PDA

View Full Version : Storm, here's the Altec Santana cabinets!

jackgiff
09-01-2007, 06:40 PM
Finally got the veneering done on them, and the only things left to finish them is another coat or two of oil, and delivery of the LE14H-3s. I bought a pair of LE14A's that were advertised as 16 Ohms, with the thought that they were probably 8 Ohms, even though the decal said 16. They were. Zilch tells me (after the buy) that ALL LE14A's are 8 Ohms, regardless of what the decal says. That's good to know.

The front edges of the sides were so sharp, that I put them through my table saw, and made a flat edge on the front that finished at about one quarter inch. Made it much easier to veneer them. A corner as sharp as that would have been would have severly stressed the veneer, seeing as how it is paper backed and thicker than just a pure wood veneer. And trying to make two pieces of veneer meet at that angle wasn't anything I wanted to tackle.

They have only had one coat of Watco natural Danish oil, and will probably darken a little after the second and third coats, but it may be awhile before they get those coats. Too many other projects calling.

Thanks again, Storm for the nice Santana cabinets, and thanks to hmolwitz for the free grille frames. Made an interesting pair of computer speakers.

00Robin
09-01-2007, 07:12 PM
And interesting was the best description you could come up with? They are lovely wooden works of art. The grain and finish is just incredibly beautiful. So very,very nice. Nummy. I love them.

Storm
09-01-2007, 09:56 PM
Jack,

Very nice work!

I love em'.

Any chance you would sell them to me?

:)

-Storm

jackgiff
09-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Jack,

Very nice work!

I love em'.

Any chance you would sell them to me?

:)

-Storm

Well, not anytime soon. That is a nice compliment, however, and I thank you for making it. I will have some collector Stephens Trusonic's for sale soon, though.

kingjames
09-02-2007, 03:07 PM
Jack, those are stunning. I envy all the woodworking foumites here.:D

garyl
09-02-2007, 03:26 PM
Very nice Jack! Whats the veneer?

I am thinking maybe brazilian Rosewood or Zebrano.

Gary

jackgiff
09-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Very nice Jack! Whats the veneer?

I am thinking maybe brazilian Rosewood or Zebrano.

Gary

Hi Gary, It is sold as South American rosewood, and is made by Formwood Industries.

Here are the speakers in their working environment. I meant for them to replace the Trusonic pair that are under the desk, but it became apparent to me that my butt would be about tweeter high, and that it would really be "near field."

I will build a pair of stands for them in the next few weeks that will raise them about a foot, and get the horns above the desktop. They sound pretty nice as is, though.

:I simply must edit this post. After listening to vinyl (Charlie Byrd, Herbie Mann, Los Indios Tabajares, among others) for two hours, while sipping suds, these speakers are much better than pretty nice. WOW!! As Tony would say, "They are GREEEEAAT." Thanks Zilch for putting me onto the LE14 two way system. Trusonics would have sounded good, and they surely would have looked as good. But these guys are a close match for my DIY 4430's. They really are that good.

SMKSoundPro
09-06-2007, 11:50 AM
Outstanding job!!!!

I am building the same concept speaker box.

I appreciate a two-way box more than ever before!

Hope all is well with and yours!

Keep sending great pics!

regards,
Scott & Lisa.