PDA

View Full Version : Building custom Smith Horns (Westlake style)...

ChopsMX5
08-27-2007, 06:56 PM
I've been thinking lately and want to run something by you guys...

I'm seriously thinking about building a set of Smith horns (Westlake Audio style) to use in place of the 511's. They certainly look simple enough to build and I could probably knock all three of them out in one day. I haven't seen these used with Altec 902 drivers, but I'm sure they'll work fine just the same.

Do you guys know how I would go about figuring out the correct size to properly load the 902 down to about 500Hz? I'm guessing it would be about 26" wide at the mouth, about 14" deep, and the lips between 1-3" past the five vanes.

If I go through with this and the horns come out sounding really good, that means I'll have 3 Altec 511B horns up for sell.

Obviously, I'll start out using .75" MDF for the test horns. Once I get them where I want them, I'll build a final set out of some nice hardwood, or some quality 13-ply plywood.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

Thanks

yggdrasil
08-28-2007, 03:29 AM
You might want tolook here: http://audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=5454

Try different settings of f0 and horn height.

ChopsMX5
08-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Hi Johnny,

Thanks for the tip and link!

I'm affraid things will be put on hold for a few weeks though as I am currently out of a job and frantically looking for a new one. :banghead:

Charles