PDA

View Full Version : How to connect external horns, or multi-amp JBL monitors

Fangio
08-29-2007, 11:31 AM
Hi, was thinking about solutions how to bypass the terminals on the back of the 4343s. Applications are for example if one wants to

- feed more than 1 driver (the 15") directly, i.e. the midbass, or the slot as recommended by G.T.
- use bigger, external horns, and need to lead the wires for the compression driver through the back of the cabinet

Of course I could simply drill a small hole in the backside, I would use quite thin wires. But so far I've been hesitant to do that as I've never seen that anywhere else here, also a bit because of the irreversible change. And still not sure

- where would be the best place,
- how to seal it, and
- did others have a better idea, and would show me how they did it?

Any pros and contras, as well as suggestions how to solve that most elegant are appreciated. Thanks

Chas
08-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Well, I took the bull by the horns with my 4345's. I added two four pin Speak-on's, one high pass and one low pass. Way better than the OEM terminals, xover switch, etc.

The MF is biwired along with the HF/UHF combination and the 2245 is fed by paralleled pairs.

Fangio
08-29-2007, 12:53 PM
Sounds good. Is that a one-way solution?

Sure, installing new terminals would archieve most of the desired flexibility.

In fact thats intended as long term solution, and under construction in hopefully not to far future.

Just curious if there are other approaches.

Fangio
08-29-2007, 01:03 PM
You understand it perfect grumpy. Ideally there would be 4x2 connectors on them, not 2x2.

Probably I just need a bit encouragement, and some more ideas to finally design and replace the terminal plates.

hjames
08-29-2007, 01:08 PM
The ultimate solution is up to you - and your mileage may vary, but with my 4341s, the crossover is in a metal can inside the cabinet mounted to the bottom. There is a wire harness that feeds from there to the various drivers, with a pair of wires headed to the rear terminals. Actually those cheesey push-type connectors.
I took a small piece of 1/2 plywood and replaced that panel with one of my own design, with 2 pairs of connectors. The lower pair directly feeds the 15" woofer, the upper pair feeds the input to the crossover which feeds the other 3 drivers. My original design had the bass signal lines from the crossover coming out through small holes on that panel that could be connected to the banana jacks that feed the woofers.

I pulled those bass feed lines off the lower bananas, and fed the woofers directly when I biAmped them back in June ...
(no funky switches to fail that way!)

Anyway, the picture shows the back of my L-200s that I did the same work to, but the 434xs have the same kind of access plate.

Hi, was thinking about solutions how to bypass the terminals on the back of the 4343s. Applications are for example if one wants to

- feed more than 1 driver (the 15") directly, i.e. the midbass, or the slot as recommended by G.T.
- use bigger, external horns, and need to lead the wires for the compression driver through the back of the cabinet

Of course I could simply drill a small hole in the backside, I would use quite thin wires. But so far I've been hesitant to do that as I've never seen that anywhere else here, also a bit because of the irreversible change. And still not sure

- where would be the best place,
- how to seal it, and
- did others have a better idea, and would show me how they did it?

Any pros and contras, as well as suggestions how to solve that most elegant are appreciated. Thanks

Fangio
08-29-2007, 02:14 PM
Very nice, for biamping Heather.

And for hooking up external horns - anyone?

Lets gather some more modified, or custom terminals. :)

Chas
08-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Sounds good. Is that a one-way solution?

Sure, installing new terminals would archieve most of the desired flexibility.

In fact thats intended as long term solution, and under construction in hopefully not to far future.

Just curious if there are other approaches.

Bi-amp only. Is there any other way to go?:)

Fangio
08-30-2007, 07:04 AM
Yes, obviously..

A major improvement in the upper range would be to drive the 2405 from its own amp ... Take off the passive network to the ring and just feed it straight.Certainly worth a try. Also looking for a way to hook up some smith horns that I got the other day.

Fangio
08-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Might give that a whirl through this bore hole.

Three screws should be enough to hold the terminal in place, and it won't hurt the cab.