PDA

View Full Version : JBL Sub.

Brian DK
08-30-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi. I am thinking on building a Sub.
But I don't know which unit is the best suitable for the job.
For me it is not importen that it go below 20hz, but rather a god punch, and nice tranparent sound.
The Danish consumer recommend the old LE-14.
Is that correct?
Or is there a new an superior unit.?

Brian.

hjames
08-30-2007, 11:33 AM
Just a bit of blasphemy and you can get that God punch - hoboy!

Just kiddink - but I guess you need to tell us what you want to use it for, what kind of music you listen to, what your other gear is like - a good sub should blend in with your other speakers and add the bottom frequencies that your mains don't do quite as well.

OR - if you want it for movies, that is a different strategy.

Hi. I am thinking on building a Sub.
But I don't know which unit is the best suitable for the job.
For me it is not importent that it go below 20hz, but rather a god punch, and nice transparent sound.
The Danish consumer recommend the old LE-14.
Is that correct?
Or is there a new an superior unit.?

Brian.

Brian DK
08-30-2007, 11:39 AM
I wil use it in a standard stereo setup. Not for Movie.
My speakers are K2s9800.
My Amp is Krell Fpb 700cx
Pre is Krell KCT
Cd is Krell kps 28c.
I play very different kind of music.
( nora Jones) (Yello) and so on

Brian

Titanium Dome
08-30-2007, 04:14 PM
If you have the money, a Revel Sub30 or a pair of Revel B15 subs would be my first recommendation to go with K2s. They use JBL drivers.

For building the sub, I'd say that the LE14H-3 is a very good choice based on your needs.

Brian DK
08-31-2007, 01:13 PM
If you have the money, a Revel Sub30 or a pair of Revel B15 subs would be my first recommendation to go with K2s. They use JBL drivers.

For building the sub, I'd say that the LE14H-3 is a very good choice based on your needs.

Are the revel sub with JBL drivers??? Where du JBL use them? in which model?

And what abaut the LE14H-3, which model are they used in??

Titanium Dome
08-31-2007, 01:50 PM
If you have the money, a Revel Sub30 or a pair of Revel B15 or SUB15 subs would be my first recommendation to go with K2s. They use JBL drivers.

Brian DK
08-31-2007, 03:43 PM
The Revel B15 subs have JBL SUB1500s in them.

The LE14H-3 is used in the JBL Performance Series subwoofer module, the PS1400. It's used in the 1400 Array from the Project Array Series. It's also been recommended as a drop-in replacement for the LE14H-1 in the L250, 240Ti, 250Ti, L220, L222, L55, and SC99.

Are you sure?? when i google the revel I get this picture of the driver.
http://peecee.dk/?id=65621

it doesn't look like a jbl driver?

Titanium Dome
08-31-2007, 03:58 PM
Read posts in this thread from 484 to 489.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1790&page=33

and check out this page as well:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-1790.html

Titanium Dome
08-31-2007, 04:04 PM
Even this reviewer gets pretty close to the truth in his second paragraph.

http://www.avrev.com/equip/revelb15sub/index.html

Titanium Dome
08-31-2007, 04:15 PM

If you have the money, a Revel Sub30 or a pair of Revel B15 or SUB15 subs would be my first recommendation to go with K2s. They use JBL drivers.

Originally Posted by Titanium Dome
The Revel B15 subs have JBL SUB1500s in them.

The LE14H-3 is used in the JBL Performance Series subwoofer module, the PS1400. It's used in the 1400 Array from the Project Array Series. It's also been recommended as a drop-in replacement for the LE14H-1 in the L250, 240Ti, 250Ti, L220, L222, L55, and SC99.

Are you sure?? when i google the revel I get this picture of the driver.
http://peecee.dk/?id=65621

it doesn't look like a jbl driver?

Something's wrong with the posts in this thread. :confused: They don't seem right anymore.

MJC
08-31-2007, 09:40 PM

The JBL SUB1500 was the SUB15 w/LE-1 amp, not the B15 sub. I would have liked to have gotten a LE-1 amp to drive my two SUB1500s, but the Crown K2 is a good second choice.
From the Revel web site

The Sub-15/LE-1 combination comprises a powered subwoofer. The electronic section is packaged separately from the driver cabinet for greater flexibility of installation. With its design and deceptively small size, the prodigious output and unprecedented tonal accuracy of the Sub-15 in the deepest octaves come as a surprise when they are first heard. Almost equally important, the features and interchangeable modules of the Ultima LE-1 low-frequency electronics make it possible to customize and adapt this subwoofer optimally to a wide variety of applications. While the appearance of the Sub-15 integrates with that of the Gem loudspeaker, and it makes an ideal companion by matching the exceptional performance of its Revel sibling, the Sub-15/LE-1 will also more easily integrate with other manufacturers’ speakers than any other subwoofer available.
The performance of the Sub-15 would not have been possible without the custom development of its 15-inch transducer. It represents the finest low frequency driver ever produced, combining for the first time the brute force capabilities of sound reinforcement drivers with the nuances necessary for audiophile sound reproduction. Without this proprietary Revel transducer, the performance of the Sub-15 would not be possible.

