that is not needed?

Zilch
09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
They were on stands for the Tokyo introduction demos, as I recall, with casters.

[That'd be a $2000 upcharge option.... :D ]

RKLee
09-05-2007, 08:54 PM
For people who have more cents than brains.

Rolf
09-06-2007, 01:23 AM
The DD66000 is built the way it should be, so why would I want to put them on a stand that is not needed?

Not true. Let's take the large vintage monitors. There are lot's of posts on the forum that owners agree that they must be put on stands to perform their best. In studios they are placed everywhere, on shelf's, in wall mounting, hanging from the ceiling, but they are rarely put directly on the floor.

timc
09-06-2007, 02:39 AM
I have to agree with Rolf on this one. :)

-Tim-

Hoerninger
09-06-2007, 06:25 AM
Recollecting Tokyo - stand, cable, diffusor.
Wheels - with and without.

Maron Horonzakz
09-06-2007, 06:33 AM
Its cheaper to slouch on the couch or double the cushions:D

Rolf
09-06-2007, 06:44 AM
For people who have more cents than brains.

Maybe ... for some. I don't agree in that a stand must cost $10.000. But a stand will cost something, regardless if you make it yourself. The price for what is made of is the lowest cost, and you do the work yourself.

For me, the cost of bringing my speakers to the optimal position is about US$200. It is a 30mm board made from beech and 4 solid wheels pr speaker. It is made so that the corners is 90 deg and the speakers is at "the right distance" from the walls, and the angle is 10 deg centered towards the listening position.

So ... stands for US$10.000? not for me, but maybe for some.

Titanium Dome
09-06-2007, 08:25 AM
For that price, you could make adjustable stands to get that customized height you need. Get ten thousand US $1 bills and divide them into six stacks of 1,666 bills each.

Spend the extra four dollars.

Put three stacks under each speaker (one at each front corner and one at the rear).

Remove an equal number of dollars from each front stack until the front is at the proper height for your special situation. Then, add or subtract enough $1 bills from the rear stack to raise or lower the front angle to your liking.

Spend the left over money, or put it back in the bank.

Now, any time you need to raise the speakers, it will only cost you a few dollars, and if you need to lower them, you'll be making money.

Rolf
09-06-2007, 09:17 AM
Very well TD, but what about all orther equipment? They also need to be put on something.

Hoerninger
09-06-2007, 09:18 AM
For that price, ... , you'll be making money.
Very comprehensive description, easy to follow.;)

Steve Schell
09-06-2007, 11:11 AM
One aspect to consider is the frequency of the floor bounce cancellation. At whatever frequency the additional path length from the woofers to the floor and back up to the listener's ears equals a half wavelength, there will be a noticeable (and measurable) hole in the response at the listening position due to phase cancellation. If the additional path is 2' the hole will be at 282Hz.; if the additional path is 4' (higher woofers) the hole is moved down to 141Hz.

It would be nice to keep woofers close enough to the floor that the effect is almost eliminated, or perhaps high enough in frequency to be outside the woofer's passband. On the other hand many listeners prefer a system that images at or above ear level. I like to use midbass horns that exhaust at the floor; this pretty much eliminates the floor bounce.

MJC
09-06-2007, 04:06 PM
Not true. Let's take the large vintage monitors. There are lot's of posts on the forum that owners agree that they must be put on stands to perform their best. In studios they are placed everywhere, on shelf's, in wall mounting, hanging from the ceiling, but they are rarely put directly on the floor.
The DD66000 is NOT a monitor, it is far superior, And as far as the pics of it sitting on a base with castors, get real, the DD66000 is 300lb, they're sitting on castors at the show so they can be moved around.

MJC
09-06-2007, 04:10 PM
Very well TD, but what about all orther equipment? They also need to be put on something.
What does other equipment sitting on stands have to do with the DD66000 sitting on $10K stands, nothing!
I don't have ANY equipment sitting on the floor, just speakers.

MJC
09-06-2007, 04:13 PM
One aspect to consider is the frequency of the floor bounce cancellation. At whatever frequency the additional path length from the woofers to the floor and back up to the listener's ears equals a half wavelength, there will be a noticeable (and measurable) hole in the response at the listening position due to phase cancellation. If the additional path is 2' the hole will be at 282Hz.; if the additional path is 4' (higher woofers) the hole is moved down to 141Hz.

It would be nice to keep woofers close enough to the floor that the effect is almost eliminated, or perhaps high enough in frequency to be outside the woofer's passband. On the other hand many listeners prefer a system that images at or above ear level. I like to use midbass horns that exhaust at the floor; this pretty much eliminates the floor bounce.
Exactly my thoughts. Don't even try to out guess GT. None of us are in his league, when it comes to designing speakers.

Hoerninger
09-06-2007, 04:35 PM
What does other equipment sitting on stands have to do with the DD66000 sitting on $10K stands, nothing!
I don't have ANY equipment sitting on the floor, just speakers.
Humor?
Some people do even have stands for cables - mentioned in this forum before not meaning Titanium Domes post here. ;)

Flour bounce cancellation should be considered seriously.

MJC
09-06-2007, 05:14 PM
Some things in the audio world are just plain snake oil.
Like, $100,000 TT, $1500 interconnects, AC line conditioners, stands for floorstanding speakers.