PDA

View Full Version : Mini Monitors on the Mend

toddalin
09-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Yesterday before taking off for Ian's dinner gathering, I was able to use router then sander bits on the dremel to enlarge the woofer recess on the 10" Cerwin Vega cabinet that had almost fell from the ceiling. (And only put one small gouge in the face that I can easily fix :o: ) Two weeks ago I had reglued the back so the cabinet was ready for testing.

I was testing it using pink noise. I set it on top of my modified L200 and using the "keeper" crossover, was able to switch between the W10GTI mounted in an approximately 1.4 cu ft Vega cabinet, and the 2235 in the L200 cabinet (one port blocked). The Vega cabinet had a tube port out the back, 7" long x 3.5" diameter. This had to be removed to fit the woofer in the cabinet.

The first difference one notes is the efficiency. Whereas with the 2235/L200 I have to run the horn (LE175/HL-91) about 3/4 and the 075 at about 1/4 on the L-pads, with the W10GTI, I can only just crack the L-pads for a beautiful balance and anything beyond that is too bright.

With the hole in the back of the cabinet from the removed port closed off, the W10GTI is beautifully smooth from 60-500 Hz..., much smoother than the 2235/L200. Also, it is far smoother at the 800 Hz crossover point. With the hole in the back of the cabinet open, the speaker becomes boomy with a big peak in the 60 Hz region. But, in this case, it shows very good bass extension down at 32 (about like the 2235 though nowhere near the volume). With the Vega port tube taped over the hole (on the cabinet exterior), the bass is a very nice compromise. I'll probably seal the rear port and mount a slightly longer port though what is now the midrange hole.

Pics are included. Note that even though testing was conducted with the 175/075, the monitors will use the 2425/2370s pictured. The existing mid and tweeter now only serve to fill the holes.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0066.jpg

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/DSC_0067.jpg

johnaec
09-02-2007, 10:41 AM
Have you tried the W10GTi with 3000 watts yet?

:duck:

John

toddalin
09-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Have you tried the W10GTi with 3000 watts yet?

:duck:

John

No, but the W-series are real power hogs that won't run on a couple "tube watts."