PDA

View Full Version : Concrete Blocks as speaker stands

QwertyAccess
08-28-2007, 10:14 PM
I was wondering if someone knew how the properties of a concrete block might affect low frequencies?

Mine look like these, except clean
http://www.rinkermaterials.com/ProdsServices/ConcreteBlock/psConcreteBlock_002.jpg

Currently I'm using four of them to raise my 2 L100T speakers to ear level, I like how it sounds at that level, theres no complaint about that, I'm just rather curious how this affects the bass, It does seem to reduce the vibrations that is sent to the floor considerably, and I'm curious if there is something else I could very easily replace as stands, wood? or some other material.

I do not plan to build anything that would instead tilt the speakers.

From my understanding concrete blocks tend to be reflective of low frequencies.

triold
08-30-2007, 07:30 AM
How strange. Last night I decided to raise my Lancer 99s with, guess what? :) Yup, concrete blocks. Funny, they look just like yours.

Bass seems just fine to me....

Jim

QwertyAccess
09-02-2007, 01:52 AM
Its not really the sound exactly that I'm wondering about, but the amount of vibration that gets dampened, when the speaker has to transfer that force through the concrete block to reach the floor, versus just going to the floor, with concrete blocks you don't feel the vibrations as much. I'm wondering if it gets affected by if the two concrete blocks under the speaker are touching or not, at the moment its a bit spaced apart (so i could position it the way i wanted to). So I was mainly wondering if materials like concrete tend to absorb that more versus other materials which I might be able to use instead to heighten it.

triold
09-04-2007, 07:15 AM
This is not answering your question, but perhaps an analogy might help. The Cornwalls I use (and other klipsch speakers) have wooden 'stands' either to angle them to the listener or get them off the floor. :blah:

For the lancers, I isolated the speaker from the cement block by using wood spacers. Think of the block as being now the floor....I intend to build a wood stand to replace the kinda ugly block. Wife is not too happy with the current setup.

Go to one of the search engines if you haven't already, and type in 'acoustical properties of concrete'. That will keep you busy.....:blink:

Cheers,
Jim