A few of the technical elements that contribute to this drive’s performance include a heavy wall, cast aluminum alloy frame used to rigidly support and maintain alignment between the massive 32 pound magnetic structure and the moving elements. The ultra-rigid Kevlar® and Kapoc® impregnated cellulose pulp cone body and dome operate as a perfect piston under all conditions, easily reproducing signals that would leave a weaker material in tatters. The massive 4-inch diameter edgewound, flat-wire voice coil in the Sub-15 driver weighs in at an astonishing 0.36 pounds, providing extraordinary power handling and freedom from compression. The long (1¾-inch) coil winding length of this voice coil allows the amplifier section of the LE-1 to always be in control of low frequency signals during high acoustic output.

The design is capable of 1½-inches of peak to peak linear excursion. Virtually all other powered subwoofer designs use various power limiting circuits, motional feedback techniques, or equalization which varies with level to protect their drivers and lower distortion. Extensive blind listening tests have demonstrated that all of methods result in serious sonic coloration. Such sonically degrading methods are not required, due to the Sub-15 transducer’s exceptional ability to handle power that would literally destroy most drivers, together with the huge power capability of the LE-1’s amplifier. The result is a startling clarity and musicality not previously heard in this frequency range.

The amplifier section of the LE-1 is rated for a minimum of 680 Watts RMS into a single Sub-15, and a minimum of 1000 Watts RMS into two Sub-15’s. Unlike typical amplifier specifications, these ratings reflect performance into the actual load presented by one or two Sub-15’s and, by design, will effortlessly drive the woofer(s) to full output.

Brian DK
04-02-2008, 01:04 PM

Some guys on A Danish Forums have been "playing" with the W1500GTI MKII, and they say that it has very good hifi quality, better than expected..:applaud: And the spec. are also very good, they go all the way down to 16hz. that is way lower than W1500H (Array sub).
I know there will be an issue with the Dual 6-ohm voice coils.

But do any of you, have any experience on that driver.?

Regards Brian dk

4313B
04-02-2008, 01:21 PM
Some guys on A Danish Forums have been "playing" with the W1500GTI MKII, and they say that it has very good hifi quality, better than expected..:applaud: And the spec. are also very good, they go all the way down to 16hz. that is way lower than W1500H (Array sub).If the W15GTI MKII was the driver to use in the HB5000 and 1500 Array JBL would be all over it. Both drivers were designed by the same engineer and, although you guys can do whatever you want, there is a reason JBL does what they do. :) We've been over the fact, time and again, that JBL has very specific design goals that aren't always evident to the DIY person. From observation, I think JBL is on a completely different page.

That said, I would suggest all of you use the W15GTI MKII for two major reasons:

1) They are infinitely easier to get than a W1500H.

2) I doubt most would be able to tell the difference. Bass is bass right? And the more the merrier it would seem.

toddalin
04-02-2008, 05:46 PM
Some guys on A Danish Forums have been "playing" with the W1500GTI MKII, and they say that it has very good hifi quality, better than expected..:applaud: And the spec. are also very good, they go all the way down to 16hz. that is way lower than W1500H (Array sub).
I know there will be an issue with the Dual 6-ohm voice coils.

But do any of you, have any experience on that driver.?

Regards Brian dk

Do you mean the W15GTI Mk II? I've been using a W15GTI with good results. It shares my center cabinet with a 2235 (in separate chambers) The W15GTI is in a 4 cu ft chamber with a 4"dia x 14.5" port.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/center-2235-w15gti.jpg

I push it with a Crown PSA-2XH (made special for ShowCo) bridged into mono pushing beau coups watts.

http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/Crown_Face.jpg

The W##GTI series can be used in smaller cabinets than would be expected and still produce lots of deep bass. But, they are relatively inefficient and power hungry especially at 12 ohms.

I liked the W15GTI so much that I redid my four surround speakers with the W10GTIs. (Both go out to beyond 1KHz and my Yamaha can push 170 WPC to the surrounds.)
http://www.largescaleonline.com/eimages/lsolpics/Team_Member_Pics/toddalin/index_011.jpg

mwaldron
04-03-2008, 09:05 AM
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=20599

Don't hesitate at this price point.

Brian DK
04-05-2008, 01:49 PM
Dual 6-ohm voice coils.[/FONT]

What is the idea with the Dual Coils.??
And why is it only used in Car stereo.?

johnaec
04-05-2008, 02:00 PM
What is the idea with the Dual Coils.??
And why is it only used in Car stereo.?Actually, most of JBL's higher-end pro drivers use differential-drive dual voice coils.

John

Brian DK
04-05-2008, 02:34 PM
Actually, most of JBL's higher-end pro drivers use differential-drive dual voice coils.

John

They Do???:confused:
Why... What is good with dual coils, and what is bad.?
I'm sorry if it is a stubid question, but i can't see what the idea with a dual coil is.?:confused:

4313B
04-05-2008, 02:40 PM
And why is it only used in Car stereo.?That's what they were designed for. If you read their documentation you'll see what I mean.

johnaec
04-05-2008, 04:03 PM
What is good with dual coils, and what is bad.?JBL has a ton of info on differential-drive speakers. Here's a good place to start: http://www.jblpro.com/pub/technote/JBL_TN%201-33%20rev3.pdf

The JBL Automotive site also has info on the DD car audio drivers.

John