PDA

View Full Version : L300 Updated.......finally finished with install

bloatedpig
09-02-2007, 08:51 AM
Just finished my stereo system hook-up after what seemed like forever........The way my room is configured the only way to have any descent size speakers required them to be on either side of the fire place. The problem was I had to use one of the sides for my tv which eliminated any idea of ever having a stereo. 3-years ago after I moved into this house flat-screen tv's were still expensive, so I went with a CRT 34", which weighs 200-lbs and has a lot of depth to it. Fast-forward to 2007 and Plasma/LCD have really come down in price. I talked my wife into putting the 34" in the basement and now have a 50" 1080 TV against a wall that would have never worked with a standard CRT TV.

I took a couple of shots to show the setup. The stereo consists of a Merdian 508.24 cd player, Mark Levinson 380 Preamp, Technics equalizer, and a Nakamichi PA-7 Power Amp. I am running balanced XLR Vampire cables to my CD player and Vampire RCA cables to everything else. Speaker Cables are Cobalt (fantastic sound and bargain). It sits in a Salamander rack with perforated sides and front which allow for great airflow. I had to drill holes down through the floor on each side of the fire place to run the cable which eliminates seeing the cable out front. I also put a lock on it to keep my 2-year old daughters wandering hands away. (Man that PA-7 can get hot after a while).

The sound is simply amazing.............I was so used to the L100's that I had for 20-years that the 300's blew me away. The sound literally fills the room with extreme depth of detail unlike the "in your face" sound of the L100's. (Zilch set me straight on that fact). "Effortless" would be a perfect word to describe the sound. I am currently listening to The Allman Brothers "Live At The Atlanta International Pop Festival" while I'm posting this............This is a must-have for any fans of slide guitar work. Duane Allman is simply amazing. What a true loss of talent 30 some years ago that was, bigger in my opinion to Joplin and Morrison, (but not even close to Hendrix). I enjoy seeing others setups, so I hope these pics don't bore you! PS.......the wide angle shot makes the L300's look small........small they're not! I only weigh 20-lbs more than a single speaker!

Best regards

Storm
09-02-2007, 09:00 AM
Very, very nice.

Contact fellow member - Sourceoneaudio. He designed and manufactured cover plates for the Nakamichi Amps, so they won't run hot.

I thought he had a couple on audiogon, but I guess not.

PM him directly and I am sure he can help.

I have one on my PA-5 and it works beautifully to keeping the heat down.

;)

Now, sit back and Enjoy The Music!

-Storm

and a Nakamichi PA-7 Power Amp. (Man that PA-7 can get hot after a while).

bloatedpig
09-02-2007, 12:12 PM
Thanks Storm for the heads-up on the top-plate...........

Storm
09-02-2007, 02:09 PM
You are more than welcome.

That is what this site is all about - friends helping friends.

;)

-Storm.

Thanks Storm for the heads-up on the top-plate...........