PDA

View Full Version : two woofers 121a on only one L212 ultrabass amplifier

brugui
08-26-2007, 09:28 AM
I am a small italian jbl collector( excuse me for my very bad english:o:),I have a question about a l212 speakers sistem .
Is it possible to plug in parallel a pair of 121a woofers( total 4 ohm) to only one ultrabass amplifier?:blink:
thanks in advance for the answer :applaud:, best regards .
guido

speakerdave
08-26-2007, 11:27 AM
Hi,

Your English seems fine to me. We had an exchange student from Turin living with us when my son was in high school, so I think I can almost here the inflections.

I think your caution may be well-founded. I've never fooled around with these amplifiers, but rather than leave you without an answer, here's what I suggest: Use the search function on these forums to find posts about that amp. You will discover, I believe, that the amplifier is not known to be bullet proof.

Some solid state amplifiers are designed to work well into 4 ohms and some are not. Since that amplifier is specifically designed to drive one woofer there is no guarantee it will be OK with two connected. You did not say whether you are using the original bass module. If not, you might consider shelving the original amp and get a new subwoofer plate amp such as are sold at Parts Express, just as many users of classic JBL monitors build new crossovers and store the original ones rather than modifying them. Those plate amps are designed to handle 4 ohms, since many subwoofer drivers are rated for 4 ohms.

There are at least two members who know this equipment well--MJC and Giskard. Perhaps one of them will chime in here.

David

brugui
08-27-2007, 12:33 AM
Hi,

You did not say whether you are using the original bass module.

There are at least two members who know this equipment well--MJC and Giskard. Perhaps one of them will chime in here.

David

-yes, it's all original and works very well.

-thanks guido

brugui
08-27-2007, 11:04 AM
I hope still to listen and learn something from the precious thought of mr. GISCARD
guido

brugui
08-27-2007, 11:07 AM
I hope still to listen and learn something from the precious thought of mr. GISKARD
guido